SAU Community

gearboxes

FLY-SKY

if u r just pulling the old box out and replacing with a new its just straight forward . drop one out lift other up bolt on and way u go . if u r going to change the clutch at the same time then u have to line the clutch up , if u want to do that let me know and i'll post for u .as long as u know the basic stuff , undo tail shaft all bellhousing bolts including starter , slave , unplug wiring , take the gearstick out , i think that covers it as u have a push clutch it will come out no probs . r33 with pull clutch is a different story .

thats what i said before if u want to pull the clutch out ( good idea while the box is down ) to inspect and maybe change it if half or more worn then u have to line it up so u can put the box back up .if u dont line it up the box will never go back .once u have the box down undo all the bolts that hold the clutch assembly and pull the clutch pressure plate off . have a look at the clutch plate for wear and if 1/2 worn u need to get a clutch kit ( new clutch plate , new or rebuild pressure plate , new thrust bearing and a new spiggot bush or bearing ( not sure if ur car has bush or bearing ). i would take the flywheel off and get it machined ( 30-40 $ ). install the spiggot then flywheel ( i always use locktite on the bolts ) then the pressure plate with clutch ( make sure u put the clutch plate the right way )use locktite on the pressure plate bolts . before u do the pressure plate tight u line up the spine of the clutch plate to make sure its in the middle its got to be spot on ( u can buy a tool to do that ) i have old g/box input shafts to line up my clutches . as long as its lining up when u lift the g/box up threre it will go in u just turn the box left to right a little so spline of the shaft doesnt hit the clutch spline and u r sweet .if it doesnt line up it wont go cause the pressure plate presses the clutch plate hard and it wont move . i hope it this helps u , by the way u r lucky it has a push clutch and not a pull one .

as for machining the flywheel have a look if it hasnt got burn marks ( if u drive like a grany it may not ) then dont worry but i always do it .

if got another clutch with the new box that u r instaling check it out if nearly new use it if not dont risk it . u can get a new clutch kit for u r car for 200 - 250 ( stock )