SAU Community

Rb26 Engine Compression Woes

hey guys i recently bought a freshly imported uncompliable r32 gtr for parts for another car im building... complete drivable un stuffed with car i basically have the car as it was bought in japan nothing has been removed

has a few minor mods but still std ecu and the like .8 bar boost set on the boost controller

to say the thing runs great is an understatement it does not miss at all drives great and bloody hammers in the short few hundred metre drives up the road it had when unloading it off the trailer i have had it hot and cold several times

but i did a compression test because when you hold the revs up at about 3000 or so for about 30 seconds or so a small amount of smoke starts to exit the exhaust not blue not black just smoke... no real colour to it thats noticable

compressions as tested 30 mins ago with my new snap on compression tester are as follows

1-150

2-120

3-149

4-146

5-139

6-149 all in psi

number 2 is my main concern , now im wondering is it common that engines develop sticky rings if for instance theyre sitting in a yard for ages in japan or on docks or ship etc because this car has really badly surface rusted brake rotors so it hasnt been driven properly in a long time ... ive tried sprayinga good dose of crc down all the cylinders and left it a few days then warmed it up again and re tested and this hasnt massivly changed the readings if at all...

i do know about the old teaspoon of engine oil then retest it and if it comes up its stuffed ringlands or rings etc ,i did this quickly with crc and yes it did come up but this would also cure sticky rings i havent done it properly to properly assess it yet

im just not totally convinced that the engine is broken as it really runs too good... with the filler cap off there is NO blowby at all...with loading it up on the dyno to get it hot loaded up and things like that would that help if it is sticky or is it just rooted....opinions???

Edited by WHITE R32

I hope you have serviced your car and warm'd up the engine before started trashing it.

At the minimum you should replce your oil and oil filter, probabaly a good idea to change th fuel filter as well and flush the radiator.

Get a leakdown test done, it'll be more conlusive.

I hope you have serviced your car and warm'd up the engine before started trashing it.

At the minimum you should replce your oil and oil filter, probabaly a good idea to change th fuel filter as well and flush the radiator.

Get a leakdown test done, it'll be more conlusive.

i diddnt "trash" it it was well and truly warm... im not totally dumb :D i just wanted to see what i was like comming onto boost etc... 1 and 2nd gears only and not flat out

im not going to go and perform a full 100000km service on a car that im just using for parts

i do know a fair bit about cars im not looking for service advice as such... more directed at the sticky rings theory/if imported cars that have sat for ages come good after a while of use in specific cases like mine

i do plan on a leakdown test later next week but cracked piston broken ringland rooted rings sticky rings will all give the same result there too

thanks for your reply:)

Edited by WHITE R32

IF the sticky ring theory is right (i've got no idea) then try using Delvac-1 at your next oil change. Its a mixed fleet oil (can be used in diesel as well) fully synthetic, with excellent cleaning properties. I use it as my regular oil.