SAU Community

Fuel Consumption Gettin' Wyld

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can give us a hand with my 33 series 2 goin' through petrol like crazy. Only getting bout 280 to the tank without driving it that hard at all.

It's running 12 psi, Front mount, Exhaust nothing too flash. Just seems a bit to rich compared to what i've heard from other guys with the same basic setup.

I've heard that changing to o2 sensor will help the situation - is this the case?

If anyone can give us a hand in trying to get my car running leaner or knows anywhere around sydney that can sort it out for me, it'd be greatly appreciated.

The O2 Sensor's job is to make sure the car is not running to lean, too rich. If its faulty then the car might be using more fuel then it should.

If it needs replacing, change it and should help out your fuel consumption.

Also put in a can of injector cleaner and check out your spark plugs and tyre pressure.

The O2 Sensor's job is to make sure the car is not running to lean, too rich. If its faulty then the car might be using more fuel then it should.

If it needs replacing, change it and should help out your fuel consumption.

Also put in a can of injector cleaner and check out your spark plugs and tyre pressure.

cheers mate, appreciate the feedback. any hints on where to get the o2 sensor from? no doubt it'd be better to get a brand new one rather than second hand

I think the O2 sensor can cost upto $100 (approx), my mechanic changed both of mine and a few other things so I spent abour $300+. I gota check my invoices.

I would just get a new one and your mechanic should be able to sort it all out for you.

Cool!

I think the O2 sensor can cost upto $100 (approx), my mechanic changed both of mine and a few other things so I spent abour $300+. I gota check my invoices.

I would just get a new one and your mechanic should be able to sort it all out for you.

Cool!

yeah all sweet.... sounds good to me, the other thing is, we all know when it comes to cars it could be an abundance of things that can cause the same problem in a motor. what are some other things to keep in mind if the o2 sensor is fine? any other hints in what can make it run leaner.

Yeah o2 sensor is usually the main culprit. Do you have access to Nissan Consult or Datascan? You can test the o2 sensor using the computer software or you can do it using a voltmeter on the pins.

Test it when the the car is at operating temp, usually after a 15-20min drive. While the car is stationary (no load) rev the engine to approx 2000rpm and you want to see the voltage cycling once a second. Usually if they haven't been replaced they'll be quite slow to react or may even be dead.

Other things to check are:

-coolant temp sender

-detonation sensor circuit error code

O2 sensor is for closed loop function (highway driving) it doesnt opperate if your on and of the accelerator, so wont help or effect city driving. try new plugs, clean your afm, then think of other things

sweet guys thanks for the help... didn't know about the o2 sensor being only for highway driving... i mainly do city driving do this tells me that the o2 sensor may not be the problem. Am i right in assuming this? You guys reckon just give it a sweet service and change plugs and clean air flow meter and this should improve it somewhat?

As what sandeep said, the O2 sensor is usuall the problem.

Besides changing that, as momo said, try cleaning your AFM (Air Flow Metres).

So in order to isolate the problem,

Check the O2 Sensor (Fix if faulty)

Use a can of fuel injector cleaner

Clean you AFM

Change your Fuel Filter

Check Tyre Pressure

Only other thing I can think that is making your car use more pertol is your ECU. It might be an aftermarket one or one that can be modified... BUT I don't think so in your case as I believe your car is stock with only an exhaust system and a Front mount intercooler.

BTW you are running 12 Psi of boost... Is that the stock boost pressure for a R33 GTS4?

i also hear off some other guys that leaks coming from BOV can cause the car to run leaner is this the case?

Probley in some cases.

For example if your intercooler has a leak then it may cause the car to run lean as there is more air going in to the inlet plenum.

sweet guys thanks for the help... didn't know about the o2 sensor being only for highway driving... i mainly do city driving do this tells me that the o2 sensor may not be the problem. Am i right in assuming this? You guys reckon just give it a sweet service and change plugs and clean air flow meter and this should improve it somewhat?

Its a quick and easy start to eliminate possible causes, if problems persist, see your doctor

sorry using my mates logins as mine weren't allow me to post with it. I have a series 2 gtst running 12 pound, with front mount, and exhaust, pod etc nothing fancy. It's put out 206 rwkw on a dyno - not a gts4 - sorry bout the mix up. i'll try these things and see how i go. that point you made about an aftermarket ecu being there makes sense also. how can i check this out to see if it is an aftermarket ecu? if it is, should i change it back to a stock one to allow the car to run at factory setting or would the factory ecu setting not comply with the aftermarket enahncements that have been done? p.s i've only owned the car for 4 days and haven't owned a turbo before hence my lack of knowledge

sorry using my mates logins as mine weren't allow me to post with it. I have a series 2 gtst running 12 pound, with front mount, and exhaust, pod etc nothing fancy. It's put out 206 rwkw on a dyno - not a gts4 - sorry bout the mix up. i'll try these things and see how i go. that point you made about an aftermarket ecu being there makes sense also. how can i check this out to see if it is an aftermarket ecu? if it is, should i change it back to a stock one to allow the car to run at factory setting or would the factory ecu setting not comply with the aftermarket enahncements that have been done? p.s i've only owned the car for 4 days and haven't owned a turbo before hence my lack of knowledge

On the front passenger left side, there is a kick pannel. (Below the glove box, to the left), where you red flare sits, unscrew that pannel and the ECU is behind it.

Take a look to see if it is standard or aftermarket.

I don't thing 12 psi standard for a GTS-T..?

R33 GTS-T's came out with about 184 kW. If you are putting out 206 rear wheel kW's, I suspect there is a boost controller you are running. Which means, higher boost = need more fuel to run... And / Or modded / tuned ECU... (Speculations Only)

yea its been boosted up but a few of my mates get 400kms or close to it with exactly the same mods consistantly

Interesting... What type of fuel you put in (should not make a diffence tho...) Is your fuel gauge playing up..?

Car had a service yet?

Best bet is to get your mechanic to check it all out.

Get your mechanic run through what we all have told you about in the this thread and see how you go.

So get them to check the O2 Sensor, (Fix if faulty)

Use a can of fuel injector cleaner

Clean you AFM

Change your Fuel Filter

Check Tyre Pressure

Check out your ECU

Check out for an leaks in the lines, BOV and intercooler

Check you fuel injectors (make sure no leaks)

And get him to do what sandeep said.

Thats all I can think of at the moment so take it to him and let us know how you go.

Cool!

yes o2 is for closed loop part of the tune but it's not correct to say that it is only used on highway driving. it depends on how much load you are putting on the engine as to whether you are running in open loop or closed loop, so it will still make a difference in city driving depending on how you drive.

Seems everyone has problems like this! me included :P

If your after a O2 sensor have alook in the traders sections KUDOS MOTORSPORT do a deal for SAU members i think i paid $77 for my ntk o2 sensor? great service and quick delivery as well :(

Unfortunatly it made no difference for me lol

I have just removed my BOV and replaced with a stock one....ive only driven it for about 50km but straight away noticed the car running nicer, gear changes are alot smoother with practically no backfire. It cleared up the spluttering and poping under engine breaking and so far seems to have made a huge difference, Ill have to let you know how i go on my first full tank.

I never knew stock gtst r33 put out 184...ive got similar mods, FMIC, POD, EXHAUST, HI-FLOW TURBO, Jaycar boost control. Havent had it on dyno myself but the printout that came with the car when i bought it only read 179rwkw :P