SAU Community

Anyone Able To Make Me One Of These?

Silver_R34_GT-T

its just some bent and cut sheet metal. make your own

i'll even go as far as to say the pictured one doesnt look like it'd be that effective, as its not insulated, and quite thin, therefore radiant heat will begin to soak that whole box after a while

have a search, theres quite a few threads, including DIY's about airboxes

Edited by Munkyb0y

as long as you run some kind of air feed into the box, the radiant heat from the thin wall wont have as much effect.

i use a copy of that partition on my blue car, just modified to take a 100mm intake pipe.

i just made an airbox out of perspex the other day.

i lined it inside with some silver faced heat resistant foam. but it didnt look very subtle under the clear perspex. so i thought i might paint it black on the inside.

in the process of testing paint on a scrap piece, i decided to see how it deals with heat.

i was surprised to find the perspex is pretty damn heat resistant. i placed a piece on my palm, and aimed a jet flame at it till it started to melt, but i didnt get any heat on my palm. i'm impressed !!!

so there you have it. perspex. easy to work with. easy to shape. cheap, and pretty effective.

obviously not painted yet. and i will probably only insulate the side, not top.

post-29392-1216045855_thumb.jpg post-29392-1216045873_thumb.jpg post-29392-1216046440_thumb.jpg

Edited by Munkyb0y

Tony just be careful with what paint you use on the perspex as it can actually change its heat resistance and course it to warp easier (found out the hard way)

Underbody car spray (sound deadner) is what we found to be the best, it will not only help to reduce the heat you can make your box out of thinner materials and apply a couple of layers of the spray to add the thickness :)

If your going to use heat resistant paint for it then paint both sides and clear the outside only :D

thanks for the tip

i was going to use some regular spray paint on it ('fiddly bits' quick drying). i already tried it out on some scrap pieces, and found it stuck quite well, and looks good. the matt seems to work better than the gloss too.

but i didnt consider that it might affect its properties. it doesnt seem to have penetrated the perspex at all.

why do you suggest painting both sides?

thanks for the tip

i was going to use some regular spray paint on it ('fiddly bits' quick drying). i already tried it out on some scrap pieces, and found it stuck quite well, and looks good. the matt seems to work better than the gloss too.

but i didnt consider that it might affect its properties. it doesnt seem to have penetrated the perspex at all.

why do you suggest painting both sides?

We used spray paint the first time and i scratch the service with some wet and dry the first time in aid of helping it stick. Now im not sure if it was the cheap paint and its materials or the roughing of the surface but after fitting the first box after about 15mins of testing we could smell it, pulled back into the pits and noticed that the paint had started to blister and was damaging the perspex :)

Second time around i tried a few test pieces as well to see what would work the best, the one that was painted both sides and cleared on the outside seemed to give it that little bit more heat resistance and didn't blister the paint at all (still not really showing signs of heat penetration) after 4 track days and 3 test days.

The one that was only painted on the inside showed signs of wear after a while and started to bubble. All i can put it down to is that its heated up from the outside in and baked the paint in the same way.

If you dont feel like paying the extra money for stuff like VHT you can use standard acrylic. In the final few coats add some clear to the paint to help thicken it before doing a full clear. We paint all our engines/pieces like this and never have any drama's from heat issues.

Main reason the matte working better than the gloss is its final finish when dry, to give the paint that gloss look it has other additives to do so (obviously :down: ) but unless you were to add a few coats of clear to help harden it then the standard spray paints heat resistance is only about 200'C (from memory) something like VHT is about 500'C and your acrylic paint if done correctly the same.

Try not to paint the box when its too cold/hot or you will have sticking issues as well and lead to a shorter longevity of the paint life.

Hope it all works out and post up how it goes :D

Cheers Ben

ok, thanks ben

at this stage i'm thinking its easier to buy some black perspex :down:

will keep you updated

:) i said the samething to myself afterwards as well but its all a learning curve hey.

Only reason i used clear was because we had it laying around and i was going to get artsy fartsy and spray it with a carbon fibre look :D

what kind of temps would you expect to see at the airbox anyway?

i cant imagine its over 100c, or even close really. my guess is about 60ish degrees max on the outside face.

Can someone host some pics for me and I'll show you my go at something similar ?

Email me [email protected] and I'll send them to you !

upload them in your post, like i did. easy. just make sure the file size is reasonable. nothing massive.

Edited by Munkyb0y

i made a cold air intake snorkel lol fo rmy car and my brothers car, made outta 20 bucks worth of plumping supplies from bunnines, sprayed em black and fitted into place where stock intercooler goes, has a massive funnel thats like the same size as a stock intercooler, that funnels down into a 2.5 inch pipe that then curves up and stops right underneither my pod,

all i need now is the sheilding around the pod and im done :D

Hey Bryn, got any pics of it ? I would love to see it, because im sure im gonna' be pretty bored this Saturday and need something to do!

I also wanna' know if anyone would goto the trouble of making me a prespex box :D.. clear!

PM me or post here ;)

MRXTCZ

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Bryn, got any pics of it ? I would love to see it, because im sure im gonna' be pretty bored this Saturday and need something to do!

I also wanna' know if anyone would goto the trouble of making me a prespex box :banana: .. clear!

PM me or post here :P

MRXTCZ

youd be better off to have a non-seethru airbox imo, if youv got a pod in it. that way police wont think your car is as modded as it may be. sleeper styles the best :( as stock looking as possible is deff the way imo, for a street car.