SAU Community

GTR sump pan is aluminum? Iron? Steel?

Hi guys, aluminium is easily welded if you have the equipment and the expertise.

"I'm going to look into having my 4wd sump made into a rwd sump rather than switching to an RB25 sump.."

Why? It is heavy, small in capacity, has large unused holes for drive shafts and worst of all is badly shapped and does not trap sufficient oil around the pickup. You are going to have to spend money fixing it and then spend more money making it work properly. Use an RB25 sump with wings and gates, works much better with far less hassle and best of all will cost less.

Hope that makes sense

Nameless EJ6, that was me that told you about the two different bolt patterns on the bottom of the RB26DETT block. GTR 4WD sump uses the larger outside threads, RB25, RB20, RB30, etc use the smaller inside threads. The only reason that i advised against the direction that i took (and learnt oil starvation problems from) with the RB30 sump, was because that it was such a pain in the %$#@ conversion, that you'd be better off sticking with the 4WD sump and getting the front diff and drive shafts removed.

Sydneykid makes an excellent point about windage trays, baffles, wings, trapdoors, etc. While you have the sump off i would strongly suggest looking into these oil control devices. If you can get a hold of the current ZOOM magazine sold here in Australia (i believe that it is distributed over there too) it has a bit of a guide to sumps in it.

Zen, you're speaking about the RB30 sump, how does that compare to the R33 RB25DET sump? I really don't know anything about this RB30 creature nor it's sump.

Sydneykid, do you make specialized sumps or something? Or do you know any companies that do? Those are some nice looking ones and I'd be interested in getting one.

hmm.

The RB30 that i speak of is the single cam 3 litre RB engine from the earlier R31 Skyline and also found in the GM-Holden Commodore VL which is our domestic vehicle here in Australia and New Zealand.

I have no experience with the RB25 sump from the R33 Skylines, although, i do know that they do share the same bolt pattern as the RB30 sump that i have used.

But if you do get a hold of one, get the oil pickup/strainer as well, to compare it against your Stagea 4WD sump and it's oil pickup/strainer location. I found it to be very different when i compared the R32 GTR 4WD sump and pickup in comparison to the RB30 sump and pickup. But i'd go the extra mile (no pun intended!) and get some extra baffling, and oil control devices built into the sump like, trapdoors, etc.

If i was going to do it all over again, and wanted a bolt on sump that WILL WORK. i'd be looking at these guys:

http://www.highenergy.com.au/

They have been suppling to the Australian motorsport industry for years and know their stuff. Crank scrapers, mesh windage trays, etc. As far as i know, they do Import stuff as well. Worth looking into to avoid the heartache of a sump that doesn't work very well. (Like mine used to) It's not exactly piece of mind when you've got all of the opposite lock in the world coming around a corner, and a glimpse of the oil pressure gauge shows zero!

Good luck with your conversion!