SAU Community

Radar Detectors

SkyDragon

hmm, Very tempting offer.

Scotty from Beltronics took my detector and tested it, he found the range to be excelent but its reaction time to be lacking alot, he replaced it and tested the replacement and put in the anti-sun mesh.

Since having it back I can pick up K-Band radar guns and strong emiters up to 4K's away even with traffic in my way.

It picks up SWS singals up to 4k's away.

KA-Band (speed cameras) length has increased, before i was getting about 10meters warning (yes, ten meters) now its about 50ish... I'm still trialing it though, (its funny how many cameras you don't pass when you want to test your detector)

Laser detection is as good as it gets I spose... I still get laser falsing from the sun but it's alot less than before, still makes me poo myself when I heard it go off though... lol.

50m? that is the most I ever saw from my XR70. Now I easily see 300m or more regularly with my Whistler PRO78 with the Euro/Multanova mode turned on. On occasion I am sure it has been more like 400m. I even saw about 200m from the othe direction recently. I don't see what you have to lose. You basically get to trial the PRO78 free of charge, if you aren't happy, you just swap back to your original XR70. Well thats my understanding of the offer anyway.

I have never once had a false laser alert! The sun should not set off a laser alert on any detector I have been told. 50m for the "best performing detector" is shite to say the least. How many seconds is that at 60km or 100km? Not many! Especially for the price. Test out the PRO78 and let us all know the difference. It sounds like you XR70 is doing the exact same thing that mine did!

K-band is typically a higher power output. You should be able to pickup a patrol car that is k-ban at least 8~10km away.

I am told they can provide laser sensitivity testing in Morley now too. Would be real interested to hear how you go from someone other than me!

Edited by Skytrail

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said, Tempting.

I'll definitly think about it,

Cheers for the info :)

50m? that is the most I ever saw from my XR70. Now I easily see 300m or more regularly with my Whistler PRO78 with the Euro/Multanova mode turned on. On occasion I am sure it has been more like 400m. I even saw about 200m from the othe direction recently. I don't see what you have to lose. You basically get to trial the PRO78 free of charge, if you aren't happy, you just swap back to your original XR70. Well thats my understanding of the offer anyway.

I have never once had a false laser alert! The sun should not set off a laser alert on any detector I have been told. 50m for the "best performing detector" is shite to say the least. How many seconds is that at 60km or 100km? Not many! Especially for the price. Test out the PRO78 and let us all know the difference. It sounds like you XR70 is doing the exact same thing that mine did!

K-band is typically a higher power output. You should be able to pickup a patrol car that is k-ban at least 8~10km away.

I am told they can provide laser sensitivity testing in Morley now too. Would be real interested to hear how you go from someone other than me!

Odds of getting the same offer with my Beltronics XR STI? As long as I can swap back if I'm not happy with the Whistler unit, I'm up for it.

Odds of getting the same offer with my Beltronics XR STI? As long as I can swap back if I'm not happy with the Whistler unit, I'm up for it.

hi s2k12,

look I'm not too sure, i don't want to call them again, but I can't see why not. its still a Beltronics and will still prove the same point. Want to call them youself and check - maybe let us know here? 08-9370-4038 ask for Nick. Or their web page is www.radars.com.au As I said, I did the upgrade and have never looked back. I passed a camera last night and got at least 150m on the other side of the road, I swung around and came back head on, must have been 250~300m but it was on kind of a bendy road. Let me know here what happens please?

hi s2k12,

look I'm not too sure, i don't want to call them again, but I can't see why not. its still a Beltronics and will still prove the same point. Want to call them youself and check - maybe let us know here? 08-9370-4038 ask for Nick. Or their web page is www.radars.com.au As I said, I did the upgrade and have never looked back. I passed a camera last night and got at least 150m on the other side of the road, I swung around and came back head on, must have been 250~300m but it was on kind of a bendy road. Let me know here what happens please?

Thanks dude. Yeah, I know the shop, been in there once before when I was looking for a vertical bracket (which I never ended up getting). Might go in tomorrow if I get time, Morley is just down the road.

I was also thinking about getting a laser jammer from them when money permits lol.

Edited by s2k12

Thanks dude. Yeah, I know the shop, been in there once before when I was looking for a vertical bracket (which I never ended up getting). Might go in tomorrow if I get time, Morley is just down the road.

