SAU Community

An Offer I Couldn't Refuse!

RubyRS4

I'm home from the MotoGP weekend. Woohoo what fun!

For those who don't know, I'm a race official at the MotoGP and this was my 7th year working as a race official in the paddock area. My job basically encompasses supervising the rookies, ensuring access roads are clear for medical and media personnel, and calling in recovery vehicles for crashed riders.

This year, I was given the opportunity to 'observe' in the flag towers and assist the track officials in getting crashed bikes/riders off the track quickly. However, I was pulled off the track wall and replaced by a team of fat, asthmatic, older guys who were not physically able bodied. They whinged enough and got given the chance, and I took it personally, given the walkie talkie and put back to supervising recovery at turns 4 and 5. Having been my 7th year and quite fit, yet rookies were given the better jobs. I was ready to quit and tell my senior race leader I wouldnt return next year. But apparently, he and my chief marshall had something in mind for me ...

On the Sunday race day, me and a small team were given the opportunity to work in pit lane. Yes, pit lane. Chris Vermulen almost ran over my foot :D Thats how close I was to the action. I made sure Tracy came with me and had the chance to smell the fumes with me. But despite being a kid in a candy shop, I did my job and apparently people were watching me ...

After race day, my team leader pulled me aside and offered me to run my own team of officials at next years Phillip Island round of the V8 Super Cars. I will be managing an entire garage/team on their practice and race day pit stops and ensuring they follow all race regulations. Basically, the team cannot release the car from the pits without my okay. I can also disqualify a car/team for any breaches of rules for pit stops, tyre changes, fuel rationing etc. Naturally, I said yes to the offer. My leader told me they have been impressed with my professional attitude at the MotoGP for the past 7 years and need someone like me to manage the pits next year. :P

I'm excited and f**king nervous at the same time!

Well, pics are to come once I can download them. I've got pics to show off of me with Eric Bana, Mark Webber, Mick Doohan, Gardner, Randy Mamola and a few others! :O

I should also add ... there is also an opportunity for me to be part of a team of race officials to assist with marshalling at the Isle of Man TT in the UK. I'm thinking about it. I wanna see an IOMTT one day, but not sure how I'd go about working there. Think I'd rather be a tourist if I was to pay to fly there.

The Malaysian MotoGP also employed a team of 50 aussie race officials this year to 'teach' them how to run a successful GP. I will be notified by mail if/when another team is required to fly over to help run the event.

I better start putting some money aside :P

whoa thats awesome man!!

Congrats on the opportunity!

Thanks guys ... an awesome opportunity indeed. Out of the 30 odd race officials I worked with, it was me who got pulled aside and offered the position. I'm calling the guy I need to speak to again tonight to get some more details mailed out to me. Need to understand what my job description entails completely. I just don't want to f**k it up :/

I'll be given more power and responsibility ... I'll try to use it for 'good' :P