SAU Community

Buying An R33 Gtr

LIVE FAST

Hi,

I've always wanted to have a skyline, and after driving a 99 wrx around for my first 18 months I'm looking to buy an R33 GTR.

I have been looking at a vspec r33 gtr from vic auto mart in Fawkner but not too sure if its an actual vspec model or if its just a gtr.

Can anybody give me some advice on what to look for when buying a gtr and how to pick out whether it is what they say it is. Ill add a link to the car i have been looking at.

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/deale...amp;Make=NISSAN

Any help would be great.

Cheers

get a compression test and a leak down test before anything make sure thats all good

get someone to drive and and u sit behind it make sure no white smoke comes out the exhaust

check the plugs while your there make sure they not white or very dry some a few things to look for

hope it helps u out

The V-Spec rear diff has cooling fins on it. The Standard GTR does not.

There are some other differences such as lower susp'n and its hardness & different tailshaft but the diff is the most obvious.

Besides above post, check all service history + logs. If that's not available, check for sludge around oil filler opening.

Check for rust

Check for damage under boot carpet and scratched panel bolts in the engine bay. If Auction report says that the condition of the car is 4 or less out of 5, then there may have been some damage repair. Just make sure it's fixed correctly.

See whether or not the odometer reading and auction statement of odo, correspond with wear on carpet, seat bolsters, steering wheel, gear shift lever. And if there are logs, see if the last entry odo reading (using a Japanese friend literate with the log entry) corresponds with the auction report.

I hope that's a great car for you - because if everything checks out, it should be...

Tez

Hiya,

You'll see the fins by popping your head underneath the rear. No need to put it up on the hoist.

But I'd certainly put it up on a hoist if only to check for rust, seepage, bushes, drive shaft boots, damage etc.

For example, if there's seepage coming down from the crankshaft seal, it'll cost heaps to replace the oil pump.

A genuine low Km, completely serviced, undamaged R33 GT-R V-Spec in great condition, may set you back $25K.

I wouldn't pay any extra for modifications unless it's extremely high quality and it's taken care of by an enthusiast.

At one extreme, you can get lower grade GTRs for $21K; and at the other extreme, a low Km LM model will still be well over $32K.

Cheers,

Tez :nyaanyaa:

R33 GT-R? Still a great shape - great car.