SAU Community

Fakes & Counterfeits Documentary On Abc Tv

I do kind of agree. There is a guy on ebay (Chinese funnily enough) who has gone to the extreme of cloning my LEDs, cloning my ads and trying to undercut me on price. It is costing me business and the average Joe doesn't actually realise the time and effort that went into my current design, and how the other guys LEDs actually fall a fair bit short as they're a rip-off of the 1st Gen LEDs I had.

It's not until they've bought his, realised they're dodge...they have then been poisoned against that style of LED, which unfortunately doesn't do me any favours. Luckily my ones are properly packaged with my company logo etc etc and he hasn't stopped that low to try and copy that part...yet.

Also about the eggs, this article does mention a few of my concerns....especially regarding the taste and general egg-like performance of them. I think we've been punked!

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/fake-eggs-china.shtml

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breaking News:-

SAUer's 10 yr old son builds a Project car that is a counterfeit of the Chery except that it's better than the Chery in all crash tests!

The Project title is called, "BILLY CART"

turbo brian- mate theres no chance in hell im paying for shithouse R&D. being sponsored previously with adidas through sport as well as nike, i can guarentee all there R&D is done in the shitter. products that last f**k all and cost a shitload to me is a rort. and give me the 2 dollar option that outlasts the originals 10 times longer.

how many ppl buy a specific pair of socks coz of the exact stitching? the feel ( ie making ur feet sweat/not sweat) though is different. but i never noticed a difference at all in that department in the 15 years of sport and sponsorships.

666DAN- might be shit initially but u will notice as i have in business that people will end up realising you have the better/genuine product and in alot of the cases ( well ive experienced it) they come back to u, with pissed off stories that they should have just done it the RIGHT way the FIRST time.

As mentioned earlier a few posts back, the buyer has to be sensible and to me the cost has to be JUSTIFIED, theres alot of products that are which in that case is ALWAYS ALWAYS my option, but there are also products that are in NO WAY justified ( which ive experienced) and to me its just a matter for paying for a brand name which in no way is made any better than a copy ( all probably made in the same factor anyway) for all we know some places which make brand names, keep extra on the side, put a slightly different logo on it and then charge 1/4 price, for the exact same thing

Edited by 2BNVS

"Should" is arguable. The counterfeiters don't have to pay a designer to come up with an original idea, and that's what costs money. If the clothing is well made, someone had to come up with how it's made and what materials are used to provide that quality. The counterfeiters also don't have to pay for all that marketing dross to "position the brand" where it is. These are all costs that add up for the OEM, but not something a counterfeiter needs to worry about while still benefiting from the expenditure.

I've also noticed that counterfeit goods tend to be low quality. Counterfeit stuff tends to fall apart, since it's all the show but without any of that aforementioned stitching / materials choice.

Lets face it, it doesn't cost Nissan 8 million yen in materials and manufacturing labour to make a GT-R. But if they hadn't spent money on wind tunnel research, test mules, shipping teams to Germany to go driving around a specific tollway in the mountains, etc the GT-R wouldn't be as good as it is.

Imagine if someone bought a GT-R, pulled it apart and measured everything to find out how it was made, and then made practically the same car but with shitter parts and sold it for half the price. They'd use aluminium instead of carbon, and steel instead of aluminium. They'd put it on Nankangs instead of Bridgestones. The multi-function display would be coded by Wipro or Satam instead of Polyphony. The aero might generate massive turbulence at speed because it wasn't copied just right.

It'd still look and sound like an R35, and for people who don't care about what makes the GT-R so good but only care bout being seen in one then they'd all flock to it. To people who'll only cruise George St / Chapel St in it, it's as good as Nissan's so why bother buying it. Since that style-over-substance attitude is quite prevalent these days, it might bury the genuine vehicle because it devalues the reputation of the car as well as letting wankers who might have bought one anyway to show off to get a knock-off.

Well said.

However, in the interest of parity I will include this article on why piracy in the fashion industry is a good thing which I thought was quite interesting. The gist is that it basically spurs innovation. However, it's not entirely applicable to the car industry since the business model for developing cars is to have a several year model cycle, where as fashion seasons are annual and so pricing is engineered to recoup costs within a relatively short period.

That fashion article you posted reads ...

