SAU Community

r33 vs. silvia w/rb20det

i always have this debates with friends and uthers...im snoopin around for a car at the moment and i have divided opinions on the r33 skyline and the rb20det powered sil....definately there's many pros and cons...but i want to see wat u guys think...

n e comments on the issue is much appreciated...

thanks

:shake:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drive an s13 with an SR20DET.. at least until I get enough money together for my GTR.

I have very basic mods.. 3" straight through (turbo to tip) and modified r33 gtst's have a tough time keeping up.. even on the M1 all the way to the 180km/hr speed limiter.

the 2 litre silvia K's packs a lot of punch for the $$. and with some tasteful styling like some good looking 17's and removing the rear wing, they are a very good looking car.

i was in my mates rb20 180sx the other day... he was drunk so i was driving... with 4 people we beat a modded r33 (big fmic, etc) ... i launched like shit and had 3 car lengths by 70km/h :)

they are quick and get good traction for 125rwkw (what my mates got on the dyno) .. i know the guy with the r33 and i think it has around 150rwkw maybe a bit more.

But my RB20 vl with 132rwkw still used to beat my mates 180sx with 125rwkw ... must be the weight over the tyres and soft suspension (not soft anymore)... also i ride the clutch i dont fry the tires.

Evan

Well people, funny how people that have say s13 with rb engine say i beat r33's. Mine isnt very modified. R33 gtst bit more boost exhaust, standard dump pipe and a k&n pod and its not too bad for what it is. Rolling start i havent really raced many cars and it may only be the 33's in your area that arent modified much but rolling start my 33 goes quite well. Had a 2nd gear roll on with a friend who has a s13 with rb20 with a front mount, pod and more boost and we were even in 2nd but didnt get to race into 3rd or 4th. I mean thats only one RBS13 and one R33 but im sure there are quick ones of both types of cars out there and it really comes down to personal preference.

Why's it funny? Man an rb20 Silvia(or even a sr20 one) is always going to have better power to weight ratio then a r33, which is heavier. Dont have to be offended that r33's can be beaten. But yeah it all comes down to personal preference. Anyway its all good. hehe

That does simply not make sense to me.. why two cars with the same engine.. the heavier car has more top end power?

I get that a lot about my Sr20det powered silvia..

"Oh six cylinder skyline will beat you over 100km/hr"

I have raced SEVERAL r33 gtst's all the way up to 180km/hr, neither of us could pull away. And if anyone was slightly gaining it was my car. Sorry croat but this is first hand experience.

It's a myth that originated with the 6 and 8 cyl commodore people imo. :/

RB20 calais, are you sure the R33 was having a go too?

with 4 in your car that would make the 180 weight at around 1400. with 125rw this doent sound like a skyline chopping sx.

sr20 powered S13s are quick but however they would be very close to R33s in performancewise, with the same driver of course.

ron

pentae, the two cars do not have the same engine. r33's have rb25s, not rb20's.

I'm a little confused here... can somebody explain why you would swap out a perfectly good engine and replace it with an rb20 to gain what is it 10 kw? I understand if your engine blows or something, but couldn't the money that it would cost to do the swap be better spent? Or am i missing something?