SAU Community

Which Computer should I buy ? Apexi PFC Or Microtech LT12 or SAFC2 ?

The one i got runs external coils, you already have the coil packs therefore either for you would be fine. All comes down to the programmer. No figures as of yet have to find a yoke before can drive the car. Got ripped on a front cut for the engine conversion and some bits are a little hard to find.

Try to find out more from the guys doing the computer for you.

Well the $$$ in the bank.

Apexi Power FC is just a DD to Nungen away...

However I DONT KNOW WHAT TO GET!!!

I want 250rwkw.

Can i achieve this with standard AFM & injectors with power FC ?

Help me out!!

Remember.

The PowerFC uses the knock sensor, the Microtech does not. = Possible engine damage

The PowerFC uses closed loop cruise mode, the Microtech does not. = bad crusing fuel economy

The PowerFC uses the AFM, the Microtech does not. = bad fuel economy & little quirks with idle etc.

The Microtech is an excellent ecu, just the PowerFC is better.

If you want 250rwkw get the PowerFc, Adj Fuel pressure Reg & Z32 AFM. The engine is then at its stock limits. If you get a slight bad batch of fuel and it is detonating you will see the check engine light flash. With the Microtech you will not.

The PowerFC also keeps a knock ratings that indicates if the knock of your motor is within acceptable limits.

I would feel comfortable with a RB25DET making 250rwkw on a Microtech IF it had forged pistons. However if it hasn't then all you need to do is give it a boot full in fourth gear at high revs not knowing that it is knocking and you will most likely crack a piston.

At least with the PowerFC you get some indication to be carefull.

Its not that much extra anyway. Maybe the extra cost of a Z32 AFM which is around $390 & tuning is around $400 from some one who knows what they are doing. If they don't know what they are doing they will charge you more as they will have to spend more time on it. + with the Microtech you will need to get a new Intake pipe fabricated unless you are going to leave the AFM sitting there just not connected.

Just hang off for another couple of weeks and get the PowerFC.

guilt toy - why get caught up in chasing a number? Make it go as hard as it can with stock injectors etc sure. Take this to the extreme, and say goodbye to your motor. R13 ran 11.4 with a stock fuel system RB25 + big turbo, then R13 got a new motor. It could not supply enough fuel over 5000rpm i think it was.

Chase the best possible reliable result you can get with the hardware you have.

I got the LTX12, apparently, which, will also run a laptop, with hand cotroller and reprogrammed to run the coil module for $1400. Should be running by end of week maybe next. All depends on what else is missing from the front cut that we may also need.

A mate has been running his Microtech on an FJ20 for sometime now and has had no major dramas and he is pushing 500+ nags at the b/w in 1600 at 27+pounds. He says for affordability and performance it is a good buy, but there is always better just depends on what you wish to spend.

Give you more info on my piece of #%*$ as it comes to hand, and anyone that can help me on a yoke don't be shy.

Hi guys, the old AFM comparison, here is one I prepared earlier....

The R33/R32 GTST and the Z32 AFM's are all 80 mm in diameter so there is no more air flow. They will all flow around 50 lbs per minute of air without much restriction.

The difference between them is the R32/R33 GTST AFM will show 5.1 volts at around 40 lbs of air per minute. The Z32 AFM on the other hand will only show 3.5 volts at around 40 lbs of air per minute.

This means that the Z32 AFM can tell the ECU what air is flowing above 40 lbs per minute (up to around 50). The GTST AFM can't tell the ECU whether there is 42 or 47, because it shows 5.1 volts at any flow over 40.

This makes the Z32 AFM better for tuning cars that use more than 40 but less than 50. If this makes sense then read on, if it doesn't go back and re-read it until it does.

The next step up is a Q45 AFM, they are 90 mm in diameter (10 mm bigger). So they have two benefits, they don't show much airflow restriction at 60 lbs per minute plus the have even higher voltage resolution than the Z32 AFM. In fact they show 3.0 volts at around 40 lbs of air per minute.

Some relevancy, a single Q45 AFM will flow and meter airflow the same as 2 X GTR AFM's (they are 65mm) and 2 X Q45 AFM's are easily capable of flowing and meteriing 1,000 bhp. You want proof, well the famous Apexi drag car (VMax) used 2 X Q45 AFM's and an Apexi PFC to run 8.5 for the 1/4 at 150 mph.

In summary, if someone tells you AFM's are a limit to how much power you can make, tell them it's simply not true. If someone tells you that a MAP based ECU will make more power than a AFM based ECU, tell them it's simply not true.

Hope that was of some hlep