SAU Community

Rb20 Ecu In My Rb25

Hey guys got my r32 skyline over 6 months now and just realised it has a rb20det ecu in it (engine is a rb25det btw). How can this be? I thoght 25 ecu's have different pin outs than rb20 ecu's. Also VCT isnt supposed to work with the rb20 ecu is it? And i think my VCT is working fine... could be wrong though, any way of checking? Anyway just wanna know if anyone can help me work out whether my loom has been modified or something as the ecu hasnt been. Also rb25 power fc works in the car so im just really confused. Any help would be great...

Thanks guys

power fc is managing everything engine wise, standard comp keeping everything else under control... i've been looking into this conversion for a little while now... have you run into any other problems yet?

The computer will plug in to both looms. RB20 Cpu can be remapped / rechipped to suit RB25 and auctually when you want a remapped cpu for a rb25 workshops always use the the rb20 cpu. The reason is the rb20 cpu has a removable chip and is easy to remap / rechip. The rb25 cpu does not have a removable chip and cant easily be upgraded (Upgrade chip to suit Rb25 motor for an Rb20 computer is about $40 + $70 for TV repair type person to install)

Most likely you will have a rb25 engine, rb25 loom and rb20 computer chipped to run a rb25. and of course a rb25 powerfc will fit and not sure what the guy who poste above means but the power fc completely replaces the std computer

Edited by Brokenz

brokenz: thanks that makes sense, so does that mean that the ecu cant work in a rb20 anymore? and could it work in other rb25 engines?

nismoh: no problems mate, all running great. Although i didnt do the engine conversion, bought the car with it already done. Definatley recomend the upgrade though mate

• 2 weeks later...

hey im in the middle of doing the rb20 ecu with a rb25 tune chip on a rb25 but ive connected the computer and the car runs fine but no tacho just wondering if you need to change the tacho wiring on the ecu from pin 7 to pin 5 to suit the rb20 ecu