SAU Community

Scraping Sound When Turning Steering Wheel

LatinR33

Hey guys,

Last night I took the car out the garage and while I was reversing the car (cold) and turning the steering wheel I heard this metal scraping kind of sound. When I staightened the car up and drove forward and turned the steering wheel did the same thing.

Here is the strange part once the car was warmed up it stopped doing it. When I got to my destination and starting driving in the carpark and making slow turns nothing???

Very strange anyone experience the same thing??

Thanks

try doing full lock turns in either direction, one of your splash guards may have come loose. happend to me and at first i had no idea. if that isnt it then its prolly something more major, speshly if it has to do with the temp.

:P

at i guess id say something to do with your power steering pump, if its to do with turning when cold. but i could be wrong. best thing is to start troubleshooting the simple things before you get too worried.

Hey guys,

Last night I took the car out the garage and while I was reversing the car (cold) and turning the steering wheel I heard this metal scraping kind of sound. When I staightened the car up and drove forward and turned the steering wheel did the same thing.

Here is the strange part once the car was warmed up it stopped doing it. When I got to my destination and starting driving in the carpark and making slow turns nothing???

Very strange anyone experience the same thing??

Thanks

That happened to me last night too.... But eventually went away once everything warmed up and didn't return for the rest of the night or this morning. (But my car was not used for just over a week), i'm "guessing" all the fluids must have just drained and rotors got surface rust....