SAU Community

Radar Detectors

SkyDragon

seems like beltronics is a popular choice here. I have the valentine v1 with euro mode. multinova detection varies from anywhere between 500m and 250m but has saved me plenty. Best thing about it is that it picks up signals from all angles even the rear.

It's hit n miss with laser though, unless you get laser bouncing off another car, by the time they hit the trigger it already too late. Laser travels at the speed of light, so if the detector goes off and you dont get pulled over ,chances are it was a signal bouncing off another car which they had targetted.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

I'm on my 3rd XR70 and I'm yet to be impressed. Every camera (about 15 of them) I've been passed I would have to be 25m away looking down it's lense before it'll pick it up. Even when I can see them 200meters away...

I rang that number that was suppose to do whistler pro78 trade-ins... they do... for $150... f**k that... that would be like paying $800 for something that is worth $550.

I currently Have a Beltronics RX65 Pro series, it has about 50m-140m range on multi-novas and less on Laser + has ALOT of false alerts and am thinking of going to the Whistler Pro78 Anyone with the pro78 Reccomend it? Pros/cons etc

Cheers

Benson

Edited by Stealthed

I currently Have a Beltronics RX65 Pro series, it has about 50m-140m range on multi-novas and less on Laser + has ALOT of false alerts and am thinking of going to the Whistler Pro78 Anyone with the pro78 Reccomend it? Pros/cons etc

Cheers

Benson

I have a Pro78, love it. Has never missed anything and I get 200-300m notice depending on conditions (i.e. if it's just round a bend it won't be 300m :banana:).

I get automatic doors setting it off but I leave that band on as that is the same band that the in-car radars are on and it's pretty easy to tell the difference with the signal strength.

Update:

I'm on my 3rd XR70 and I'm yet to be impressed. Every camera (about 15 of them) I've been passed I would have to be 25m away looking down it's lense before it'll pick it up. Even when I can see them 200meters away...

I rang that number that was suppose to do whistler pro78 trade-ins... they do... for $150... f**k that... that would be like paying $800 for something that is worth $550.

DUKES

CALL NICK ON Tel: (+61) 08.9370.4038 .

TELL HIM ABOUT THIS POST AND HE WILL SWAP IT FREE - I just emailed him and he confirmed it!

Simon

I have a Pro78, love it. Has never missed anything and I get 200-300m notice depending on conditions (i.e. if it's just round a bend it won't be 300m :P ).

I get automatic doors setting it off but I leave that band on as that is the same band that the in-car radars are on and it's pretty easy to tell the difference with the signal strength.

Cheers Bubba thats all the convincing i need :D + I read its the best for WA on Radars.com.au

Heres link for Best Detector people it rates the 3 best for WA http://www.radars.com.au/best-radar-detector.php

Benson

Lol, mine was free. Reminds me, I have to take my old box back from the Beltronics unit still lol.

Apparently SilviaWA is doing a group buy on the Pro78, but I haven't actually looked.

• 5 weeks later...

Update:

I've taken a bit of advice and mounted my XR70 sideways. It works a lot better, I'm getting satisfactory range on multinovas now, a good 300 meters.

I'm using sticky tape and the original bracket at the moment until I can buy a vertical bracket.

Also just to contribute to the thread, You have to be careful with detectors in regards to security. My mum use to keep hers under her seat whiles the mounting bracket was stuck to the windshield. One night staying in perth her car got broken into and her detector was stolen as well as the face on her stereo.

Her insurance companies car and contents policy wouldn't cover the detector because they were a eastern states based company, and detectors are illegal over there so they refused to pay for it. She had to fork out for a new one.

My whistler pro 78 isn't too bad.. It picks up the highway patrol cars no problems.

I have had some trouble picking up multinova's though.

I took a drive down the road (where just about every thursday/friday night they hide a multinova near a tree) and it only picked up the camera from about 25m away which had me worried.. any ideas? could it be a setting I need to change?

Have you got it mounted properly and the right sensitivity?

Meanwhile, i have a beltronics vector 950 (or something like that) just wondering if anyone knows if this is 'obsolete' now and if it is worth upgrading? Still appears to pick up multanova, laser, emergency, etc. OK, but with multanova's it's normally pretty weak.

• 4 weeks later...
go and see the Whistler distributor in Morley, metion this thread, and they will swap it for a new PRO78 free of charge! And if you prefer the XR70, they will give it back to you again!! Their number is 9370-4038. Let me know if you do it, I'm keen to see if they will really do the trade in free!!

The quote from 2007 regarding K-band detection ranges comparing XR70 to Whistler PRO, there has since been a hardware upgarde and TWO full software updates to the new high performance Whistler detectors. I just clarrified this. So again, out dated references.

they do do the trade in but would you want a pro 78 rev c i stuck to my xr70 never let me down check them out on u tube

My whistler pro 78 isn't too bad.. It picks up the highway patrol cars no problems.

I have had some trouble picking up multinova's though.

I took a drive down the road (where just about every thursday/friday night they hide a multinova near a tree) and it only picked up the camera from about 25m away which had me worried.. any ideas? could it be a setting I need to change?

dont worry its whistlers fault

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=JFQ7hg268cE

Why is it Whistlers' fault?

My Pro78 works fkn awesomely and I don't have it mounted so stupidly high on the windscreen either.

I would really like some scientific evidence to substantiate these claims of the Pro78 sucking, and that doesn't mean more dodgy, poor quality youtube videos with estimated distances.

Picked up a 2nd hand 'Cobra' Radar detector for a $100 on the weekend, its a pretty cool unit.

1inch lcd colour screen, compass, strobe light detector ect

road testing it at the moment, seems to go pretty good.

but I can't use it side by side with the XR70, because it makes the XR70 false KA band alot.

one for the ute, one for the skyline

Why is it Whistlers' fault?

My Pro78 works fkn awesomely and I don't have it mounted so stupidly high on the windscreen either.

I would really like some scientific evidence to substantiate these claims of the Pro78 sucking, and that doesn't mean more dodgy, poor quality youtube videos with estimated distances.

this is evidence you cant get any better than a video unless you where there. it doesnt matter if you mount it high or low for radar but it does affect laser pick up. ive been reading through the forum and alot of people are seem to be trading there detecters with whistler i personally no nick who works at radars.com in morley he also wanted to swap my xr70 for whisler i told him its performing good and dont want to swap you can check them out on you tube i also have other vids check them out i also have a vid of horizontal vs vertical on the same camera 4 min apart from each other here is one of them dont

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=RfxgXQyijQA

dont you wish every encounter was like this. i think not i also estermated the distance but you be the judge

Not very scientific.. wow.. 600m on a straight road with minimal traffic.. and still no definitive measuring device.

My Pro78 performs flawlessly and has picked up everything I have come across with plenty of warning in the year I've had it, I can't see the justification for your rubbishing.

P.S. Grammar is your friend.