SAU Community

Starting Probs... R32.

Yeah hey guys, lately the skyline is getting really hard to start, I can hear the starter motor wind but the engine just won’t start and run. Eventually after 3 or 4 cranks the car will start but yeah, pissing me off a little.

So I took the car to the auto leco and they took and cleaned the spark plugs as well as reduced the gap to .8 then started on the injectors cleaned the crap on the bottom of one before they ran out time. This cost $175 and there is no improvement what so ever! They said they will clean the other 5 injectors but that’s going to cost $500!!

Has anyone else had this problem before i spend heaps more?

Car:

R32 GTS-t Japan Import

just bumping this up for pat, basically, it turns over but doesn't fire. You need to do crank it for a few seconds, stop then do it again the. Touch the acc pedal then try again, and it'll fire. It doesn't have the prob when it's warm ie.itll start first go if you start it up again after you've been for a drive

just bumping this up for pat, basically, it turns over but doesn't fire. You need to do crank it for a few seconds, stop then do it again the. Touch the acc pedal then try again, and it'll fire. It doesn't have the prob when it's warm ie.itll start first go if you start it up again after you've been for a drive

How many km's does your R32 have on it? I know this is a long shot, but you could be losing compression as the worst scenario case. 500 seems a bit steep mate, you can start looking at buying new injectors at that price. Maybe change the plugs and have a look at the coilpacks. What's your oil pressure like? and level? Just a bit of looking around, hard to know what it could be, but by the sounds of it you must think it is electronic taking it to an auto electrician. Try a local mechanic or a reputable mechanic you can trust (if you have one) I haven't got one yet...

Do you work on your car much?

Maybe start tinkering and gain some general knowledge in how your car goes (sry to sound blunt) can help in the diagnostic stages.

Hope that helps :rofl::)

Sam.

I have this problem. not as bad as yours though. mine starts then stalls. my mechanic my injecters are leaking slightly and he said it will be hard to start when cold. mine is also fine as soon as it starts once, then is fine for the rest of the day. its just first start in the morning is rough.

Good luck with it

How many km's does your R32 have on it? I know this is a long shot, but you could be losing compression as the worst scenario case. 500 seems a bit steep mate, you can start looking at buying new injectors at that price. Maybe change the plugs and have a look at the coilpacks. What's your oil pressure like? and level? Just a bit of looking around, hard to know what it could be, but by the sounds of it you must think it is electronic taking it to an auto electrician. Try a local mechanic or a reputable mechanic you can trust (if you have one) I haven't got one yet...

Do you work on your car much?

Maybe start tinkering and gain some general knowledge in how your car goes (sry to sound blunt) can help in the diagnostic stages.

Hope that helps :rofl::)

Sam.

with regards to the 500 being steep, and being able to buy new injectors for that price, thats exactly what i said. previously it had a misfire under loading, in boost, at about 3-4k, but that was resolved by re-gapping the sparkplugs like pat said. I also suggested it may be coilpacks, but seeing as how the plugs fixed the miss, im leaning towards injectors.

The other day when we went for a cruise, oil pressure seemed a little low, but i dont see how this would affect the start up...

Fuel pump!! Change it and the filter.

nah, it has a pretty new aftermarket pump, but the fuel filter might need a change

So many key board mechanics. Meaning well = $

I own an R32 and a mechanic. You need to describe the problem as a cold start issue to anyone you see about it. My cold start has gotten progressively worse since i had mine imported. It used to roar into life when I first bought it and i've only ever treated with the best oil which I suspect has been most R32's undoing. Now when you start it first thing in the morning it will cough and fart for a few seconds until oil pressure builds up properly through the motor.

So, what you, me and everyone else is dealing with is 16+years of redline abuse causing the lifters to bleed down gradually overnight. When your lifters are down your valves don't open. no air and fuel which results in no bangy bangy. When you are cranking you are effectively waiting for the lifters to refill with oil to bring them back up to operate the valves.

Just an idea anyway. hope that helps.

P.S. if you take it to a mechanic A. make sure it is a good one that knows skylines and B. tell them exactly what happens and when. (You cannot leave out vital information like it is a cold start issue or you are wasting thier time and your money) and C. you will have to leave the car for several days possibly, for them to experience it themselves.

with regards to the 500 being steep, and being able to buy new injectors for that price, thats exactly what i said. previously it had a misfire under loading, in boost, at about 3-4k, but that was resolved by re-gapping the sparkplugs like pat said. I also suggested it may be coilpacks, but seeing as how the plugs fixed the miss, im leaning towards injectors.

The other day when we went for a cruise, oil pressure seemed a little low, but i dont see how this would affect the start up...

nah, it has a pretty new aftermarket pump, but the fuel filter might need a change

I regards to the oil pressure I happen to know someone with a black S2 R33. His oil pressure is quite low and at idle can stall. The car has something like 90XXX km's or so on it and seems to be in farely good nic. How long since your last oil change? Oil gradually becomes thinner as time goes on as you most probably know, which can result in a gradual decrease in pressure. Get some new oil in there :(

I plan on gapping my plugs to .8mm sometime today, not running extremely high boost, but my idle is a little rough.

The oil change will probably not fix your problems, but it can play a factor in an old engine I think, and will help to rule the whole pressure thing out if your leaning that way. If you have recently changed the oil or it is within 5000km's, then don't bother. I would definately put some money on the fuel filter though. I used to get missing and it seems to emphasise the effect with an old filter (going to change again soon, being a bit tight tho because I just bought a new socket set). From what you have said, the fuel pump. etc. is new, so maybe there is restriction possibly caused by the filter - although not neccessarily, because the problem is cold start related, which can lead to questions relating to the age of the engine and the wear. etc. Do some good researching on the rb's and find out what might be problematic in older engines :rofl: which is all I can say.

Could be time for new coilpacks. Investigate the issue further, not really too sure as to what it might be, maybe try PM'ing some of the more experienced members or search for symptoms on the site. Look at the more specific details which may help you cut the variables down on what could be causing the problem, specific sounds.etc.

Hope you can find the problem and fix it mate.

If you have any clues on bucket seats - check my thread :D ha ha.

Sam.

Edited by Ki_spirit