SAU Community

Big Sump for RB25DET

Freebaggin

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, another case of Sump Baffle Syndrome (SBS)!

Are you guys personnally aware of any RB25DET that has had problems caused by oil surge on the track?

I will admit that I have heard of some RB26DETTs in race cars running slicks that have had problems, but not 25s.

Yeah mate, a big sump will be a good idea - especially once the truck turbo goes on and the pistons have no ring lands left on them - you'll be burning more oil than fuel!!!!! Thats where the extra capacity will come in handy!!!

Nah seriously though, not a bad thing to get, and maybe a oil cooler as well. Did you contact the place in Victoria?

Hi Duncan, "I will admit that I have heard of some RB26DETTs in race cars running slicks that have had problems"

We have rebuilt 3 X RB26's that had problems, no slicks. Two just had normal road tyres, one had R type tyres. But like you, I would like to hear from anyone who has had a problem with oil surge in an RB20 or RB25 in a RWD chassis.

Yeah, and another of the club's RB26DETTs on road tyres blew up at Eastern Creek about 12 months ago.

But really, AFAIK these examples are all *really* hard track driven cars, and all GTRs. I just think there is a bit of hysteria regarding SBS (Sump Baffle Sydnrome) on the forums at the moment.

The main reason for bigger sump was as a substitute for a cooler. I've assumed that the bigger oil capacity would be enough to give the motor a bit of protection during the occassional hills blast and track days.

I have also assumed the big sump would be much cheaper and simpler than cooler setup.

So RB26 vs RB25 oil pressure issues are simply due to

- exit corner G force with GTR vs GTS-T or

- some inherent design fault or

- 1k higher RPM limit with RB26s????

If the standard sump is OK for my next step, bigger turbo and therefore higher RPM use, maybe up to 7600rpm then I won't worry about it.

By the way, are RB25s OK for valve bounce at higher boost & RPM?

Originally posted by Clint32

Im guessing by the time you buy a sump and go to the hassle of fitting it a oil cooler would be cheaper and easier to fit.  Cooler should only be about $300, and another $200 for fittings and the mount block.

The good oil coolers with the remote oild filter adapter sell for around $800 new!