SAU Community

Dodgy Work On My Gtr And Now The Engine Is Toast.

doutsis

mate, sorry to hear about what happened... thats horrible, i know the feeling.. especially when its not just a simple mistake... it sounds like you actually got ripped off.

as a mechanic... id like to let everyone know that we're not all like that.. i take pride in my work and my cleanliness and my tools.... i do what im asked, no more, except for a couple of polite freebies that i may notice... cables hanging down, earth cables, etc etc, but definatly no less.. the fact that they charged actually had the nerve to charge you for the so called "work" is ridiculous.

on the other hand, ive worked next to blokes that couldnt care less.. its disgusting the way they treat customers posessions, no floor mats, seat covers or guard covers, dont wash their hands, leave oil fingerprints everywhere... its just crap.

i dont mind if people watch me, i have nothing to hide.. i dont like people standing next to me though.. i like my space.

if your an absolute dick about it though, well... i have a few oil filters at home that were meant to be changed.

Good post.

As a consumer I think we all fall three categories. If you do the work yourself, then you are excluded!

1 - A total n00b.

2 - Someone who knows enough to be dangerous.

3 - Someone who can do it all but pays for the work to get done.

I personally fall in between 2 and 3. I can do a lot myself and at the same time I can't do more than I can; if that makes any sense at all. My R31, I'll do it all and don't care about the outcome. Jack stands, resting the auto tranny on my chest while I fiddle around with bolts.... but my GTR?? Screw that... I'll pay a premium to get a premium service for a car that I love.

Again, as a consumer, responses to good/bad/indifferent service fall into two categories:

1 - Emotional

2 - Logical

When I started this post it was both. My baby is broken and I paid good money to prevent this from happening. When I spoke to the workshop I had to be logical. A grown man crying to another grown man wouldn't get very far!

In the end I have had a few things cleared up as well as a professional reply to what happened. It takes a lot of balls to admit you have done something wrong, the kudos points goes even further saying that it'll be fixed. This isn't just on my car problems, this is a general rule of thumb.

You are right, a good mechanic will be up front and honest. A bad one is the one where you get the fingerprints and scratch marks on the car.

And, you being a a mechanic do you want someone calling twice a day asking how the work is going or someone that will leave you to your job? The faith goes both ways... you do right by me and I'll do right by you.

I'm confident that my car is in good hands. I don't believe there will be any issues with the follow up service. I think I posted somewhere earlier, it was just a simple mistake. If I am short sighted and believe that simple mistakes never happen then I'm deluding myself.

So, to wrap up another one of my rants. The emotional reply to "WTF DID YOU!" is the wrong one and the reply from the mechanic about the problem and a few other points has been spot on. I'm happy =)

And a +1 to all the good mechanics out there that do the right thing.

Cheers,

James

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And a +1 to all the good mechanics out there that do the right thing.

definately.

best of luck with it, hope it comes back cleaner then before.

my first tuner ripped me off (in my mind) for paying for "X" work but only getting "U" work done and getting overcharged for it all (what "all", half the 100thou service shit I paid for wsnt done)

thats after looking them in the eye saying Im after a trustworthy tuner I can come to for ever & ever......

my second tuner is my current tuner, nothing but 5star from Boostwerx

off to see shaun & troy shortly to get a quote on the head work, porting etc and fitting my parts, incl poncams, and tuning external injectors....

:P