The standard theory goes that if a creator's exclusive right to profit from the distribution of her work is not protected by law, then creators will lose the incentive to create, as "free riders" drive down the price of the work by filling the market with copies.

This theory may hold true for books (the original "intellectual property" of Renaissance IP debates), inventions, and music, but it's apparently a poor fit for the fashion industry. If it weren't for widespread copying of clothing and accessory designs, there would be no such thing as a "fashion trend." The fashion industry, it seems, has settled into a relatively stable state (an equilibrium) in which a large amount of intellectual property "piracy" effectively drives the market.

There is a line in that article that reads "If it weren't for widespread copying of clothing and accessory designs, there would be no such thing as a "fashion trend."".

Quite simply, that is a complete crock of @#$% :ninja:

And there's a very simple way to prove that it's a crock ... Before clothes were widely counterfeited, fashion trends already existed.

My brother-in-law owns an Australian clothing company, and him and anyone else in the fashion industry will tell you that what creates fashion trends is definitely NOT "widespread copying of clothing and accessory designs" - instead it is true innovation by designers, responding to the demand of retail customers for new looks every season.

The paper that article talks about was written by "two law professors".

It goes without saying that in the fashion industry and almost all other manufacturing based industries, the real business world and the world of academic theory and academic paper writing is often world's apart.

- Adam

I do kind of agree. There is a guy on ebay (Chinese funnily enough) who has gone to the extreme of cloning my LEDs, cloning my ads and trying to undercut me on price. It is costing me business and the average Joe doesn't actually realise the time and effort that went into my current design, and how the other guys LEDs actually fall a fair bit short as they're a rip-off of the 1st Gen LEDs I had.

It's not until they've bought his, realised they're dodge...they have then been poisoned against that style of LED, which unfortunately doesn't do me any favours.

The same thing happens with steering wheel quick releases.

Works Bell invented the ball lock system for quick releases, holds the patent on it, and has NOT licensed their patent to any other manufacturers.

Some people who buy a counterfeit or knock off of the genuine Works Bell ball lock quick release then have problems with the counterfeit or knock off, and then think that the design of the ball lock system has something wrong with it, which of course it DEFINITELY does NOT ... all they are seeing is the problems inherent in a counterfeit or knock off ball lock system, NOT the genuine system.

I've even seen posts in forums where people who have bought a knock off or counterfeit then tell people that ball lock system in general is no good and only systems with splines are any good - which is ludicrous.

That is a big part of why many manufacturers go after counterfeiters.

I mean if people counterfeited Apple computers, and someone bought a counterfeit iMac which then failed, then some people might say "ah there must be something wrong with Apple computers" (in general).

Whereas they haven't experienced an Apple computer at all - they have only experienced a counterfeit.

We often get flamed when we post in forums about the difference between genuine Works Bell Rapfix II quick releases compared to the counterfeits and knock offs.

I often post this photo which I took at Drift Australia at Eastern Creek of the wear on a quick release that is NOT a genuine Works Bell quick release ...

large275.jpg

So we posted this article on our site with photos of the multi-step manufacturing and metal forging process used to make the genuine Works Bell quick releases, why the real deal genuine ones are the go, and what can go wrong with counterfeits and knock offs ...

http://tinyurl.com/6mgsvq

As it says in that article ...

One of the drift teams at Eastern Creek told me on Saturday that the copy they bought does not automatically lock onto the steering column like it should, so they need to manually lock the locking collar into place. That introduces human error into the equation - forget to manually lock a copy and there's a massively increased chance of an accident.

Additionally one of the drift teams at Eastern Creek told me on Saturday that they were using a copy quick release, and at Oran Park the copy broke, and the wheel came off in the drivers hands at full speed, mid-corner !

At the end of the day, the only way to be sure of genuine quality from the original manufacturer is to buy the product made by the genuine original manufacturer.

Also about the eggs, this article does mention a few of my concerns....especially regarding the taste and general egg-like performance of them. I think we've been punked!

They will need to change that webpage now that the "Fake Trade" video has come out.

At the end of the day, given a choice between a respected documentary film maker and some blog on the internet written by who knows who, I believe the TV documentary which actually shows the eggs being made.

