SAU Community

The drift look bonnet?

mtopxsecret6

Originally posted by BOOSTMEISTER

I remember driving along and putting my hand out to feel the hot air being forced out the back of the bonnet...there wasn't any ?

I`d would`ve liked to have seen that... were you in the drivers seat?:P

On the skylines, the most helpful place to have any sort of heat extraction would be just above the radiator fan or maybe a little bit further back than that.. sort of like between cyliners 5 and 6..

actually, that is probably about where BOOSTMEISTER said..

The raised bonnet may look good but it is infact illegal in Australia. The reason it is illegal is because if ur involved in an accident the bonnet will slide backwards smashing the windscreen and killing ne1 travelling in the car. So its a nice look but does it improve the look of the car enough to risk being killed from a minor accident??

Why would it slide back? It is still mounted in the same way, make no mistake, that piece of black plastic at the base of the windscreen will not save you?

If you are going that high then do a extraction scoop behind the radiator or build a heat shield around the exhaust housing that extends up to the bonnet and seal it to the bonnet and cut a hole in the bonnet to allow hot air to escape that way, if done right it should look good.

Originally posted by Duncan

Interesting point re the aero BOOSTMEISTER...I remember reading just recently (can't remember which car this was tho), they actually had an *intake* at the base of the windscreen - apparently something in the airflow around that part of the car makes it suck air *into* the engine bay.

The base of the windscreen is a high pressure area. Check out some old US "muscle" cars and you'll see some neat designs with air intakes, some used a reversed scoop that fed air to the carbs from the base of the windscreen.

Yeah i always wondered why walky's had the inlet at the back of the bonnet scoop. Kool now i know.

A few other cars have it as well before the walky did, and there was a serious amount of time and $$ spent on that bodykit design, its still supposed to be an extremely effective bodykit even compared to the v8 supercars of now.

Originally posted by DoughBoy

The base of the windscreen is a high pressure area. Check out some old US "muscle" cars and you'll see some neat designs with air intakes, some used a reversed scoop that fed air to the carbs from the base of the windscreen.

It's called Cowl Induction.....I'm prety sure the NASCARs still use it