SAU Community

V35 Timming Belts Same As 350z ?

I was on the G35 forums and came across G35 timming belts apparently they are chains,which means you dont need to be replaced at 100,000kms service ? can anyone confirm this ?

Well, still is there any chance that the chains will develop stress fatique and failed? I would think even chains would need some maintenance, just perhaps a lot longer than 100,000km ?

The other engine I was told had chains on them is the SR20, so anyone with 200SX is there any timing belt/chain replacement in their service schedule?

Yep, correct.

The VQ35 has a timing chain and not a timing belt.

I have a Maxima with the VQ35 and confirmed this. Basically i have heard the chain may need to be re-tensioned (if thats a word) but as a guide, the recommended replacement time for the chain is 200000miles!!!

I was getting ready to fork out for a new belt on the Maxima until my mechanic told me he confirmed it's a chain. Looked into it a fair bit and found it was correct. Checked the workshop manual for the V35 and yep, it's a chain.

Well, still is there any chance that the chains will develop stress fatique and failed? I would think even chains would need some maintenance, just perhaps a lot longer than 100,000km ?

The other engine I was told had chains on them is the SR20, so anyone with 200SX is there any timing belt/chain replacement in their service schedule?

Well the G35 members were saying that the chain based doesnt need to be replaced at 100,000 like the belt driven one, they last as long as the life of the engine.

Yep, correct.

The VQ35 has a timing chain and not a timing belt.

I have a Maxima with the VQ35 and confirmed this. Basically i have heard the chain may need to be re-tensioned (if thats a word) but as a guide, the recommended replacement time for the chain is 200000miles!!!

I was getting ready to fork out for a new belt on the Maxima until my mechanic told me he confirmed it's a chain. Looked into it a fair bit and found it was correct. Checked the workshop manual for the V35 and yep, it's a chain.

Sweet thats aswome i am gunna hold you responsible if you are wrong ! :)

Done a bit search and yes looks like it's all timing chain for VQ engines... looks like Nissan finally realised the painstaking effort required to replace timing belt in their previous V6 platform, the 300ZX's VG30 series... it's a nightmare job

That's good as that means we'll save that $600-800 cost to replace timing belt @ 100,000km, however that also mean any car done 200,000km in Japan can be wound back to a sweet 70,000km without anyone knowing as there's no timing belt change stamped on the engine cover anymore!

But 200,000 miles said - that's a lot of km, 360,000km approximately, the transmission probably have been needing a rebuild or two before the timing chain is due!

If I'm wrong we can both rock up to my mechanics together!!

Nah, pretty sure it should be sweet, as have read exactly the same on G35Driver. I actually spun out at first cause they were saying change at 200000. Then i remembered they use miles.

I'm pretty sure I'll check again when i get to 100000km's cause I'm kind of anal about things like that :-)

Forgot to add, if you see the complexity in removing and refitting a timing chain, you'll see why they've made them last 200000miles.

The process includes

Drain Coolant

Drain oil

Separate Engine harness

Remove Intake manifold collectors

Remove Cooling fan assembly

Remove A/C compressor

Remove Power steering pump

Remove Alternator

And that's just a few. Putting it back together seem twice as complex :-)

So I was told about the chain as well by my mechanic on my Maxima. He also mentioned how difficult it is to change the spark plugs, which is why they're platinum and only scheduled at 100k kms. Not sure if that's entirely true and if it applies to the V35 (being RWD vs FWD).

So I was told about the chain as well by my mechanic on my Maxima. He also mentioned how difficult it is to change the spark plugs, which is why they're platinum and only scheduled at 100k kms. Not sure if that's entirely true and if it applies to the V35 (being RWD vs FWD).

The plugs on a Maxima are a MASSIVE job.

I bought a set not to long ago, but once i started, decided to stop about 5 mins into it.

Basically the whole top half of the motor virtually has to come apart. It defiantely though is different on the V35, as being FWD the Maxima's engine is in a east/west config, where as the V35 is north/south, and thus much easier.

The prob with the Max is that the induction system run over the top of the motor. it seems the front 3 plugs should be able to be changed without too much fuss, but the rear 3 are a nightmare.

The plugs on a Maxima are a MASSIVE job.

I bought a set not to long ago, but once i started, decided to stop about 5 mins into it.

Basically the whole top half of the motor virtually has to come apart. It defiantely though is different on the V35, as being FWD the Maxima's engine is in a east/west config, where as the V35 is north/south, and thus much easier.

The prob with the Max is that the induction system run over the top of the motor. it seems the front 3 plugs should be able to be changed without too much fuss, but the rear 3 are a nightmare.

It is fine. I got my plugs changed when My 350GT first pass the compline. My Mechanic said it is not a hard job, he also said the orgional plug is already DENSO platium all around. He can not see it is factory or pervious owner upgrade them. But I change them anyway.

There is a D.I.Y on replacing spark plugs on V35 on youtube courtesy of G35 forums, it looks tough alot of items needs to come off

Edited by MFC05

There is a D.I.Y on replacing spark plugs on V35 on youtube courtesy of G35 forums, it looks tough alot of items needs to come off

Yep it's not simple but no where near as complex as the maxima :-)

It has being confirmed guys ive check with a couple of suppilers that supplies V35 / G35 Part and they have all told me it is timming chain. So there you go guys if your car is close to 100,000km you wont need to worry about the timming belt ! :(

In terms of maintenance though, (i have a VQ30det) while the engine is already slightly apart, is there something (like a tensioner) that would be a good idea to check / tighten / lube while i have relative ease of accessing?

All i need to remove (as far as i remember) is the cover as all the auxileries are already off the block.