Go to this page, and you can see the fake eggs being made 22 minutes into the video. You can click on the slider to jump to that part of the video ...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5947862651880646162

- Adam

turbo brian- mate theres no chance in hell im paying for shithouse R&D. being sponsored previously with adidas through sport as well as nike, i can guarentee all there R&D is done in the shitter. products that last f**k all and cost a shitload to me is a rort. and give me the 2 dollar option that outlasts the originals 10 times longer.

I have a pair of genuine Salomon hiking boots that I bought in the US in 1994 ... that's 14 years ago.

I have worn them hundreds of times and they have never been resoled or needed any kind of repairs to them whatsoever.

Even the internal liner around my ankle in them is still in one piece and has not worn through.

I've worn them on every overseas trip I've ever been on, have worn them on horse treks, fishing trips, walked over oyster encrusted rocks in them, spilled fuel on them, waded through rivers with them on etc.

They are the toughest pair of shoes I've ever seen.

And no, they were not made in China.

- Adam

congratulations , fark so much arguing comin from u, why waste ur time on a skyline forums and go politics or something.

ah well no point arguing as i agree in some ways, i will continue to buy copies as to me there are alot of products that there is no justification on the price, i really dont care. Genuine Veiside rear bar $1890, my jetspeed VS rear bar $400. lined up perfect, stuff all preping. tough as, been hit and banged and still perfect.

Edited by 2BNVS

geez, lotta people in this thread getting around in Bali spec Rolex's and K-Mart shoes. :banana:

The only thing that shits me about having a GENUINE Tag Heuer is when people ask how much i paid for it in Bali. :)

Anyway i got the genuine Works Bell quick release and locking system and i found the engineering, quality and finish so bloody tops, i ordered a genuine Works Bell steering wheel to go with it.

Goes real nice with my Defi Gauges, HKS Turbo charger kit, Tomei stroker crank, rods, pistons, cams and all the other parts that come from leading japanese manufacturers.

Do it once, do it right. Genuine parts all the way. You'll find Tuners won't be so reluctant to pump 2 bar into your engine when it's not built from Chinese components.

Anyway i got the genuine Works Bell quick release and locking system and i found the engineering, quality and finish so bloody tops, i ordered a genuine Works Bell steering wheel to go with it.

Goes real nice with my Defi Gauges, HKS Turbo charger kit, Tomei stroker crank, rods, pistons, cams and all the other parts that come from leading japanese manufacturers.

Do it once, do it right. Genuine parts all the way.

Great to hear you're so happy with your Works Bell steering wheel and other Works Bell parts mate :blink: The quality is truly great huh ?

- Adam

It's not until they've bought his, realised they're dodge...they have then been poisoned against that style of LED, which unfortunately doesn't do me any favours. Luckily my ones are properly packaged with my company logo etc etc and he hasn't stopped that low to try and copy that part...yet.

Well I bought yours the first time around Dan and I'm 100% behind you... Great product.. Wish pricks weren't so 'bargan basement' cheap..

theres nothing wrong with local proven items or non jap at 1/2 the price (not talking chinese copies either)

I never said there was anything wrong with genuine innovative products developed and made in Australia.

Australia has some truly innovative companies - just look at examples like Motec, Hollinger and Ecliptech (makers of the Australian made Shift-I shift light system which we stock).

This thread has never been about Australian companies developing new innovative original products right here in Australia - that should be encouraged.

- Adam

Great to hear you're so happy with your Works Bell steering wheel and other Works Bell parts mate ;) The quality is truly great huh ?

- Adam

Yeah real happy with the works bell gear. Haven't seen the steering wheel yet, it arrived after i went back to work. :). Have the car back now to so all will be going on when i get back home. Will post up some pics.

my comment was more in regards to PE's post about all the leading jap brand parts :-)

I have Aussie parts too.....

Running Hypertune plenum and 100mm throttle body. These are the ultimate in car p0rn. Workman ship on the plenum was sensational.

Non-genuine SARD fuel pressure regulators with SARD logo on them

Hi All,

We've been hearing more stories of non-genuine SARD fuel pressure regulators being sold the last few weeks (some of which are non-genuine ones being sold with a SARD logo on them).

Word is now spreading through a number of forums about this issue, so we have just published a page on our website about it, with photos of the real thing and links to pages with more info about how tell the real thing from the non-genuine ones .

You can find our article on our site at ...

http://www.tunersgroup.com/TunerWire_Live/...nuine_sard.html

- Adam