SAU Community

About Some Road Rules

ollien

Hi guys, I'm going to do the driving test this Thursday, but I'm still very confused with some road rules. Can you guys help me out? Thanks in advance. Please have a look the attached picture for the questions.

Q1: I'm driving in a single-lane road (one lane on each side of the road), which has a bicycle lane on my left. Do I must change lane into the bicycle lane before turning left? ps. the bicycle lane is wide enough for driving and cars can also be parked there. how about if it's a parking lane?

Q2: I'm driving in a single-lane road. Suddendly, the road ahead is divided into two lanes, do I have to signal before enter either of them? If so, how?

Q3:I'm driving in a two-lane road (two lanes on the side of the road I'm driving in). Suddendly, the lane marking lines disappear(merging into one lane), do I have to signal before proceeding? If so, how?

Q4: I'm turning right from road A, which has only one right turn lane, into road B, which has three lanes on my side. Am I allowed turn into either of the three lanes, or only the right lane?

Thanks in advance,

Ollien

post-60107-1234854322_thumb.jpg

Edited by ollien

Q1 - No you dont hav to indicate for either

Q2 - Yes you should indicate left and go in the left lane.

Q3 - Yes you have to indicate, if the lane ends to the right then if you are in the left lane you have to indicate right and vice versa.

Q4 - Yes you can go in any lane you want, but if you dont need to be in any particular lane then stay in the left one.

Q1 - No you dont hav to indicate for either

Q2 - Yes you should indicate left and go in the left lane.

Q3 - Yes you have to indicate, if the lane ends to the right then if you are in the left lane you have to indicate right and vice versa.

Q4 - Yes you can go in any lane you want, but if you dont need to be in any particular lane then stay in the left one.

Thanks and3_3. But my first question is about lane change. I wonder if I must change lane (bicycle/parking lane) before turning.

by the looks of the other traffic in the pic, you need to move left (indicate) when safe and turn. as for q4 i think you need to go directly into the right lane then indicate left across to the lane you need to get into.

Edited by Pal

I'll start by saying I completely disagree with the first poster who answered questions, so I'm going to re-answer.

EDIT: just saw your image attachment, nice :ermm:

Q1: I'm driving in a single-lane road (one lane on each side of the road), which has a bicycle lane on my left. Do I must change lane into the bicycle lane before turning left? ps. the bicycle lane is wide enough for driving and cars can also be parked there. how about if it's a parking lane?

Parking lane? The car parking spots will end before the intersection allowing you to move to the left.

Yes, there is a break in the bicycle line before the intersection where you move in before you turn left.

On the parking lane picture, there is a line showing where the parking lane ends, you follow the curve when turning.

On the bicycle lane example, there is a break from where you can start pulling to the left (30m probably) to perform your left turn, in your picture example there is a car already doing this).

You certainly don't stay where you are and then suddenly turn left across the bicycle lane, you might kill a cyclist :)

Q2: I'm driving in a single-lane road. Suddendly, the road ahead is divided into two lanes, do I have to signal before enter either of them? If so, how?

No, you merge into your chosen lane, my driving instructor taught me this, I got told off for indicating, what are you indicating? Your not changing lanes unless you wait until the divided lines appear next to you, if you do then you indicate as per normal.

Q3:I'm driving in a two-lane road (two lanes on the side of the road I'm driving in). Suddendly, the lane marking lines disappear(merging into one lane), do I have to signal before proceeding? If so, how?

Merging does not strictly require indication, it is sometimes done for courtesy.

I'd say no.

Q4: I'm turning right from road A, which has only one right turn lane, into road B, which has three lanes on my side. Am I allowed turn into either of the three lanes, or only the right lane?

Since you are the only right turning lane, you have a choice of the lanes on the road you are turning into.

Good luck

Oh, got my license 6 years ago for the comparison ;)

from memory for Q1. you cannot change lanes into the parking /bike lane unless it has broken lines. the broken lines will appear before a street for you to indicate and merge into for you to turn. You can even see where the solid line ends and broken begins just before the turn in your pic. broken lines means you treat it as another lane so you must indicate regardless. I remember my instructor throwing this one at me and catching me out.

He said to always take notice of the lines on the roads whether theyre solid or broken to give you an indication as to what you should do. Same goes with when your driving out of a street with a service lane onto a big usually multi-lane road. You will notice a stop sign when you approach the service lane, then a pair of dashed lines after to get onto the multi lane road. treat the dashed lines as give way signs and slow down and be cautious even if there is no traffic. Same applies when your turning off the main road into a street with a service lane. He caught me out on this one too. Never encountered these situations in the actual driving test but its good to know.

Many thanks for the kind replies.

So far, I feel it's clear for Q1 & Q4 as most of you agree to each other. But obviously there exist different opinions about Q2&Q3 regarding signal when merging/diverging. I probably need more suggestions to draw a final conclusion and practise it in my driving test.

Thanks again.

Ollien

Q1. As others have said.. with the broken lines you can merge into bicycle/parking.. however you need to indicate..

Q2. When the lane splits into two lanes straight in the middle of your lane (as indicated.. you are not required to indicate but i also would stay left as there are usually signs marked (in qld anyways) "keep left unless overtaking".. hence why unless you are turning in that lane i would keep left

Q3. Again as said, you are not required to indicate unless you are merging into their lane.. ie your lane is closing... however as your lanes are merging together it is not necessary to indicate

Q4. Either lan is ok, as there is no 'guided dash lines' as you can see in other lanes turning.. so you have your choice of lanes unless you are required to follow the path given..