SAU Community

M-m-m-m-m-motorkhana!

scandyflick

^^ If your handbrake isnt locking up properly look at my thread in the suspension and braking section. I had the same problem and needed to adjust it and now it works awesome.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there any regs the car needs to meet boys?

ie, stripped interior?ok? not ok?

does it need to be registred?

basically run what you bring....

the cars go through a very basic safety check:

Battery secure

wheels attached to car

steering wheel effects direction of front wheels

seatbelts not trashed

seat attached to car

spring on throttle body - any modern car will have this as standard

brake pedal doesnt hit the floor

- its all very simple stuff, I have never seen a car not pass - or atleast no be able to make passable with a bit of fencing wire and a cable tie if neccesary.

Other than that just remove any excess crap out your car - a couple CD in the glove box is fine, a trolley jack in the boot/back seat is not :)

If you get serious and do the state/national champs - or start winning rounds - then they will start getting a bit more strict with the following:

Normal (road) cars go in to classes based on wheel base - mini's etc generally class = A, small hatch backs = B, mid size (200sx etc) = C, large (skyline falcon etc) = D. To get in to these class however your car must still have its original 'silouette' - you can not remove bumpers etc to effectively make your car smaller and easier to get through the gates. You also can not 'significantly' lighten the car, I can remember the exact amount but its something like 85% of the original weight. I think you also have to have 2 front seats, the passanger one can just be the top half of a school chair - there are no regulations as to exactly what a seat is.

If they deem your car to be too modified (totally stripped, light weight panels, etc) then you will be put in to a modified class. There are also classes for supers specials (minimum wheel base and rim dia also apply - so no you can not use a go-cart), and 4wd.

So if your coming down to give it a go, as long as your car is 'safe' they will let you run.

I would love to come up for a look one day, dont know If I could pull together enough guts to enter it though!

The cars in the videos look awesome! great job!

seriously just give it a go. we do not expect you to link the track on your first weekend - it is perfectly acceptible to just drive around like it was a shopping center car park (no breaking traction etc). It is designed to be a introduction to motorsport, we have 14 year olds that have never driven a car before entering as there is no where else they can legally drive - and after a couple rounds they actually have far better car control than your avarage P plater 'thinks' they have!

Learning to drive a car properly is a bit like learning to swim, the sooner you learn it the better off you will be, you won't have to spend the rest of your life worring about it - and chances are it will save your life - or someone elses - at some stage.

Here are some more video's to wet your appetite:

Edited by samstain

The first 3 laps i did i got completely wrong. Had a laugh and went back to learning the next one.

Hoping i can get out to the next one as its a great learning experience and so much fun.

Any idea what the dates are of the next ones?

Luke

mt alma is well and truly sold out for this year - i entered a couple weeks ago and im still only on the waiting list - so I may not get in...

Its also a very fast track, so probably not the best thing to be entering unless you have done a fair few track events and hill climbs before. its a 1/4 mile drag to the first corner so im still having second thoughts about entering the puma - is has 230rwkw and weights 780kg, so it basically like someone chucking a fairly sharp left hander at the end of a quater mile drag strip and telling you to go for it - with cold tyres and brakes.

Edited by samstain

mt alma is well and truly sold out for this year - i entered a couple weeks ago and im still only on the waiting list - so I may not get in...

Its also a very fast track, so probably not the best thing to be entering unless you have done a fair few track events and hill climbs before. its a 1/4 mile drag to the first corner so im still having second thoughts about entering the puma - is has 230rwkw and weights 780kg, so it basically like someone chucking a fairly sharp left hander at the end of a quater mile drag strip and telling you to go for it - with cold tyres and brakes.

That'd be right.... says only 100 up so far.. but oh well.

I stole my mums keys and moved the car out of the driveway and put it back once.... Does that count?

Guys,

Did anyone get any video footage of the Black GTIR that was out there?

It was my girlfriends first time out, and unfortunatley the car was written off on Thursday "not her fault", so i would like to find any video of the car that we can keep as a memento.

Cheers

Shane