SAU Community

Got Defected Sat Night

NYL83R

I've been doing some searching and haven't found any answers. If this has been covered many times before please direct me there and delete this post.

I was done for the Exhaust, Atmo BOV, and FMIC.

I've changed the BOV back to standard, Got and original SMIC to install, not just need to do the exhaust.

To get under the required 90db what would i need to do? (3" Mandrel bent, cannon) can i just stick a baffle plate between the flange? anyone know where i can get one?

Also, if i want to put the FMIC back on and get it engineered, i realise i need a IM240 emmissions test, but will it pass? No other mods. The only place i can go to get it tested is Penrith (earliest booking 5 weeks away) so i need to know of any problems before i drive all the way there. I was told that i would need to install a brand new CAT to pass?

In the end is it really worth it? does the FMIC really give me any power advantage?

thanks in advance,

Chris.

fmic is illegal for emission's also, because its a modified part of your engine intake tract, therefore it has modified you emission level of the vechil past std because it is now physicaly bigger/longer/thicker then std....

the im240 test is not easy to past for a modified nissan :P put as much back to std as possible

i have an apexi afc neo to put on as well. i am thinking it will help the emmissions test? but i have been told it is a fine line between too lean and too rich to pass.

what mods did you have on you car dave? and how long ago was the test?

i got 4 phone calls on saturday night not to go anywhere near brighton/city as they were defecting and pulling people over to the pits.

my advice is to pm Guilt-Toy as he knows all there is to know for emissions tuning/passing. he has a thread up HERE.

if you're not keen on forking out the $ for a tune and what not then as everyones already said, get it back to stock, get a new o2 sensor to make sure you aren't running overly rich, check timing and see where that gets you.

everything is back to stock bar the 3" exhaust and hiflow cat. test was done in april i think it was. i was lucky only had to wait a week when i booked it in. the lady squeezed me in. it would have been a 2 month wait otherwise

Bummer - it is such a hassle isn't it Chris!! :)

When I got done it was only for exhaust noise, not emissions thankfully. So i just whacked a standard exhaust back on and it was 88dB.

Where abouts did they pull you over?

Hey Chris

Bad news about the defect.

Here are some answers;

You could stick a baffle plate between the flange, just make it out of 2mm sheet yourself. Otherwise you could get a baffle that bolts into the back of the cannon should, that should get it under 90DB, then go to fj mufflers at cardiff or any good exhuast shop and get a test done.

Passing the IM240 isnt easy and leaner can make it worse. Best off with the stock ecu air filter and a stock cat(used is fine) if you can get it modded to fit on your exhaust and then go for the test and see how you go, failing that you might need a full stock exhaust and/or injectors cleaned.

Rta also have a testing centre at botany, they do test there on wednesdays, you might get in there earlier.

Let us know how you go mate

Josh

I don't really need an emmissions test. its only if i want to keep the FMIC on. if i put it back to stock there are no problems. With the exhaust i was just going to buy a cheap muffler and have that fitted for the noise test. I need to take the car to carrington RTA to be inspected as well, so if i had a baffle plate i think they would see it. not sure.

Botany RTA was booked out till October! you would think they would make a testing station in newcastle with all the defects they are giving now days!

So looks like i'll be pulling the bumper off and fitting the stock SMIC untill its passed then in september fit the FMIC and take the car to Penrith and try to get it passed so i can get the damn thing engineered.

don't suppose anyone has a stock muffler they can lend me for a couple of weeks? p.s. i'm booked in on friday at the exhaust place :banana:

Why bother putting the SMIC on then ?

If your already defected and you cannot get a booking to the RTA for emissions test for a few months then ring them and tell them that you have to wait for the test to pass. They will extend your defect notice so your cars rego wont get cancelled.

Leave the FMIC on and go and get your noise test. Buy a piece of 2mm steel plate, get a cat gasket from your local exaust shop.

Remember tracing things at school? get a artliner. Trace the WHOLE gasket, the bolt holes the outside the inside hole the lot.

Now get some tin snips and cut the outside and drill the holes for the bolts, get a drill and drill multiple 10mm holes in the hole in the middle so it restricts your flow.

Make _TWO_ of these and stick one at the front and one at the back of the cat. Go get your noise test then remove it. YES this works.

For the emissions test, if you want to pass we can test your car on a 5gas system in Newcastle on a dyno and i can do dummy IM240 tests on the dyno to see if it is going to pass (Yes we have IM240 testing in Newcastle now) but its only for a guide and for tuning purposes only.

So yeah if you need any assistance let me know and I can look at getting your car passed for a engineers certificate.

Send me a PM and il shoot you my number

cheers

awesome thanks!

problem with the defect is i only have till monday till i cannot drive the car anymore. i rang up the rta and tried to get an extension, but the guy i spoke to just said "tuff luck, you should have had it done when it was fitted"

really don't want to fit the SMIC as it is a pain but not sure what my options are...maybe go see the guys at carrington RTA and ask them there for an extension?

pm sent :P

I would ring them again and ask again, if that dont work try carrington.

They cant take your car off the road if they cannot test the car in time. Ask to talk to a manager and slam them.

hey guilt-toy, seeing as your car is engineered and passed all emissions tests, how much has it all set you back roughly? like e.g. we get defected and need an emissions test and an engineers certificate for the front mount and a certificate for the exhaust and sealed pod. An engineers certificate would cost roughly how much?, how about emissions testing? (do you need to pay for this?) + the power fc tune for $150. Once its all done you can still get defected if the officer believes you have modified it further....sure we'll pass the pits first go but do you still pay the fine? Last question : instead of a pod filter, an arc induction box -> being a mod can we get done for this? even though its a panel filter which is slightly larger in size than our stock filters.....

sorry to hijack but i think this will give alot of people a clearer idea on costs etc

Emissions testing is free. The stock air box must be used or you can enclose your pod filter (depends how picky the engineer is) ARC box should be okay, but again consult your engineer!

A engineers certificate can cos anywhere from $350 - $1000

Emissions tuning costs much more then $150, anywhere from $500 to $2000, depends where you get it done.

You pay all fines no matter what, unless you write into the cops and they let you off but i doubt that will happen.

Did you get defected too?

hey guilt-toy, seeing as your car is engineered and passed all emissions tests, how much has it all set you back roughly? like e.g. we get defected and need an emissions test and an engineers certificate for the front mount and a certificate for the exhaust and sealed pod. An engineers certificate would cost roughly how much?, how about emissions testing? (do you need to pay for this?) + the power fc tune for $150. Once its all done you can still get defected if the officer believes you have modified it further....sure we'll pass the pits first go but do you still pay the fine? Last question : instead of a pod filter, an arc induction box -> being a mod can we get done for this? even though its a panel filter which is slightly larger in size than our stock filters.....

sorry to hijack but i think this will give alot of people a clearer idea on costs etc