SAU Community

Snow In Wa?

Stinky Rooster

So, has anyone here been down to Bluff Knoll to see the snow?

I am thinking of heading down south for a look, and was looking for any pics, hints or tips. Neither me, my wife or either of my daughters have ever seen snow before, (and I get a road trip out of it too! :( )

So - your snow hunting tips, give them to me.

Oh, and before anyone starts up about how it rarely snows in wa, here is a list of recorded snow falls from just the last 10 years

2007 Oct 27 Stirlings Snow on Bluff Knoll from 8am, continuing throughout day. Snowflakes reported in Katanning for about 30 seconds at 11am.

2005 Sep 27 Stirlings Light dusting of snow on Bluff Knoll

2005 Aug 30 Stirlings Patchy snow up to 1cm on Bluff Knoll

2005 Aug 18 Stirlings Snow 5cm deep remained on Bluff Knoll after overnight falls

2005 Jul 06 Lake Johnston Falling snow and sleet sighted by truck drivers at Lake Johnston, west of Norseman

2005 Jul 05 Stirlings Snow fell on the Stirling Ranges but did not settle on ground, though some remained in bushes

2004 Aug 28 Stirlings Snow up to 1cm deep covered Bluff Knoll above 900m level

2003 Aug 22 Stirlings, Ongerup, Gnowangerup, Jerramungup, Nyabing and near Lake King Snow fell in various parts of the Great Southern around 7am including Gnowangerup, Ongerup, Jerramungup, Nyabing and near Lake King. Up to 7cm of snow at a farm 35km SE of Nyabing. The Stirlings had 2.5cm of snow at 1pm. Most widespread fall since the 1992 snow events.

2003 Jul 22 Stirlings There was 2cm of snow reported on Bluff Knoll

2002 Jul 12 Stirlings Hail was widespread across the southwest and snow fell on the Stirling Ranges for the first time in several years

1999 Sep 15 Stirlings A blanket of snow covered the upper reaches of the Stirling Range; some of the deeper portions of snow persisted for most of the day

1999 Sep 03 Stirlings A light covering of snow was observed on Bluff Knoll 1998 Jul 26 Stirlings 20cm of snow on Bluff Knoll lasting up to three days.

1998 Jun 11 Stirlings Light fall of snow on Bluff Knoll

I've never seen snow either. Back when I was a youngin' living in Collie (probably 15yrs back now), it snowed over like a 1sqm patch out in the middle of the bush :)

I've never seen snow either. Back when I was a youngin' living in Collie (probably 15yrs back now), it snowed over like a 1sqm patch out in the middle of the bush :)

LOL

It snowed when I was living there too - out near Ewington apparently, but we went rushing out there to see a big heap of mud and that was it :rofl:

If you have never been to Bluff Knoll be prepared for a hard climb.

The steps are all over the place and its a bloody long way to the top.

Even more fun coming down........ :ermm:

Top of the Hindu Kush....

Can see Everest from there in Summer....

Wanna see something funny, all the aussie's running around in -12 degree weather whilst everyone else is inside...

Good Times

30secs of snow every 2 years. I hope you time it well. Otherwise its just gonna be stupid cold for no real payoff. Prolly not work packing your skis but id bring some gloves.

Snow is fun, you can go real fast on it with out and major fear of hurting yourself, except for trees and lifts and stuff, those hurt.

snow is certainly fun and a good experience. in 2001 i went back to poland and i hadnt touched snow for about 8 years i forgot how cold it was there i went out side without any gloves on playing with snow. didnt hit me till about an hour of playing with snow my hands went numb. came back inside and i had sharp pains in my hands for around 2 days. its defenetly fun if your not an idiot like i was haha

I've never seen snow either. Back when I was a youngin' living in Collie (probably 15yrs back now), it snowed over like a 1sqm patch out in the middle of the bush :D

im a collie boy too. and so is dale (went to school with his sister). small world

(missed the post by dale above) :D

Edited by Pal

im a collie boy too. and so is dale (went to school with his sister). small world

(missed the post by dale above) :P

far ken oath it is - one of the guys i am sharing an office with atm, is the brother of my old english teacher at high school!

i left after my apprenticeship in 92. lived there for 14 years. what was the teachers name dale, coulda been one of mine too

Edited by Pal

Eric - Lisa Cary was her name (she married a farmer down there and her married name escapes me ATM but she had a voice like a bloke :)

Anywhoo, back on topic, I just got back from the road trip, and to all youse doubters I can only say Har Tee Har Har Har!

We got snowed on twice on the way up Bluff Knoll, and pretty much constantly for about one third of the return. There was snow everywhere, and at the best spots it got to about 30mm thick. We all enjoyed a snowball fight, and a guy from channel 7 news caught the action on film. If you have ever even thought about doing this, I can't be emphatic enough, just do it!!! It was the experience of a lifetime, and my kids have told me they are gonna remeber it for the rest of their lives (and so will I)

Pics (and yes, I am crap with a camera)

snowtrip059.jpg

yeah LICK IT BIATCH!!!!

snowtrip066.jpg

This looked like the edge of the world!

snowtrip076.jpg

The first snow storm to hit us

snowtrip041.jpg

This is taken from a little under half way up looking at the road to the car park - awesome drive too!!

snowtrip100.jpg

i grew up in Cranbrook the gateway to the stirlings saw snow most years through the 60's and 70's and climbed bluff knoll most years there was snow on it

Dan - apparently it happens quite frequently, but you have to watch the weather really carefully, because its a fairly specific set of conditions that cause it. Oh, and we were told that that much snow is quite rare. Even the lady at the caravan park tried to warn us that we may end up only seeing enough for a single snowball.

Brad - Yep, it was, but you need to take a LOT of warm clothes, which are a drag carrying up there, but when you get there you appreciate them, also, it is a LONG and very steep climb. The track is awesome, its pretty impossible to lose it but it is damn hard work getting up there (but soooo worth it)

snowtrip060.jpg