SAU Community

To Dr30 Or Not To Dr30

R34

Hi

Just wondering wether to get a DR30 or not.

Earlier in the year I bought a EVO VII for weekend fun and a bit of track work.

Basically it's boring.

Yes it's quick but there are somany electronic aids etc that any monkey could drive one quickly.

I've spent years in Skylines and owned nearly evey model (including Prince) and had a ball.

Years of learning how to extract the best from a car by learning car craft seems such a waste with the EVO's

Seems he with the bigest chequebook wins.

Really like the DR30's but missus is pushing for a convertible.

She loves her Audi but a convertible is just something different

Any suggestions?

PS anyone want an EVO? :(

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/priva...VII&trecs=8

Edited by R34

Having previously owned and tracked a Verision 6 STi and EVO IX I can attest to their capabilities on the track with very little modifications. I agree though after a while it becomes a little ho hum.

I also own a DR30 but as it is a minter I dont want to track it. Having driven it in a "spirited" fashion on the road I can tell you they are a real buzz BUT a real handful. The steering in them is imprecise, they are tailhappy and the motor is laggy.....or in other words the FUN bits are there if not ultimately the fast part.

I guess it comes down to whether you want to chase times or chase fun. If you chase fun you have the added bonus of having a car no one else will have on the track.

BTW my partner loves the DR but the fact she refers to it as the mistress probably is a good indication of how much I love it.

I would only swap it for a mint Aussie delivered R32 GTR but that is not going happen in the near future. As for my track aspirations my Mazda6 MPS is now getting some basic mods for a bit of fun. It will not be the fastest car at Wakefield but it will be something a little different to the EVO's, STi's etc

ciao

Hi

Just wondering wether to get a DR30 or not.

Earlier in the year I bought a EVO VII for weekend fun and a bit of track work.

Basically it's boring.

Yes it's quick but there are somany electronic aids etc that any monkey could drive one quickly.

I've spent years in Skylines and owned nearly evey model (including Prince) and had a ball.

Years of learning how to extract the best from a car by learning car craft seems such a waste with the EVO's

Seems he with the bigest chequebook wins.

Really like the DR30's but missus is pushing for a convertible.

She loves her Audi but a convertible is just something different

Any suggestions?

PS anyone want an EVO? :(

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/priva...VII&trecs=8

Yeah I know what you mean.

Went in an evo event of 30 plus cars ...all evos and was bored silly.

Managed 15th fastest but was the only stock boost car there.

Everyone had Semi Slicks too.

Built an R30 years ago with R31 halfcut RB20DET...loved that car wish I still had it as it was a one off.

Even fitted the rack and pinion steering into the 30

Yeah I know what you mean.

Went in an evo event of 30 plus cars ...all evos and was bored silly.

Managed 15th fastest but was the only stock boost car there.

Everyone had Semi Slicks too.

Built an R30 years ago with R31 halfcut RB20DET...loved that car wish I still had it as it was a one off.

Even fitted the rack and pinion steering into the 30

What rack and pinion did you use for the r30?

Having previously owned and tracked a Verision 6 STi and EVO IX I can attest to their capabilities on the track with very little modifications. I agree though after a while it becomes a little ho hum.

I also own a DR30 but as it is a minter I dont want to track it. Having driven it in a "spirited" fashion on the road I can tell you they are a real buzz BUT a real handful. The steering in them is imprecise, they are tailhappy and the motor is laggy.....or in other words the FUN bits are there if not ultimately the fast part.

I guess it comes down to whether you want to chase times or chase fun. If you chase fun you have the added bonus of having a car no one else will have on the track.

BTW my partner loves the DR but the fact she refers to it as the mistress probably is a good indication of how much I love it.

I would only swap it for a mint Aussie delivered R32 GTR but that is not going happen in the near future. As for my track aspirations my Mazda6 MPS is now getting some basic mods for a bit of fun. It will not be the fastest car at Wakefield but it will be something a little different to the EVO's, STi's etc

ciao

Couldn't have said it better myself...I currently own a 2002 wrx as well and bloody hell is it boring! Very easy to drive but boring lol!!!

Few mods and the DR's can be an enjoyable car very tail happy ewhen throwing them around but not outta control!

A few years ago I was competing in my 01 WRX.

One of the guys in the WRX club told me to buy back my old R30/31 Hybrid as he said he and his missus loved to wacth how sideways yet quick it was.

12 seasons of rallying taught this old bugger car control something that's not that important in a VII

You werent the only one with stock boost at the EVO day Chris, plus I had my shitty compliance tyres as well :) , mind u I only managed 20th but it was my first track event of any kind so I loved it. I seem to be going in the other direction to u it would seem, I've had my share of more savage/harsher (The DR, an FJ powered 1600 etc etc) cars and wanted something a bit more refined which would perform well straight out of the box, which I have got with my VII. I guess it's all what u want out of a car I suppose and it's intended purpose, while my DR is a ton of tail happy fun to drive it just wasn't practical as a regular driver with it's HD clutch and GT35/40-screamer etc. Whatever u decide to do I hope u continue to do some spirited driving as u have some real skills as opposed to the "cheque book" racers that where quite apparent at the EVO day.

Cheers, Vaughan.