SAU Community

Should I Get Cams?

Just wondering whether it is worth it to get poncam when upgrading a Rb26 (stock internal) to 300 - 330rwkw. Or should I get some cam gear instead?

Will the cams make any noticable differences? Such as bringing the boost on earlier...etc?

I've got the following parts already.

- Nismo fuel pump

- High flow cat + HKS exhaust

- EBC

- 700cc injectors

- Power FC

- Nismo AFM

I still need to get the turbo and dumps + front pipe. Turbo will be either 2860 -7 or -5, I haven't decided on that yet.

Edited by __PhaseShiftDown

Just wondering whether it is worth it to get poncam when upgrading a Rb26 (stock internal) to 300 - 330rwkw. Or should I get some cam gear instead?

Will the cams make any noticable differences? Such as bringing the boost on earlier...etc?

I've got the following parts already.

- Nismo fuel pump

- High flow cat + HKS exhaust

- EBC

- 700cc injectors

- Power FC

- Nismo AFM

I still need to get the turbo and dumps + front pipe. Turbo will be either 2860 -7 or -5, I haven't decided on that yet.

Get adjustable Cam Gears first. If you are going serious with cams then you should do the whole head (upgrade springs etc) to match the cams.

ok, thats inline with what I was able to gather so far from pervious posts in this forum.

which brand of cam gear should I get thats reasonably priced and good quality?

Have a look around and see what you can get, tomei, greddy, jun, HKS

Look at the traders on here, greenline, rhd, hi-octane, raw brokerage. The dollar sucks at the moment unfortunately. I know as I am going through an engine build myself at the moment. There might be a group buy on for them on here too. I would change your timing belt at the same time too, unless it is fairly new.

Have a look around and see what you can get, tomei, greddy, jun, HKS

Look at the traders on here, greenline, rhd, hi-octane, raw brokerage. The dollar sucks at the moment unfortunately. I know as I am going through an engine build myself at the moment. There might be a group buy on for them on here too. I would change your timing belt at the same time too, unless it is fairly new.

Is the flying performance ones any good? I mean they are cheap, any one have any experience with them?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ADJUSTABLE-CAM-GEAR...A1%7C240%3A1318

I've had my timing belt changed just about 3 month ago, so thats taken care of.

Cams work well when setup.

The cam gear are a great bargain mod. The cheap cam gears are not worth the pain of changing the crap adjustment bolts they come with and the potential poorly cut belt teeth some of them have.

I agree with that^. As I said earlier go for a brand name, that will more than likely outlast the other ones and I would have no doubt that the materials used would be better too. Less likely to wear out the teeth or have the bolts seize.

Cams work well when setup.

The cam gear are a great bargain mod. The cheap cam gears are not worth the pain of changing the crap adjustment bolts they come with and the potential poorly cut belt teeth some of them have.

Works well as in what way? More power? More response?

Ok, so I can see a good set of cam gear (Trust Greddy /OS is going to set me back ~$550.

Hks ones can be had for just over $400.

Theres nothing wrong with the cheaper units...I have a set of arospeed gears and theyre just fine, paid 150 from the group buys on here. Alot of people use them.

They have no problem handling constant 8,500 and 360kw.

bloody oath mate... i love cams.. if rove asked me what object could i fall in love with... it would be cams. nothing makes you smile like backing your car out of the garage with a phat set of cams lumping away.. and nothing scares off hsv's like a skyline that sounds like its missing 4 cylinders... that to me is worth the $1000 odd they cost.

cheers

Linton

since Ive redecked out the head, with Tomei 256/256 cams and Tomei 8.8mm springs plus all the rest, Ive been LOVING the engine. As a matter of fact my engine is now too-good for my Slide Highflow, so Im currently looking around for a slightly better (ie 30kw more) turbo.... quite amazing to hear the car in Overdrive top speed0 at 3000rpm; needs more tuning time.

poncams + gears with headwork etc has made me soooo :D in love with me stag :laugh::)

Well every RB26 i know of under 400rwkw has stock cams, these are circuit/rally cars too.

Tried and proven in the testing i guess.

Must be something some people dont know about :laugh:

Im running stock cams too, 280rwkw at the moment, and will be 330rwkw when i get my bum into gear and my response is as good as everyone else's ive seen on here with GT-SS/-9s

Cam gear and be happy. Spend the cam $$ elsewhere, i did.

You can have your stock gear modified for probably $150-$200 to be adjustable, any decent fabricator should be able to do this, that way no issues anywhere and cheaper than the jap stuff.

Also, stay away from HKS 1st Gen gears (most are 2nd gen by now, unless you go 2nd hand), they used to loose material on the gear teeth and the teeth wore down as a result. There have been a few topics/pics on this over the years :D

If you know what you are doing tomei type B's will smack stock cams even on standard turbos.

But, getting them to do so requires time on the dyno and that can cost you, you also need to know your way around cam tuning.

Ultimately the adjustment of stockers is cheap and easy with great gains to be had everywhere. And if thats what your tuner recomends then stick to the plan he is comfortable with.