SAU Community

Blocking Off Bov

Fabs_32

Dave notice the plural

Shazza i have found be honest with the police to the best of you knowledge, you are not a mechanic if that makes sense

for example my car sounds loud but a police officer asked me if it was too loud and i said to be honest i have no idea, as its never been tested so there was no point me making assumptions that it was too loud

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, this tsuuuu sound, what does it do? like, i see the original bov has more u's after it therefore its a longer kind of sound right?

dont mean to be a pain in the ass but im still waiting on a reply?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey fellas,

Quick question...

What about, if I did the Cole can trick, drilled a small whole in the centre of the aluminium... Would that mean it would only flutter a small bit or when I rev the shot out of it???

As I was thinking then when I drive it easy it won't flutter?

Anyone know?

I suspect the flutter will just be a bit quieter than fully blocked, as you are letting a bit of air escape. Its the same as an adjustable BOV when you tighten it to only release a small amount of pressure.

In theory it should work like the way he is intending to, but then again when it comes to skylines theory and practicality don't mix too well lol

In theory it should work like the way he is intending to, but then again when it comes to skylines theory and practicality don't mix too well lol

hahaha yea, that's my worry! :)

will test and try...

I think Damo is being sarcastic, Jamie. If there is a small hole then only a little bit of air will flow out. For example on full throttle release (rev out) you should get flutter and bit of stockie wssssh and on partial throttle release (4000rpm gear change) you should get just the wsssssh sound and maybe the tiniest bit of flutter :D

i think you will find that the material will tear as you are introducing a stress concentrator in the can material with a hole. If you want to have a plate with a hole in it you will need to go for ~1mm thick aluminium.

Wicked! That's what I'm looking for!!!! So I can still be in stealth mode if I need to be... :)

You drive a skyline there is no such thing as stealth mode

Leave the car at home = stealth mode

Jamie, Steve is correct on this one mate. If you want to drive it in stealth mode then just return the car back to stock and that will be the only way to get about lol. I have an adjustable BOV if you wanna try it and see it this is what you are after.

Hey guys,

just completed the experiment of blocking off the bov however leaving some holes so that it can still be silent when you drive soft and flutter when you give it a bit...

So far it went well... It took a couple of goes to get the right amount of small holes into the aluminum so that it would be at the right pressure but it seemed to have worked...

I can see what you mean guys, when you say that I may need thicker aluminium due to the stress it will be under but we will see how it goes.

Thanks for the offer krishy, however I'm trying to stay away from after market bov due to that being one of the first things cops look for when they pop your hood... :(

Anyways... If people have been thinking of blocking their bov for the sound, maybe the way I have done it would be a good option... :)

cheers

Take it for a test drive and let us know how it sounds compared with before :thumbsup:

Took it for a run on PRIVATE PROPERTY (cough cough) and it sounded great... none of those stalling issues either...

As mentioned in above post, you can drive it softly with no flutter and if you want it to flutter just give it some stick!!!! :)

All is good...

(now to take it off so that i can drive on the public roads again withought being defected by the boys in blue....)