SAU Community

R33 Hi-flow On Rb20

hey guys,

i have an rb20det in my s13 with a r33 hi flow turbo... it is currently running 12psi through a gfb bleed valve and when it spools up under load up a hill or something it will kind of stutter and the bov will be going crazy untill you hit around 6500rpm and it will start to pull! is it to big for the 20?

is there anyway i would be able to fix this?

it has:

Stock ECU

Stainless Split Dump Pipe

Hybrid FMIC

Custom 2.5" Intercooler Piping

2.5" Dump Back

Bosch 040

thanks in advance :)

take your bov off and see if that will help it could be leakin... maybe search for a vac leak? or it could be coil packs, plugs or your fuel pump... check for leaks first change you plugs them borrow a good set of coilpacks if it doesn't sort it? also could be your fuel flitter long shot but they do funny things sometimes...

sounds like compressor surge. the turbo is developing more air at that rpm range than the engine can eat.

but without a tune you really don't know what you are dealing with. who built the hiflow?

i had an rb25hiflow on an rb20 and it was insane, 240rwkw and smooth as factory. you can tune the standard ecu to fix the problem if needed, pm me for more details if needed. cheers

sounds like compressor surge. the turbo is developing more air at that rpm range than the engine can eat.

but without a tune you really don't know what you are dealing with. who built the hiflow?

that would be my best guess... will a re-map fix this or even a safc?

its a gfb vee-port :laugh:

oh and it dosent detonate so would be plugs or coils

Make sure the BOV is adjusted/tensioned propperly if its an adjustable one. It might be set too weak.

took the vacuum line off the bov today n took it for a drive and its still doing it out the pod filter :P its not so bad in 2nd gear... if u gradually accelerate it will do it but if u flatten it, it will do fine n hit boost hard n wheelspin but 3rd and 4th u cant even get it to boost smoothly...

Compressor surge.

Most likely because the turbo was built for a 2.5L not 2L.

Depending on what compressor wheel has been used and how much meat is left in the inlet snout you may be able to have some port shrouding machinated into the compressor cover.

If there is not enough meat left in the snout. The snout on the factory compressor cover will need to be machined off and a bigger inlet snout machined up and put in with the port shrouding in it.

Where are you located?

Maybe take the turbo back to where you purchased it and see if they can help.

I’d say they will probably want to charge to do either option since the turbo was for a RB25 but see how you go.

If you have no luck MR Turbo Australia / Billet Turbochargers can help you out.

Regards,

Ricky.