SAU Community

Welding Question

Damo_c

Im getting my bro in law to do some welding for me. He doesnt know it yet but i need brass welded to mild steel. Is it possiable via mig or tig?

dont know about TIG(probly could) but def cant MIG brass to steel usually braze it with an OXY/ACETYLENE and coated bronze rods.

Im getting my bro in law to do some welding for me. He doesnt know it yet but i need brass welded to mild steel. Is it possiable via mig or tig?

No dude, you'll have to braze or solder it. Damn, my welding books are all out on loan or I'd be able to give you some info

:)

No dude, you'll have to braze or solder it. Damn, my welding books are all out on loan or I'd be able to give you some info

I was guna solder it originally seeing as its such a small job but didnt know if it would bond to together, so thats why i thought about welding it instead. So i could solder it instead could i?

as the other guys have said brazing is the best. you can tig weld brass but i dont think you will have great success tiging it to mild steel. what are you trying to joint together, i mean what are the parts, is it like a vacuum line nipple to intercooler piping or something?

:)

as the other guys have said brazing is the best. you can tig weld brass but i dont think you will have great success tiging it to mild steel. what are you trying to joint together, i mean what are the parts, is it like a vacuum line nipple to intercooler piping or something?

Exactly that

why dont you go and get youself a threaded female nipple in mild steel and weld that to the pipe, then get you brass vacuum line fitting (if it has a male threaded end on it) and screw it into that? or just get a steel vacuum fitting.

why dont you go and get youself a threaded female nipple in mild steel and weld that to the pipe, then get you brass vacuum line fitting (if it has a male threaded end on it) and screw it into that? or just get a steel vacuum fitting.

cha-ching!

very good advice

Brazing always looks not so great , but would work.

even if you cant find a mild steel thread in NPT like your fitting you should be able to find stainless which will TIG to mild

http://www.mscn.com.au has these weld ons