SAU Community

Sqeaky Clutch/clutch Pedal?

WYTSKY

Hey guys,

This is my first time browsing through this part of the forum. (but I did search my problem with not many results)

for about 6 months now my clutch pedal has had a slight sqeak, only occasionally and not very loud at all, so I'm not really that worried about that.

however, a few months ago my exedy cushion button clutch(or atleast I think it is the clutch) began squeaking whenever I am not in gear or my foot is not pushing/resting on the clutch pedal a little. Its Absolutly fine apart from that. I put my head down there and when I push the pedal in a cm or so, the sqealing stops, but the sound is defintetly coming from outside the cabin and is a fast sqeaky sound.

I don't drop the clutch or do silly things and so far the clutch has never slipt.

Just one thing to note: the car started out as a non turbo and now has ~230rwkw so perhaps some of the original factory components cant take the extra power?

Its really starting to annoy me now so please help! I also can make a recording and post it up if you guys want to hear.

Thanks heaps,

Adam

The noise that goes away when you put your foot oin the clutch sounds like your clutch release bearing, it is a box out job to fix

the squeek from the pedal itself could be a cracked pedal box or where the return spring fits into the pedal box there is a white plastic insert that cracks it isnt a major problem wouldnt be much fun to fix but you would have to pull the pedal box and then source the little plastic insert there are 2 of them and each end of the spring goes through holes in the pedal box the inserts go in the holes inbetween the spring and the holes in the box

Thanks for the info.

Am really disappointed I have to take out my whole gearbox just to fix the clutch sound... as said the clutch pedal isnt as bigger deal, but handy to know...

How hard is it to remove the whole gearbox and do the bearing and the price of parts?

Thanks heaps.

Adam

Soo its not as hard as I think to take out a gbox then ??

Nah mate. Me and PaYbAcK dropped a 32Gts-t and a 32Gts-4 (slightly harder - AWD) box and changed the clutches in 4 hours.

Disconnect the shifter, drop the tailshaft, drop the slave, undo the bell housing bolts, undo crossmember bolts, and hey presto - a gearbox.

Recommend a mate, 4 axle stands, and a decent trolley jack.

Or put up with it as much as you can, then get it fixed by a gearbox/clutch mechanic and get your flywheel/clutch/bolts upgraded at the same time as the labour cost wont be much more than just fixing the squeek.

Removing and replacing a gearbox isnt that hard if you have some mechanical background but if your not sure what your doing find some one to help you who does cause the last thing you want to do is f**k it up and turn a couple of hour job into something more expensive.

Not saying a newbie couldnt pull it off just saying it helps to have some one there who can help you dodge the pitfalls

Then also weigh up the cost of what if you round a bolt, break a part or a tool and cant get it back together, how much mucking around you will have to do towing it to your mechanic or getting a lift to work etc for a couple of days.

Or drop it off at your mechanic in the morning, pick it up at lunchtime and pay a few hundred knowing as you drive out that its all done and your hands didnt even get dirty.

it could also be the thrust bearing but then again that would've been changed when you put the clutch in.

my car has the sqeeky clutch pedal too, slightly annoying so just always have ur music up a bit louder lol

Before you take the g/box out check that the clutch fork pivot ball is not dry (lacking grease) Mine was and felt rough and was squeaking. I removed the fork dust cover and managed to grease the pivot ball with a small grease gun that has a long thin probe. That was two years ago and it still fine