SAU Community

Fuel Pump Requirements

I have a 97 gtst s2 it's pretty stock I have been over a period of time replacing parts i.e. gaskets, radiator, heater core, coupling etc... my question is I am wanting to replace my fuel pump now with something like a Bosch 040 fuel pump. Will I need to replace my injectors or will they support this pump? Also do people recommend this pump or is there something else I should look at before I do this.

I have a 97 gtst s2 it's pretty stock I have been over a period of time replacing parts i.e. gaskets, radiator, heater core, coupling etc... my question is I am wanting to replace my fuel pump now with something like a Bosch 040 fuel pump. Will I need to replace my injectors or will they support this pump? Also do people recommend this pump or is there something else I should look at before I do this.

well what sort of mods are you looking at?

you would at least need it to be dyno tuned to get it running properly

To tell you the truth I haven't really thought about it much all I'm doing at the moment is pretty much replacing parts. I spoke to a guy in Marrickville and mentioned about getting some work done, he said that the best bet is to put a new fuel pump in dyno it then think about doing other things.

A couple of people I have spoken to say to put in a FMIC but I don't really see the point of putting one in whilst having stock turbo so until I am ready to do a upgrade I'd prefer to wait.

As for mods like I said I don't really have any, I've just mainly been replacing parts:

parts that I have replaced so far:

suspension (front/rear)

viscous coupling

radiator

timing belt

engine belts

gaskets

heater core

thermostat

(kept all up-to-date servicing)

mods:

turbo timer

exhaust

aftermarket radiator

Eventually I will want to do a turbo upgrade (no idea what one/type) until then I am just wanting to get it performing nicely (I know I am and maybe already have replaced parts I did not need to, but call me paranoid but I just like knowing that such and such is a new part and is working correctly).

To tell you the truth I haven't really thought about it much all I'm doing at the moment is pretty much replacing parts. I spoke to a guy in Marrickville and mentioned about getting some work done, he said that the best bet is to put a new fuel pump in dyno it then think about doing other things.

A couple of people I have spoken to say to put in a FMIC but I don't really see the point of putting one in whilst having stock turbo so until I am ready to do a upgrade I'd prefer to wait.

As for mods like I said I don't really have any, I've just mainly been replacing parts:

parts that I have replaced so far:

suspension (front/rear)

viscous coupling

radiator

timing belt

engine belts

gaskets

heater core

thermostat

(kept all up-to-date servicing)

mods:

turbo timer

exhaust

aftermarket radiator

Eventually I will want to do a turbo upgrade (no idea what one/type) until then I am just wanting to get it performing nicely (I know I am and maybe already have replaced parts I did not need to, but call me paranoid but I just like knowing that such and such is a new part and is working correctly).

well seriously

the thing is....if your replacing a top of the line fuel pump for eg..and not getting the mods.....then its kinda pointless...

but i think you should replace a simillar kind of pump whilst getting a dyno tune.

but

there some workshops may want the work u know...

i think the second mob you mentioned, says its pointless getting a high end pump...

if you really need to replace it....then id say replace the pump with a tune up.

mods can always come later on

well seriously

the thing is....if your replacing a top of the line fuel pump for eg..and not getting the mods.....then its kinda pointless...

but i think you should replace a simillar kind of pump whilst getting a dyno tune.

but

there some workshops may want the work u know...

i think the second mob you mentioned, says its pointless getting a high end pump...

if you really need to replace it....then id say replace the pump with a tune up.

mods can always come later on

I'm not saying I'm not getting mods I just ment that until I go through and get the engine and the rest of my car up to a good running condition I'm not going to do anything extra.

So as a starting point I figure once I have got this done why not start by getting a fuel pump in a dyno the car, and if that the correct starting point will the fuel pump mentioned be supported by stock injectors or will they need replacing at the same time?

If replacing the fuel pump and putting the car on the dyno isn't the correct starting point, then what is? What I ment about not getting a FMIC is because the car has a stock turbo I may as well until I do a turbo upgrade keep the stock intercooler and then do the whole upgrade i.e. turbo, intercooler etc...

So am I right in thinking this is a good starting point or not?

Thanks,

I'm not saying I'm not getting mods I just ment that until I go through and get the engine and the rest of my car up to a good running condition I'm not going to do anything extra.

So as a starting point I figure once I have got this done why not start by getting a fuel pump in a dyno the car, and if that the correct starting point will the fuel pump mentioned be supported by stock injectors or will they need replacing at the same time?

If replacing the fuel pump and putting the car on the dyno isn't the correct starting point, then what is? What I ment about not getting a FMIC is because the car has a stock turbo I may as well until I do a turbo upgrade keep the stock intercooler and then do the whole upgrade i.e. turbo, intercooler etc...

So am I right in thinking this is a good starting point or not?

Thanks,

yes, replace the Fuel pump

get it tuned at the workshop by dyno...first

the ecu may need tuning as well

my question is I am wanting to replace my fuel pump now with something like a Bosch 040 fuel pump. Will I need to replace my injectors or will they support this pump?

So is anyone able to answer my actual initial question?

So is anyone able to answer my actual initial question?

As long as the FPR can flow the extra fuel back to the tank it will be fine. Measure pressure at fuel rail before and after, should be around 43psi.

If it can keep pressure at 43 psi at idle you will be OK.

As long as the FPR can flow the extra fuel back to the tank it will be fine. Measure pressure at fuel rail before and after, should be around 43psi.

If it can keep pressure at 43 psi at idle you will be OK.

great thanks mate.

edit:

damit why didn't that reply to your post - looks like i'm answering myself :P

Edited by Nimmo