I was also thinking about getting a laser jammer from them when money permits lol.

g'day. i have been thinking about a laser jammer for a while now too. but I haven't the budget until probably this time next month. they have a lot of pictures and videos on their web page. i did chat with them when I was in there about it, and their jammer can't be detected by police and also turns off after I think 5 seconds of laser gun jamming. apparently they sell them by the truck load and nobody has even been questioned by police, let alone caught using one. i seem to remember something about no actual laws exist about laser jammers in WA, so I don't see a big deal using one.

Jammers are illegal to use, but not to own (in WA atleast).

But I'm pretty sure there's no points with that fine, so as long as it's not stupidly excessive then it's worth the risk imo.

Edit: Also, yeah, there's a 4sec auto shut-off on his jammers, but I'd hit the skids and flick the switch asap anyway, so probably before it automatically shuts off.

Edit 2: Radar jammers have the same laws as laser jammers too I believe.

Edited by s2k12

Just made the switch then, I'll let ya know how it goes :)

hello s2k12. so they had no problem doing the same deal for your Beltronics STI? Is that the one you said had already been replaced and wasn't much better? Let us know how you find the Whistler PRO-78. So far, it seems someone has swapped a Beltronics XR70 (well two if you count me, I also used a V1 at one stage) and a Beltronics STI-XR. Nothing like a bit of real genuine user feedback, rather than from the actual distributor. How long did the swap over take by the way? Did it cost you anything extra?

I have a Bel STi-R (remote mount) on my bmw 135i and i usually get about 300m on multinovas. Have turned off k-band for city driving as the falsies annoy the crap out of me. It's great but pricey! As good if not better than V1 from what I've read. Comes with "Euro" mode which allows a narrow Ka band sweep so it's not sweeping the whole of Ka band for multis, which only operate on certain frequencies.

I have a Bel STi-R (remote mount) on my bmw 135i and i usually get about 300m on multinovas. Have turned off k-band for city driving as the falsies annoy the crap out of me. It's great but pricey! As good if not better than V1 from what I've read. Comes with "Euro" mode which allows a narrow Ka band sweep so it's not sweeping the whole of Ka band for multis, which only operate on certain frequencies.

wow, thats great!! nice one.

Yeah, the STi-R has euro mode unlike my old STi XR.

hello s2k12. so they had no problem doing the same deal for your Beltronics STI? Is that the one you said had already been replaced and wasn't much better? Let us know how you find the Whistler PRO-78. So far, it seems someone has swapped a Beltronics XR70 (well two if you count me, I also used a V1 at one stage) and a Beltronics STI-XR. Nothing like a bit of real genuine user feedback, rather than from the actual distributor. How long did the swap over take by the way? Did it cost you anything extra?

Didn't cost any extra, swap didn't take long at all. And yeah, I had it swapped once before because my previous unit died completely.

Yet to find a camera, but I'll go to a few places on the list tomorrow and try find something to test it with haha.

bit of an obscure question, but does anyone know of a good radar detector which doesn't have the sensors directly mounted on the circuit board?

My mate and I planned to pull his apart (i forget which he has) and mount the sensors in his front bumper, while mounting the circuit board, speaker and display in his center console. However, when we pulled it out we discovered the sensors couldn't be separated from the board and didn't think it'd be a good idea to mount the circuitry outside the car.

Alternatively are there "radar detector kits" for this same purpose?

Mounting it as above would be much nicer than sticking a black box onto the windscreen and is also a lot more subtle.

• 3 weeks later...
Radar and Laser "detectors" are legal for use in the state of Western Australia. They are treated as a radio receiver and as such are not specifically targetted under the telecoms act. No state government has let tabled specific laws against them. I would think with the Nazi approach to road rules, hoons, etc it will happen at some point although it has come to the pollies attantion previously and thrown out.

Other states have have very specific laws banning them where even posession of one is an issue (let alone having it installed).

Does this mean that an owner of a WA registered car, if taken across to Eastern states, has to remove the detector?

Intrigued.

Pretty much. In one of the other states, I don't remember which one lol, you can get a $1,500 fine and 7 demerit points just for being caught with one, even if it's packed up and not in use.

Edited by s2k12