SAU Community

R33gtr Update

donkey

hey there,

as of the other day update the final figures of my GTR mods (2860-5, G4 Link, injectors, pump, 115mm FMIC, profect B, HKS twin, light weight fly etc etc

i didnt want huge KW, torque was what i wanted, and torque is what santa bought me :(

15lbs 240AWKW

18lbs 308AWKW

torque 855 n/m from 3800-7400RPM (redline)

this was a nice safe tune too.......

this was a 8 month ordeal, that has cost me a fortune, would like to thank everyone, especially moderators, SKid etc for all the advice, has been really helpfull (shit this sounds like a oscar award speach! :D ) tihs forum is bloody great!

cheers robbie

Sounds great Robbie, must pull haaard!!.

2860-5 turbos look to have similar response to the stock GTR turbos. Only a ~400rpm sacrifice, is this correct?

I ask because I want to replace my stock turbos eventually and was leaning towards the HKS GTSS turbos but your 2860-5's look to be great for response also.

hey bakes

what i have read, is the GTSS turbos will/are more streetable, more responsive, but when you want to go higher then about 330AWKW the 2860-5 are the way to go (cue. correct me if im wrong?) have to ask someone else about them being as responsive as standard, but i would think you would loose a bit of response due to the fact these turbos are larger (cue. correct me if im wrong?)...

CS net

and yes i was quite surprised with the torque, i know the new G4 Link is really tune-able, i just told my tuner to go for max torque, i wasnt searching for mega KW's

hope this is some help......

cheders robbie

Edited by donkey

Sounds good donkey.

For those interested this has been my experience on r33 gtr's.

Standard turbos are all in by ~3500rpm

GTSS- ~3700rpm

2860-7 ~4000rpm

2860-5 ~4600rpm

These figures are when the car starts really moving, not just when full boost is just reached as there is usually a slight delay.

Some people may have made them slightly more responsive with tuning.

Anyone managed to better these? If so, with what supporting mods/cam timing etc?

Edited by nfi

yeah the -7 are the same/similar to the GT SS......

most people say if you want torque/response go the GT SS, i dont know how much torque the GT SS turbos on my set up would produce, i would be keen to find out, i know they would have better response, but torque?

but dam i spent alot to get these beast's to work, i think looking back on it i would have gone GT SS, just the mods/gaskets etc for the garrets gets expensive, and the supports to make them work is alot of coin......to get the full potential out of them you really want to go 20lbs+ and then you need to mod oil pump, sump, returns, prob go forged god the list goes on.....

robbie

The 2860-7's are more responsive than the 2860-5's yeah? Aren't the 7's a smaller turbo?

I'd like to see a bar of boost by mid three's... Who know's if I'll get it lol.

Yep the -7's are smaller. Hence they come on boost earlier but make less than the -5's in the top end.

hmmm

correct me if im wrong, but if my max torque figure is starting at 3800rpm wouldnt that mean that they are running at full boost?

robbie

Absolutely... I would suggest the scaling on the dyno graph is incorrect or the ramp speed of the dyno was set very slow.

Next time you drive the car watch the tacho in say 3rd gear when you can actually watch the transition and see when it hits full boost and when it starts really going. That will be the point its actually making peak torque.

Wherever peak torque is, you'll have bucket loads of pull. I would be very surprised if -5's were pulling at 3800rpm.

Let me know when you have a chance to feel on the road where it actually picks up.

Remember on the dyno you can create excessive load that you would never see on the road making boost ramp up far quicker than it could on the road.