SAU Community

Dont Know To Much About Actual Turbos (nube Quest)

hey guys i was thinking about upgrading the tubo off my rb20 with a hi flowed rb25turbo ...

I wanted to know .. . what does reconditioning a turbo actually mean ... does it almost bring it back to a "brand new" condition?

I just want to know the life expectancy ...(thats saying if i play by the rules and not break it by being stupid)

thanks for you help

when u recondition a turbo u are bringing the power parts and internals back to new by replacing them.

basically u put new shaft, new wheels, new bearings etc while keeping the same housings. when u hi flow the housing the outside of the housing is the same but the internal diametre of the housing is machined so its bigger.

hope that helps

all of the parts that wear out or become worn are replaced when you hiflow a turbocharger

- bearings

- wheels (exhaust and compressor)

the exhaust snout is bored out and a larger compressor wheel is fitted (new also).

so it can flow more exhaust gas and drive a bigger wheel. a new larger compressor is fitted.

which in turns drives more air into the engine (hence power increases).

finally its all balanced out to make it prefect at 100,000+ rpm.

the only parts that are retained are the housings, and main core.

this is because there is no need to replace or change them and it only adds more cost, plus it wouldnt mate up to the std items if the housings, flange etc changed.

so a highflow of a turbo does two things

- service of the turbo

- increase power

if you organise a std service/recondition of the turbo they may just replace the bearing pack (commonly known as a CHRA) and balance it again

i am insure if they would replace the exhaust and compressor wheels at a 100,000 km service for example

ah nice lil read :(

Im a noob too and always wondered if highflowing was the same as reconditioning :D

You can recondition your turbo where they just replace all the old parts with new parts (will make same power as before just be more reliable)

or you can hiflow the turbo where they replace all the worn parts with larger brand new parts (will make more power and more reliable)

without hijaking thread.....When a turbo is highflowed is the ceramic wheel upgraded or just a new ceramic one? What sort of psi could a standard r33 gtst highflowed support?

from what ive read, when a turbo is hiflowed it is replaced with a larger steel wheel. I dont think a ceramic wheel can handle high amounts of boost pressure which these hiflows are built for