SAU Community

Gear oil with differential gear oil?

steven

First, nice to meet u guys in this club. I've a question about changing the gear oil and differential gear oil? My car is Auto R33 GTST, and i think it is time to change the gear box oil. So i wonder what is the differs between the gear oil and differential gear oil, and which brand oil is good? please advice!

I've heard some people said for all the GTST has got LSD function on it. Is that correct? If it is correct, then how can i know my car has got LSD function?

Cheers:)

Differential oil is normally thicker.... e.g. the stuff I use is Fully Synthetic diff oil 80w(thereabouts maybe 90w?)-140 LSD diff oil GL5

Manual g/box oil is normally 80w-90..... But for you, you need a specific auto tranny oil - not the stuff thats used in manual g/box's

Sumo

You must use Auto Trans fluid on your gearbox. Not a gear oil. Just get a coupla Castrol Dexron III ATF bottles and use that! Make sure to flush it a few times as you only get about 1/3rd of the fluid out everytime you drain it.

For the diff, any GL5 rated oil would be fine. 75W-90 is ideal.

Cheers mate. But i cound't find any full Synthetic diff oil in N.Z. ! But i did find the Castrol Dexron III ATF oil, but they're not a Synthetic oil, right? Beside how many liters do i need to fill it up! Thanks

Cheers steven

No, you dont need synthetic in your auto box i assume, otherwise they would make it. ATF is what you need.

As for diff, you can use a 75w-90 mineral based oil, and it should be fine.

Yes mate, they do have the ATF synthetic oil as below the web-site.

http://www.hkskylineclub.com/index1.htm

But i just can't find that kind of the ATF oil in N.Z. Anyway i think i would go for the normal ATF gear oil first. By the way, so if i take my car to the garage to change the gear box oil, and diff oil. Do i need to say to them? I mean is normal when change the gear oil, will they also change the diff oil?

Cheers mate!!