SAU Community

Clutch Question Concerning A Brand New One...

Hi all,

I am getting a brand new Nismo Super Copper mix clutch installed in my R34 GT-R and wanted to ask you guys if these clutches need to get 'bedded' in before driving... hard? :(

If so, usually how many KM's? I ask this because I am getting my car back on Friday and will be doing a dyno tune on Saturday so I am now wondering if this will affect the dyno process??? Ie - cant push the car on the dyno because clutch isnt bedded in??? :)

Cheers for any info guys,

Edited by xanavinismo

1000km?

isnt it usually 500?

And it will affect the dyno as you arent allowed to boost it or drive it hard.

And thats what ur doing on a dyno ! :P

So what happens if you dont bed in a new clutch?

lol... love the keyboard mechanics :P

Bedding in a clutch is pretty simple.. its all about getting the interface between the clutch material and the flywheel optimal, ie uniform across the entire surface.

The best way to achieve this is to follow the clutch manufacturer's directions. Alternatively, if none are supplied, drive it normally for ~300-500km without excesively slipping the clutch. Until its bedded in, you've got a greater chance of creating 'hotspots' on the flywheel with excessive slip, which leads to non-uniform grip on the flywheel, which can be the difference between a clutch that works well, and one that slips prematurely.

Essentially, don't launch it.

Also, note that your flywheel may need to be machined differently (different finish) for a button clutch than for an organic OEM style clutch. Pay attention to the clutch manufacturers directions.

Running your car on a dyno before bedding in the clutch is fine, stick it in 4th, (or whatever gear you are doing your run in), and away you go... on a dyno, you don't launch it like you do on the road, so there should be practically no slipping of the clutch required.

lol... love the keyboard mechanics :P

Bedding in a clutch is pretty simple.. its all about getting the interface between the clutch material and the flywheel optimal, ie uniform across the entire surface.

The best way to achieve this is to follow the clutch manufacturer's directions. Alternatively, if none are supplied, drive it normally for ~300-500km without excesively slipping the clutch. Until its bedded in, you've got a greater chance of creating 'hotspots' on the flywheel with excessive slip, which leads to non-uniform grip on the flywheel, which can be the difference between a clutch that works well, and one that slips prematurely.

Essentially, don't launch it.

Also, note that your flywheel may need to be machined differently (different finish) for a button clutch than for an organic OEM style clutch. Pay attention to the clutch manufacturers directions.

Running your car on a dyno before bedding in the clutch is fine, stick it in 4th, (or whatever gear you are doing your run in), and away you go... on a dyno, you don't launch it like you do on the road, so there should be practically no slipping of the clutch required.

i was saying 1000kms of no launching and driving it easy because thats what i was told to do when i got my brass button clutch installed

Edited by Turbo 33