SAU Community

R32 Gtr Diff Very Clunky

PHATR32

Hi Guys,

I went to the pits today to get a yella taken off for bald rears, and the dude failed me cause he said the rear diff was too harsh and clunky. I told him it was the standard nissan 2 way diff but he said, doesnt matter, get it fixed.

So apart from taking the shims out (converting it into an open diff), or putting in a differant diff, what can I do to quieten it down heaps??

Ive done a search but havnt had much luck finding anything usefull.

Can anyone with experiance on 2way gtr diffs recommend a good lube that will shut it up??

I really cbf'd pulling the diff out!

thanks guys

Steve

Edited by PHATR32

You *could* machine the housing to loosen it up a little (diff rebuild).

OR you might be able to use a different oil or some LSD additive to quieten it down a bit...(not sure of the exact details, I've seen the product names before and there's a sticky on recommended oils)

Hi Guys,

I went to the pits today to get a yella taken off for bald rears, and the dude failed me cause he said the rear diff was too harsh and clunky. I told him it was the standard nissan 2 way diff but he said, doesnt matter, get it fixed.

So apart from taking the shims out (converting it into an open diff), or putting in a differant diff, what can I do to quieten it down heaps??

Ive done a search but havnt had much luck finding anything usefull.

Can anyone with experiance on 2way gtr diffs recommend a good lube that will shut it up??

I really cbf'd pulling the diff out!

thanks guys

Steve

Yep, try some redline 75/90 gear oil... or 85/140w - they have a friction modifier built in which might smooth it up.. on top of that you can get a small bottle of Redline Friction Modifier and add 10ml at a time..

thanks for that, ill give the redline a go before i do anything else.

I know if i pull the shims out itll end up being open diff, which is something i dont want!!

cheers

steve

I wouldn;t be putting Redline in your LSD to shut it up, have used this oil in the same diff as yours and it made mine more knocky than usual (diff is in very good nick to boot). Try Castrol SAF-XA (fully synthetic) , made mine MUCH quieter + I get longer change intervals.

I wouldn;t be putting Redline in your LSD to shut it up, have used this oil in the same diff as yours and it made mine more knocky than usual (diff is in very good nick to boot). Try Castrol SAF-XA (fully synthetic) , made mine MUCH quieter + I get longer change intervals.

Sort of depends on "which" Redline you use.. maybe you used one of the 'Shockproof' variants? or did you use the 80-140 Gear Oil?

But yeah it doesn't have to be Redline, just needs to be a good oil with friction modifiers built in. I was just saying Redline because it is what I used and it sure worked for me, and I used the 80-140 gear oil in a Nismo GT Pro.. I'm sure the SAF-XA would work well too.

Sort of depends on "which" Redline you use.. maybe you used one of the 'Shockproof' variants? or did you use the 80-140 Gear Oil?

But yeah it doesn't have to be Redline, just needs to be a good oil with friction modifiers built in. I was just saying Redline because it is what I used and it sure worked for me, and I used the 80-140 gear oil in a Nismo GT Pro.. I'm sure the SAF-XA would work well too.

80-140 gear oil, I used & still use shockproof lightweight for the gearbox (no dramas with this). Sydneykid recommended the Castol SAF-XA to me some years back based on what he used in his race cars, it's good stuff.