SAU Community

Blocking Off Bov

Fabs_32

good waste of time :P lol did it... car didnt run bad but revs did drop after a huge flutter... was pretty sick but y fuel economy would half if i left it there!!! soo addictable :P good for a laugh but dont wona get looked at ne more than i need to

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've ran mine since I can remember with a blocked off BOV.

With the ceramic turbo running 1bar I covered around 100,000km's on the rb20det, then pulled it out for the rb30det. Still in good nick. I went a VG30 which was good for another 50,000km's and was still fine when I pulled that off, the Garrett gt30 I now run still doesn't use a BOV.

The GT30r has covered around 40,000km's now. Damn time flies. :S

The bov is there for emission reasons. Without a bov look what it does to your afr's on and afm voltage as you come off the throttle which causes stalling, back fires and some times flamage. Another issues is the strain it puts on your joiners/clamps. I had to replace some with t-bolts.

The reason I went no bov is the stocker was for the part throttle drivability. No bov you grab the next gear and boost is just there. Without a bov it felt laggier on gear changes as I presume it takes longer to fill the FMIC and piping than it does to regain the 'slight' speed the compressor may loose due to pushing against a pressure source.

Shaun/Boostworx runs track cars with no bov, no issues related to no bov. I know of multiple high powered RB30et's without issues running no bov.

No more need to be said!!!!

• 2 years later...

Okay, old thread here. sorry, want to blank off my bov so I dont look like a fag when I drive around. Used search came up with this and a heap of old closed threaDs that seem to make it sound like IF u blank of ur bov it just makes ur car get that other gay flutter noise not silencing it completely. Is this correct?????

you own a turbo car but dont like the bov noise? have you got an aftermarket bov?

yes, if you block it off it will flutter.

Did have an aftermarket atmospheric one when I got the car which said LOOK AT ME, then swapped the mechanic who took it through regency for me for his stock one. But its still too loud oh well guess Ill just have to put up with it in exchange for a nice fast car.

The one that was on it also made a fluttery type sound when u gave it a rev.........I dont know fark all bout them though

you probably had an adjustable one, where you can stiffen to spring so it only vents a small amount of pressure and flutters the rest. if you have a pod, try fitting a stock airbox to quieten the induction noise and see how you go

Just out of curiosity.... everyone is saying use coke cans, mountain dew cans etc. Are they being used as blanking plates? Not entirely sure how its done.

I've got a 32 with an rb20 with an aftermarket BOV. Was just wondering what the deal is with making up blanking plates and what everyone has used.

Okay, old thread here. sorry, want to blank off my bov so I dont look like a fag when I drive around. Used search came up with this and a heap of old closed threaDs that seem to make it sound like IF u blank of ur bov it just makes ur car get that other gay flutter noise not silencing it completely. Is this correct?????

As Damo has mentioned earlier. You cannot have a turbo car with a pod filter and not expect any induction noise at all. Even with the stock BOV it makes a loud woooosh sound. But if you block/blank it off all the pressure has to go somewhere and since the BOV is blocked it will just go back through the system hence why it makes the huge (in my case) flutter.

Just out of curiosity.... everyone is saying use coke cans, mountain dew cans etc. Are they being used as blanking plates? Not entirely sure how its done.

I've got a 32 with an rb20 with an aftermarket BOV. Was just wondering what the deal is with making up blanking plates and what everyone has used.

Totaly acceptable use of thread bump guys

Take your bov off grab a pen trace around it and cut coke can up a good pair of scissors is all that's needed

Presto spot on Steve. I have been using a coke can pretty much since i have ever owned the car lol

pfffffff as if flutter is gay.

Diesels don't have/need BOV's and they don't make any noise as they don't have throttle bodies.

Exactly. How can someone not like the flutter :D