SAU Community

Engine Wont Crank Over

mitchy_

i disconnected my battery today to reset the ecu, then after re-connecting it, i seem to have power to everything, but the starter motor isn't doing anything, not even a click from the solenoid.

there is 12V going to the starter motor, and i even swapped it for another RB25 starter motor with no luck.

i have a feeling its the smaller wire that attaches to the blade terminal that is giving me problems...

what does this wire connect to at the other end? i chucked a multimeter on it, and i assumed it was an earth but i got no reading for it whilst trying to start the car...

this is an RB25 in a HR31 if it matters too..

get someone to tap the starter with a hammer as you turn the key (read here: TAP the starter motor, not slam the FK out of it), if it suddenly starts turning over and starts, you have a dicky solenoid in your starter motor, time to go and get a new one.

I had similar in my previous car, ended up having to rig an under the bonnet trigger wire for the starter so I could start the car when I was on my own (until I could source a starter motor and have it rebuilt).

B.

tighten and recheck your battery terminals, after that it could possibly be a voltage drop and it may need a starter relay.

was the car automatic before ? if so check the bypass wiring on the inhibitor switch