SAU Community

Loud Crunch On Cold Start!

make sure its says 100% fully synthetic as apposed to

just synthetic

100% synthetic also doesn't mean it actually is synthetic. Have a read of this

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/go...ils-t22458.html

Re: the problem, I had a similar horrible grating crunch noise when I first started my engine, was the starter motor not disengaging properly.

Also 25w50 in a GTR, jesus. Get some decent 5w40 fully synthetic in there.

Edited by Rolls

Im having a similar sound on my Gts-T R33 , From what i can hear im thinking that its meaby a worn out belt... Im having all of those changed as soon as they arrive as weel as the timing belt tensioner.

Il let you know if it helps my sound go away

100% synthetic also doesn't mean it actually is synthetic. Have a read of this

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/go...ils-t22458.html

Re: the problem, I had a similar horrible grating crunch noise when I first started my engine, was the starter motor not disengaging properly.

Also 25w50 in a GTR, jesus. Get some decent 5w40 fully synthetic in there.

Rolls: What, so you have resolved ur crunch problem? What oil are you using now?

DrPheel: yeah im thinking that the 'timing belt' being louder may be just the belt wearing out.

Edited by R33Turbo

Rolls: What, so you have resolved ur crunch problem? What oil are you using now?

DrPheel: yeah im thinking that the 'timing belt' being louder may be just the belt wearing out.

I got my starter motor rebuilt, I use motul 8100 xcess 5w40 fully synthetic.

I got my starter motor rebuilt, I use motul 8100 xcess 5w40 fully synthetic.

May i ask how much it costed to replace or repair ur 'starter motor'? and where did you go to get this done (If ur in Sydney)?

Thanks alot

I got it done with my major service, think it would just $50 added on. It wasn't really a rebuild he just pulled it apart greased it up and put it back together and it worked fine. You'd probably be up for $100 if you paid someone to do it by itself though.

Any mechanic that knows his stuff should be able to do it. Shop around.

Dude its your starter motor! The exact same thing happened to me in my GT-T when the clutch was going. Took it the mechanics and he said it was covered in clutch dust and was seizing up on start up.... so i'd be checking your clutch while your doin your starter motor.

Is your car consuming oil? Your first post makes me want to ask this question....

Other than that if it is starter motor NRMA come out and replace at your home or work - I think its around the $200 mark.

Dude its your starter motor! The exact same thing happened to me in my GT-T when the clutch was going. Took it the mechanics and he said it was covered in clutch dust and was seizing up on start up.... so i'd be checking your clutch while your doin your starter motor.

SLEEPR85: SPOT ON!!!!!! My clutch is actually going at the moment... !!

So it may seriously be my clutch dust seizing up the start up. Thanks heaps man!

Colossus: Yeh my car is consuming oil properly, ive checked all that. It seriously seems to be cuz of my clutch going, as previously on my other thread on 'WSID Mis-Shift' i may of f*ked it up big time there.

Edited by R33Turbo

• 2 weeks later...