SAU Community

Mods while timing belt replacement?

Jetdat

Hello all;

As i am nearing 100k on the clock i am researching timing belt and components replacement.

My questions are as follows:

1) As well as the belt and the tensioners i will also replace the water pump, however should i replace any other component(s)?

2) Would you recommend making any modifications or fitment of any aftermarket parts such as cam gears while this work is carried out?

3) Who in melb (near south east if possible) can i trust to have these done without getting ripped off?

4) Approx. what are the costs involved?

I should add that the car is a sII R33 GTS-T, stock apart from cat back exhaust and air pod, but soon to have custom 3inch dump/front pipe and high flow cat.

Any information will be valuable.

Thanks!

Guest INASNT

u might aswell grab yourself an adj exhaust cam gear and wack in on there while u r changing the timing belt. When my cam gear went on i got the timing belt changed 2!

Adj cam gears sound good....and will also have the radiator flushed.....

$80 is very reasonable....are there different brands with variying quality?? dont mind paying more if better...

and is anyone able to recommend a reputable workshop who is experienced with this work?

Thanks for the replies...

ok genuine nissan.....hopefully they will have them in stock...

i am in southeast, i was told that blackburn nissan do a lot of work on skylines...anyone had any experience with them??

I know and dealt with AVO for many years....but do not know the others mentioned.

I guess i will have to go out to each to meet and make up my mind.

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by coco69

what sorta gains can be expected form adj. cam gears?

denham, yu were talking about yur cam gear giving yu earlier boost response in yur other thread i think, thats a possibility with adj. cam gears?

my cam gear is surrently at -2.5 degrees!

the cam gear plus the lightened flywheel plus the ebc is bringing 1 bar of boost by 2000rpm

personally i wouldn't take my car to get work done at any nissan dealership.

when you go in and ask for a timing belt for an rb25, and they say, are you sure its an rb25, not an rb26, then say, is that twin cam or single your after......

gets you wondering, what wacky tabacky they were smoking....

i reckon you might as well wack on a front mount intercooler aswelllll

thanks for the nissan dealership info guys....

i think i am better off taking the beast to one of the performance joints as they probably have done this kinda work many times and are very experienced with skylines....just have to decide which one....

i think changing the cam gears will be of more importance in the future when i get more mods done, but as the engine is relatively stock i wont gain much in terms of performance??? please correct me if i am wrong...

dabigwolf

I have been thinking about the intercooler for a while but my concern is that the standard ECU will not be able to cope with it.

Is this so? do u think the engine will retain its smoothness and drivability?

Ideally i want an aftermarket ECU like the autronic but for the time being its not high priority.

I hope someone with standard ECU and aftermarket intercooler will shine some light on this for me....

Thanks.