SAU Community

6mt Vs 5auto

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forums I currently have a S2 R33, I have just recently fallen in love with the V35 350GT coupe. I work with Pulp and he assures me I wont look back if I make the change to the new model Skyline.

I am now looking at importing one but I am unsure as to which way to go manual or auto?. My current skyline is manual and generally I do lean in this direction but are their any reasonable benefits to consider the 5spd auto?

Cheers in advance folks :/

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forums I currently have a S2 R33, I have just recently fallen in love with the V35 350GT coupe. I work with Pulp and he assures me I wont look back if I make the change to the new model Skyline.

I am now looking at importing one but I am unsure as to which way to go manual or auto?. My current skyline is manual and generally I do lean in this direction but are their any reasonable benefits to consider the 5spd auto?

Cheers in advance folks :/

really depend on how u drive it really. If its ur daily drive, and commute in heavy traffic, i think you would go for the auto. of course manual is a lot more fun plus it has about 10~20hp over auto, so its a little quicker. and of course u get the brembos with manual.

really depend on how u drive it really. If its ur daily drive, and commute in heavy traffic, i think you would go for the auto. of course manual is a lot more fun plus it has about 10~20hp over auto, so its a little quicker. and of course u get the brembos with manual.

Well if thats the case, its hands down 6MT , cheers for your input :/

You DON'T automatically get brembos with manual. There are manual out there that doesn't come with brembos. Brembo is a factory option that ceases on 2005+ model, so you'll need to stick with '03 - '04 manual coupes to find one with brembos. Also a lot of the manual with brembo also came in the lower grade 'track' model with no leather (only plain cloth seat) and no bose/navigation screen. So again, finding one with all the combination that you want can be quite fun.

Again if you only drive it in traffic, brembo or no brembo doesn't make any difference really, and auto is probably a lot easier and practical. It has a tiptronic mode (semi auto) so again you can get some control over it. I came out of a 230rwkw (+/- 270kw @ flywheel) R33 Gtst manual into a stock standard V35 auto, and I still find the factory 5sp tiptronic quite a lot of fun either in 'drive' mode or in manual tiptronic mode, and still have a lot of acceleration power for an automatic car.

I've owned both, and can 100% say that for me manual was a much better drive. Hands down, no questions asked.

The auto is great, but the manual is just a completely different car.

I was looking for a manual and settled for an auto because a) they were cheaper, and b) couldn't find a manual in the condition i wanted.

A week after owning the auto i regretted it, so sold it a few months later and bought a manual.

At the end of the day, there are heaps of both examples in dealerships in the country. Test drive both, see what suits you, but again in my experience, the manual is a much much better experience.

I've owned both, and can 100% say that for me manual was a much better drive. Hands down, no questions asked.

The auto is great, but the manual is just a completely different car.

I was looking for a manual and settled for an auto because a) they were cheaper, and b) couldn't find a manual in the condition i wanted.

A week after owning the auto i regretted it, so sold it a few months later and bought a manual.

At the end of the day, there are heaps of both examples in dealerships in the country. Test drive both, see what suits you, but again in my experience, the manual is a much much better experience.

Thanks for the additional info guys, I guess it will just be a case of wait and see what comes up in auction, I would like to stick to manual but more from a car control / engine breaking reason. I don't think the auto would please me long term..... Ill keep you guys updated on what I find, fingers crossed its going to be decent.

