SAU Community

Radar Detectors

SkyDragon

Have had a search around both the forums and the web. Would you believe the dpi website returns "did not match any documents" when radar detectors are searched for!

Anyway, I am considering getting one and want to know what the legalities are these days? Are these things illegal in WA? Research gives either historical, no or conflicting answers?

Also, what brands/makes are best? Do they need to be upgraded every so often to keep up to date with the latest radar technology?

Cheers.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, you can have the radar detectors, you just can't have the scramblers that interfere with the multi nova's. PM Godthrilla on the forum. He'll be able to hook you up with one for sure. He also does a really good install.

Radar and Laser "detectors" are legal for use in the state of Western Australia. They are treated as a radio receiver and as such are not specifically targetted under the telecoms act. No state government has let tabled specific laws against them. I would think with the Nazi approach to road rules, hoons, etc it will happen at some point although it has come to the pollies attantion previously and thrown out.

Other states have have very specific laws banning them where even posession of one is an issue (let alone having it installed).

As stated, perfectly legal here in WA.

I run a Whistler Pro78, had it since just before Xmas and has saved me many times and more than paid for itself already. Haven't been done since I got it :P

Yeah legal,

I have a Beltronics xr70, Its complete crap. I've seen vids on youtube of perth people mounting them sideways to increase there detection range lol. went from detecting a multi-nova from 50 meters away to 250 meters.

Depending on placement of multinova, my detector can pick them up from around 300m. Obviously if it is just round a bend it won't pick it up 300m away.

Has also saved me from laser even though you have to be bloody quick with a laser as you have almost no time to react from when the laser hits you to when they get a reading.

My Beltronics XR STI has sfa range on it. I want to get a sideways mount and do a few tests in different positions at different angles.

I'm eyeing the beltronics RX65 on ebay australia. It's available quite cheaply from the US. I was just wondering if there would be any compatibility issues installing it on an australian vehicle.

Edited by quenda-xr

I'm eyeing the beltronics RX65 on ebay australia. It's available quite cheaply from the US. I was just wondering if there would be any compatibility issues installing it on an australian vehicle.

Just read somewhere that that model is more suited to the US - different frequencies or something. The whistler pro 78 looks good for the price though. It's had some good reviews.

I bought an RX65 from the USA off Ebay.

I got flashed couple weeks ago, and it didn't even a beep / alert for half a second before I got a nice big FLASH :S However I was overtaking a truck in the left and a car on the right so maybe that explains the late warning.

But then again, I was coming down Greenmount Hill last week with no traffic in front of me and it gave me another stupidly late warning, but luckily I wasn't speeding.

Maybe I might take it to Beltronics and get them to modify it to suit Oz multinovas etc.

Was told about putting the detector side ways as well recently, so just got to find a bracket for the unit now to suit that positioning.

I bought an RX65 from the USA off Ebay.

I got flashed couple weeks ago, and it didn't even a beep / alert for half a second before I got a nice big FLASH :S However I was overtaking a truck in the left and a car on the right so maybe that explains the late warning.

But then again, I was coming down Greenmount Hill last week with no traffic in front of me and it gave me another stupidly late warning, but luckily I wasn't speeding.

Maybe I might take it to Beltronics and get them to modify it to suit Oz multinovas etc.

Was told about putting the detector side ways as well recently, so just got to find a bracket for the unit now to suit that positioning.

Hey mate, I was just wondering if you had to pay any extra costs (i.e. VAT/taxes) when you bought it off ebay from the US?

Cheers.

NUP. Since its under $1000 you don't pay anything. From memory it cost $260ish delivered..and that was brand spanking NEW!!!

My mate bought one second hand for $400 here...

Edited by MattyP

I'd rather spend the ~$500 I did on the Pro78 again as it's picked up EVERYTHING I'm come across and has more than paid for itself the in the ~7months I've had it.

The first one I got had a little problem where the wires came off the speaker due to some dodgy glue. As the guy I got it from is the Aussie distributor (and he's in Morley), I walked in and told him my problem, he took it out the back, tested it, then handed me over a brand spanking new one. No fuss, no paperwork, took all of about 5mins. Now THAT is customer service and haven't had another problem since!

I just got a whistler pro 78 from the US. It comes with warranty - 3 years I think. Does anyone know whether I would be able get any warranty work done in Australia?

Also, most cars only have one cigarette lighter thing so what happens if you want to run two things i.e. radar detector and GPS at the same time?

Cheers.

I don't think you'll be able to get warranty in Australia as usually things have to be purchased in Australia from an authorised dealer/distributor in order for them to warranty any claim.

Also, my Pro78 came with a hardwire kit so you can wire it in and not use the cigarette lighter. Me personally, at the moment I use an adaptor so I can run my radar detector and my phone charger at the same time.

You should still be able to hard wire it, providing the cigarette lighter plug is not a transformer. If not, then you can just cut off the plug and hard wire it. Thats what I did with mine :P I've also got a Beltronics one, but I can't remember the model number :)