SAU Community

R34 Service

hotchoc

Guys,

Will be doing my first 5000k service in 2 weeks time for my R34. Last service was done during compliance. Car's done 55000 kms now

The car is pretty stock

- Blitz Nur Cat Back

- Apexi Pod

Do you know what i should ask for the 5k service or what's normally done in the first 5k service? Do you guys bring yr own parts?

So far my list:

Oil filter - Ryco Z145A

Spark plugs - NGK BKR6EIX (not sure to go 1.1mm or 0.8mm)

Oil - Motul 300W

What about brake fluid, clutch fluid, gear box oil, diff oil, power steering oil, coolant flush etc? Should i just leave these to the workshop ?

Many thks

Edited by hotchoc

How many km's has the car done overall?

If you can find out what was done at compliance it would be easier.

No point changing gearbox oil if the compliance workshop did it, etc.

Car's done 55000kms. Bought it at 52000kms. Prefer a fresh new start if you know what i mean so i can keep track in the future

Here's the list that was done. Anything else i should be looking into?

Brake fluid replaced

Park Brake Linings: 44060-37P25

OEM front and rear brake pads fitted and in Roadworthy Condition

Replaced Air filter: 16546-V0100

Replaced fuel filter: 16400-41B05

Replaced oil filter: Z145

New Catalytic converter fitted: Supercat 91006

New Charcoal canister fitted: 14950-27Y00

What's an air filter used for (is this the air con filter?). Replaced Air filter p/n 16546-V0100. Do you know what part/brand is this ?

Replaced fuel filter p/n 16400-41B05. Do you know what part/brand is this ?

Replaced oil filter p/n Z145. Looks like the Ryco brand i'm thinking of getting myself.

and what's a charcoal canister btw?

Edited by hotchoc

charcoal canister is an emissions thingy, that usually resides near you pods/airbox.

Going off my highly accurate google pic search, Air filter p/n 16546-V0100 is you intake airbox filter... this won't need to be changed for quite a while.

Realistically if your not doing the work yourself, just tell your workshop of choice what has been done recently and they can take it from there.

Shouldn't have any big issues till you hit 100K, this service should only be a minor service/checkup.

the 16 filter numbers and nissan oem part numbers

from memory air filter "generic" part number is a360 and fuel is z201

if you resonably confident the compliance workshop did their job then leave them for a while . cat and charcoal cansister leave for another 80000km

you dont have to get a ryco filter , z145 is a ryco part number but any filter brand will have a corrisponding part for z145

clutch fluid, gear box oil, diff oil, power steering oil, coolant flush are not dont usually at compliance , but some do . change them and check the plugs , replace if necessary .

if your fussy that is

thks guys. anything else?

what about checking condition of drive belts, brakes, suspension, oil leaks and a coolant system pressure test ?

is it necessary?

If your getting a minor service all of this is included in the service!

If your doing it yourself, for the belt check the inside of the belt to see any cracks, if no cracks its all good!

Brakes can be checked by using verniers (measuring the rotors) and pads just look by the eye!

If you can get under the car its the easiest way to look for leaks, if there is leaks look at the highest point of your engine and work your way down!

As for coolant, once the engine is cold take the cap off and see if your radiator is full, if it is than its unlikely you have a leak, maybe even flush it out and replace it, coolants not all that expensive, i would get techaloy 100, or if your rich the toyota red coolant (dont know the name).

Hope it answers your question.... if its still to hard bring it to a workshop to get it serviced!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

Just got the car back from servicing

Been invoiced these:

1. Oil filter - Z145A

2. Motul 300V chrono 1 litre 10W40 - apparently 34 require 5 litres of oil

3. Motul HD gear oil 1 litre 80W90

4. Nissan Oem coolant (flushed and replaced)

5. Labour (approx 2.5 hrs)

- supplied 4 litres of chrono oil myself

- supplied Iridium plugs

note:

1. Topped up gearbox and diff fluid

2. Checked brakes

3. Silicon sprayed rubber bushes at rear - car was making squeaking sound whenever i go thru bumps. It's still making sds but not as loud as before.

- been told car's in pretty good condition and has been taken care of. only thing that requires attention from the mechanic POV is the low level of the gearbox and diff fluid which has been topped out.

- also brake pads front are 60% worn and 20& worn at the rear

Questions

~~~~~~

1. Should i replace the bushes or just wait for coils ? Coils are coming in the next 3-4 mths time. Any possible damage while prolonging this ?

2. What's the gearbox and diff fluid used for (noobie question)

3. Are the brake pads condition of concern at those levels?

4. What's the price range when it comes to 5k services like these (brought my own plugs and oil and also the first 5k service since compliance)

Many thks :D

1. Should i replace the bushes or just wait for coils ? Coils are coming in the next 3-4 mths time. Any possible damage while prolonging this ?

For the age of the car, all your bushes should be fine... but bushes are a seperate entity to coilover/shocks

Keeps the internal gears of respective items lubricated & cool, good thing they were topped up.

Seems fine, rears usually get change once for every 4-5 front changes IIRC.

Fronts will be due for a change within the next few services, dependant on driving style :D

4. What's the price range when it comes to 5k services like these (brought my own plugs and oil and also the first 5k service since compliance)

Small services are usually in the ballpark of $200... dependant on what actually gets done/supplied.

I never notice as i have always done the old "kill two birds with one stone"

For the age of the car, all your bushes should be fine... but bushes are a seperate entity to coilover/shocks

Keeps the internal gears of respective items lubricated & cool, good thing they were topped up.

Seems fine, rears usually get change once for every 4-5 front changes IIRC.

Fronts will be due for a change within the next few services, dependant on driving style :D

Small services are usually in the ballpark of $200... dependant on what actually gets done/supplied.

I never notice as i have always done the old "kill two birds with one stone"

1. Just had a read on bushes for a general idea - http://www.vftbushes.com/controlarms.htm

- are you saying even after i've changed a set of coils, the squeking problem will still remain until the bushes are replaced?

- if so, what's the common bushes ppl go for for 34s ?

- the guy did say it's advisable to go for aftermarket ones instead of stock nissans to save in costs.

- one thing as well, i have the stock suspension with aftermarket lowered springs. i've read sumwhere that this might be the cause of the sd. care to explain ?

2. Let's just say service was around the $350 level. I'm kinda suprised it came up to this high given i've supplied the oil and plugs but given it's the first 5k service along with a coolant flush can't really say much. Any thoughts to this?

Edited by hotchoc

For a service like that, $350 sounds about right. At about $90-100 an hour, thats pretty good.

As for the bushes, go Whiteline or Nurathan. We use Nurathane (However you spell it) from Repco, but these cars are all stock. Whiteline would be your best bet. Better performance then stock as well.

As for your lowered springs, the shocks arent used to such reduced travel, so it will wear them out quicker. However, a car that old, its highly unlikely it's going to cause much trouble yet. Keep it until the coil overs arrive.

And Tristian is right, the bushed have nothing to do with the stuts and shocks. There are:

Strut bushes

Sway bar bushes

Sway bar link bushes

Thats the most common ones, gotta stick my head under my car to see what other ones our cars have, but they dont usually wear for a while. Serviced a 1983 WB Statesman (Brian Burkes old car!!) the other day, and all the stock bushes were still in place, although I did replace half of them. Just goes to show how long the stock ones actually last. Hope that answers some question for you. Any more, just talk to me on MSN.

I have a full range of bushes available on the shelf for the car should you need quotes/parts/fitting or what ever.

Call me on the number below should you need :huh:

Cheers

Brad

Hey Brad,

Spoke to Rhys and he recommended seeing you as well :D

Will give you a call this week