SAU Community

Looking at getting a Tesla style Screen for my V37 Skyline.

So i was checking these out and im thinking about chucking 2k on a 256gb model for my vehicle.

After watching a video on how it installs the interior seems identical to that of the Q60 so i cant see an issue.

Though i see they actually leave the top screen in the car behind it still attached and working with piggyback cables that run the new tesla style full screen.

In saying that this probley means that the new screen will still have all the Japanese settings and GPS and so on and buying this screen will not correct that small issue at all which is just a small thing that irks me with the car.

Otherwise this fullscreen looks awesome anyone got on and how is it with screen lag as i bought a Kenwood deck a while back from my WRX and i feel like the things is laggy and crap.

though better then what the WRX offered. 

https://squarewheelsauto.com/products/new-aucar-mark6-tesla-style-screen-for-infiniti-q50-q60-mk6?variant=43153281646800

20220526_084346_1024x.jpg

Edited by HYBRID VL
  • Like 1

So I can't speak about this specific unit, I've never used it, but I have put a double din android head unit (ATOTO S8) in the Stagea)

Firstly, this is an awesome solution to the problem where we can't get english head units any more, so I think that probably trumps everything else I'm about to say. A modern car just runs too much through the nav unit to have Japanese only in a 20k+ car.  Also the physical button inclusion is important and excellent in that kit....no comment on the look/style though :whistling:

A couple of things to consider that I learned from my andriod install

* open android head units are absolutely awesome compared to the limited options most brands offer, or compared to carplay/android auto. The ability to install any app you want is excellent, eg I use Realdash a lot in the Stagea

* you almost certainly don't need more than 128GB memory. Check your phone memory usage and exclude pics/videos etc, the apps and their data use stuff all space....saved you $400.

* the reverse camera quality in this kit - looks like it uses the factory cam so you'll get crappy old SD video on a big shiny screen; not sure if they have an HD reverse camera option

* be sure to check the actual 4g (or 5g) bands they support. Australia is a bit strange and most generic head units don't actually support the local frequencies (also keep in mind you will have to bin the head unit when 4g shuts down because it is useless without data access)

* consider the time it takes to load from start, particularly to show the reverse camera. ATOTO make a big fuss about the fact it resumes when you start the car and if you start it and hit reverse straight away the camera is always there.....if you have to wait for a 30 second boot up every time you start the car and reverse it will get old very quickly

* bluetooth phone quality can be an issue. The stagea is a very noisy car but the ATOTO bluetooth was useless....I had to reinstall the separate Parrot phone bluetooth I had removed to get a chance of people hearing me and vice versa

* finally, my ears can't really tell but the audio quality can be terrible in these. I had to add an amp and better speakers to the ATOTO is was quiet and tinny.

Also, the install vid focussed on how quick you can do it.....you should never do an install with the car on because you are likely to be chasing blown fuses afterwards which is really frustrating...turn the car off and disconnect the battery to save yourself grief. Also keep in mind he didn't install any of the antennas or anything which will be required and are likely to need you to pull lots more of the interior apart to put them somewhere you are happy with

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HYBRID VL said:

Im actually thinking all the Map and all that will stay Japanese due to using the same Original NAV unit.

If you are replacing with android, then you will use android nav software, so you will have Australian maps.

In one of the screen shots they show, they explicitly have Waze installed, which is what I use on my phone. However, waze requires an internet connection so itr will need a sim to use waze or share your phones internet connection. Its brilliant to avoid traffic and speed traps.

For my parents, I have installed "HERE We Go" which all9ows you to download maps over WiFI (or shared internet), and then run navigation (australian maps) without an internet connection.

Ok kool i was worried that it used the maps from the OEM sat nav which it piggy backs from awesome sounds like a win win then.

Ive noticed alot of apps lock when i start driving and wont let me load them.

Apparently there is an app loader i can use to bypass that aswell like Youtube and all that but i havent really got into it all yet.