Also a lot of the manual with brembo also came in the lower grade 'track' model with no leather (only plain cloth seat) and no bose/navigation screen.

just wondering wat makes the track version lower grade? yes, better sound system, but the stock ones r clarion, which i think is half decent for a stock system. plus even the premium leather pack it's only leather trim, not full leather. due to the quality of the leather (nissan or any japanese car isn't known for using good leather), driver side thigh trim wrinkles n cracks overtime...

not really. cos I don't have a word to describe the other grade other than premium. should have said just 'track' without the word 'lower' if that is probably better to describe it.

but it depends on each person, race enthusiast will say the premium version is the 'lower' grade as they are heavier and slower around the track.

i'm talking from the point of view of someone nearing mid life crisis who wants a more luxury feel in an affordable car, thus the track version is my 'lower' grade regardless whether the track version have brembo or 300kw more than my premium model....

not really. cos I don't have a word to describe the other grade other than premium. should have said just 'track' without the word 'lower' if that is probably better to describe it.

but it depends on each person, race enthusiast will say the premium version is the 'lower' grade as they are heavier and slower around the track.

i'm talking from the point of view of someone nearing mid life crisis who wants a more luxury feel in an affordable car, thus the track version is my 'lower' grade regardless whether the track version have brembo or 300kw more than my premium model....

So the premium version is slower ? what is the weight difference ?

no idea, I have a japanese JDM sales brochure from japan and they didn't really put the weight difference. but you could say probably 20-30kg more considering all those leather, extra Bose amp, speaker and/or subwoofer, and navigation tv / dvd rom drive they put in... not to mention that from Japan they may either come in standard 17" or 18" optional rims which will be heavier, and not to mention 19" optional rims on 2005/2006+ model - so it's very hard to guess how each model actually weighs.

the standard or in general, V35 range is around 1540-1580kg already with 3.5ltr engine in coupe & sedan form. these are not light cars... more of luxury cruisers.

So the premium version is slower ? what is the weight difference ?

Don't worry about it, just loose a few Kilos and you should be right! :D jjks!

Unless you are going to be racing this thing all the time (at the track) then I wouldn't be fussed about it, and you'd be missing out on the nice seats etc, have a peek at my ride next time and see what you think :)

Edited by Pulp

Don't worry about it, just loose a few Kilos and you should be right! :rofl: jjks!

Unless you are going to be racing this thing all the time (at the track) then I wouldn't be fussed about it, and you'd be missing out on the nice seats etc, have a peek at my ride next time and see what you think :domokun:

agree 100%, and remember things like the 19" wheels are forged made by Rays, and I think lighter than the 17" wheels.

If you are racing all the time, then worry more about what your going to take out of the car to make it lighter, not what extras come/don't come with the different variants.

I have just bought a 6mt track version. It's awesome. It's not a fast car like my Silvia but enough power to turn heads. Track or not, you still get the same suspension setup. Track version comes with 18" and LSD. The brembo is great too, who care you go to track or not. It's brake damn good and look good too. If you like the Bose thing, ya it play good sound, but the TV thing don't work. It'll take about 2-3k to make it work. Track version comes with a 2 din, so if you want to get a DVD/TV/CD player, it's easy to install it. BTW, the track version comes with full NISMO body Kit.

Sound like a smart man. I recently upgraded from a R33 to a V35. Both brilliant cars. Wouild agree- it would be hard to look back though- the 35 is a bit more of everything than the R33.

I would recommend you drive both-there is not much in it. Although the manual will always be better for decelarating.

I have the 6 speed & its an absolute gem.

Hi Guys,

Cheers in advance folks :P

• 3 months later...
Sound like a smart man. I recently upgraded from a R33 to a V35. Both brilliant cars. Wouild agree- it would be hard to look back though- the 35 is a bit more of everything than the R33.

I would recommend you drive both-there is not much in it. Although the manual will always be better for decelarating.

I have the 6 speed & its an absolute gem.

seems quite common for folk to go from R33 GTSt to V35...I'm anothery!

I'm stickin with Sklines...hahaha...who knows, may end up with the GTR!......in 10-12 years!!

(ps..I know the new GTR is not a Skyline per say!!)

I had an auto 300zx and changed it to 5sp and the difference was awesome! When I started looking at V35s I drove heaps of autos as I do lots of city driving but when I drove a 6spd I couldn't consider going auto again. 6sp forever!!!

(ps..I know the new GTR is not a Skyline per say!!)