SAU Community

Std R33 Gts-t Fuel Pump Rwkw Capability

Roy13

Today I had a Bosch 040 supplied + fitted for $340.

Previously with the std pump 7psi (190rwkw) drove absolutely perfectly but 12psi (203rwkw whilst leaning out) was coughing and spluttering.

Now 12psi is as good as 7psi after the new 040 pump has been fitted.

Very happy because the 040 will leave me with plenty of headroom for future mods.

Theirs no way i'll be turning it up to 15psi, 12psi is enough for me right now (I need to burn that in as it is).

Having a standard ECU means lot of things can go wrong. :P

Originally posted by benm

Theirs no way i'll be turning it up to 15psi, 12psi is enough for me right now (I need to burn that in as it is).

Having a standard ECU means lot of things can go wrong. :D

Such as? The stock ecu throws more fuel in and less advanced timing, if anything its going to protect the engine. Granted it has a boost/fuel cut which spoils fun, but it certainly isnt going to harm the engine in any way.

would the standard pump running into a surge tank with larger fuel pump be enough? or would you need 2 pumps of same flow rate for this to work best??

anyone put a surge tank in the boot of a skyline, or are the fuel tanks baffled enough not to worry about starvation on the track??

yeah neither have i, well not that i've noticed anyway, just looking for an easier way than replcing the one intank, plus the looks etc of an anodised surge tank in the boot :P

do you know if it would work or would the high pressure pump empty it too quick to be feasable?

Craved I got my Bosch 040 (520hp) intank fuel pump supplied + fitted for $340.

To get an external pump/surge tank etc supplied + fitted by UAS was going to cost basically $1,000.

Unless you drive around with your boot open I reckon the ~$600 could be spent elsewhere, like some slotted front rotors.

damn, a grand!!!

they sell the surge tanks for about $250, plus the fuel pump, the rest can be done yourself!!!

but overall just looking at whether its going to work the way i was thinking, main reason is that i have to do this setup in a sprinter as well, since the engine conversion it has major surge issues running from the VL turbo pump!! The old AE86 dont have fuel tank baffles, causing major issue at the track when less than half a tank!!

Hi guys, by plumbing it into a surge tank you take the load (resistance) off the standard GTST pump. As an example we have a GTR that uses a GTST pump in the tank pumping into a 1.5 litre surge tank with 2 X GTR pumps feeding the engine. The surge tank is never empty, the single GTST pump easily keeps up with the requirements of the 2 X GTR pumps supplying the 6 X 1,000 cc injectors.

Hope that helps

that was exactly the answer i was looking for sydneykid!!!

thanks heaps for that!!!

just one more little question: do you just Y piece the return line and the surgetank overflow before the fuel tank, or do you need a separate lines to the tank from the surgetank and return line ??

Cheers

Hi Craved, I do it a little differently than some I have seen. I return the unused fuel from the engine into the fuel tank, not into the surge tank. I have found it comes back from the engine warmer than when it went there. The compression effect of the fuel pumps, the heat transferred from the fuel pumps and the heat in the engine bay all get together to make it hotter. So if you keep going around and back into the surge tank you end up with really hot fuel which is not a good thing.

So I use a Y piece at the fuel tank for the surge tank over flow and return from the fuel rail.

Hope that helps