SAU Community

The Law Caught Up With Him!

RubyRS4

My apolgies to the mods if this doesn't deserve its own thread, but I felt it did. Story with a happy ending ...

I got ripped off some 10 months ago by a guy in QLD by the name of Darryn Irvine. Apparently he is well known in QLD for being dodgy. He ripped me off a set of Ohlins shocks for my Stagea to the tune of $1405, and stopped all communication as soon as he had my money. Too far for even me to travel and track him down, so I lodged a complaint with the QLD Fraud Squad. My cousin is a QLD cop anyway, so having someone "on the inside" helped. Well Darryn Irvine, aka Darren Vine, aka Aaron Vine, aka Aaron Irvine, called me today and informed me the QLD police caught up with him and he is facing Court for multiple counts of fraud. Looks like he might be facing jail time.

He explained how things went wrong for him (not that I care or believed it much, he could have called earlier) with some business disaster story, and he wants to settle things and give me my money back. Well I'm not much of a sympathiser when it comes to crims ... I would just like that money back tho.

I am aware that there were 1 or 2 others here last year who contacted me advising me they were ripped off by this guy who went by the ebay name Japdriftking_08 and used the email [email protected]. I hope you have been contacted by this guy also and he is resolving to fix the debt. If he has not contacted you, PM me and I will forward to you the 'fresh' contact number I have from him now. Naturally, I'd need to be certain he does have a debt with you before I hand over the new number ... I don't want to get on the wrong side of the QLD fraud squad by freely giving out his details for harassment.

Be good to get that $1405 back. I've long since written it off, so its a bonus now for me. Once this has been received, I will contact the QLD police fraud squad and inform them that Darryn had squared things with me. My cousin says he'll still be charged with fraud, but any attempt to repair the damage can only benefit him for a lesser penalty.

$ :wub:

Edited by RubyRS4

thats a good news story for sure

weird thing is - paying you back won't prevent him from getting charged with fraud will it?

so I wonder why he has decided to pay you back?

why does he have a conscience all of a sudden?

Was very much a surprise call. Walked into my office after grabbing my lunch and my mobile was ringing.

"Hi, Reuben? This is the guy you bought suspension off ebay a while ago. Do you remember me?"

"Ah Darryn. How could I forget $1400. Catch up with you did they?" :wub:

God knows, the money would be handy right about now.

thats a good news story for sure

weird thing is - paying you back won't prevent him from getting charged with fraud will it?

so I wonder why he has decided to pay you back?

why does he have a conscience all of a sudden?

His solicitor says it'd work towards a lesser charge. He's guilty pretty much. He can't deny that. I handed over some solid proof in my submission with QLD police, I'm sure the others added more weight too to the case against him. He'll be prosecuted for sure, now its just a matter of how bad.

Edited by RubyRS4

Good one

did you pay via paypal or direct debit

just wondering if buyer protection would of worked in this instance

Paid via direct debit, but I spoke with the guy endlessly via mobile and email leading up to the payment. Seemed legit at the time, and in any case I had enough info to chase him up if he didn't ship ... which he didn't.

I don't trust any of those 'buyer protection' schemes, as I've heard endless horror stories about them all. Figured, do my own homework and get all the details myself. Then if in doubt, I have info to fall back on. In this case, it worked out and police tracked him down. :wub:

Hopefully for you he keeps his word and you get your money back. Nice to see some justice anyhow

Time will tell. Reckons he's transferring payment today. I reckon it should be in my account tomorrow or next day. If nothing is received by Thursday, I'll contact his solicitor and QLD police and advise no payment received.

Edited by RubyRS4

Tell ya what, if the money does hit my account this week, I'll be getting the Brutale back on the road for a stint.

God I miss riding! ... and its only been 3 weeks!!!

good to hear! shame you had to take such measures for him to finally give the money back but i guess he will learn a valuable lesson, and you have saved others getting ripped off by him in the future (we hope)

Yeah, I think when it comes to something at that level of ripping off, I sleep better at night knowing they won't do it again (... in a hurry anyway). Too many people think its all too hard to chase someone over money or goods. But for me its the principle. People like that shouldn't be allowed to think they can get away with it.

I could have just chased him down and persuaded him to refund my money, but he'd prob just get better at hiding and conning rather than stop. This way he knows he's not untouchable, and now he's got a criminal record for it.

Fantastic news Reuben! I'am sure we've all been ripped off at one time or another, good to see one of the pricks get caught.

Ryan

I didn't expect any result from my complaint with the QLD Police, but it pays to give it a go anyway.

Ever been ripped off and think "there's no point" then think again. Cons and scammers only exist because no one trys to stop them.

Prob a good thing for you too Ryan ... I might never have gotten the N1 coilovers off you :sick:

i wont ever trust the buyer potection either Ruby,

when i first got the 34 i got a body kit from a place called supernautics saying they could get the Veilside kit i had always had my on, but i had to pay all of it up front (nearly 2000), i didnt want to but they seemed legit, i paid it all via paypal, and when my kit hadnt arrived in the time frame they specified (6-8 weeks) i called them, nothing, emailed them, nothing. i could not get in contact with them at all. then i got an email saying that my kit had been shipped off thru a company called sadliers, they said id get in within a week. i got nothing, so i made phone calls to this sadliers frieght company, both here in sa and interstate, they knew nothing of the business name at all.

then i got in contact with paypal told them my sitiuation and that i wanted my money back, but it had gone over the "buyer protection" time of 4 weeks i think it was, and they said never to get anything that would take 4 weeks to get...........yeah tell me now :sick: ........but i ended up going thru my bank and they got my money back within a week.......f***ing legends lol :laugh:

sorry to hijack ur thread ruby..............i just know what it feels like to be ripped off with money,,,,,,,,,karma is fantastic :sick:

Wouldn't exactly call it hijacking Cara, you're still on topic :sick:

Yeah I hate the time limits they put on "protection" ... pretty lame. You either want to protect fair trading or not, there is no in between.

Edited by RubyRS4

how you get your money back from the bank?

If there is enough info from the transaction, the bank can recover the sum for a small fee ($30 or something). Not entirely sure as I've never had to do it, but the banks can do it with enough info.

If there is enough info from the transaction, the bank can recover the sum for a small fee ($30 or something). Not entirely sure as I've never had to do it, but the banks can do it with enough info.

yeah i purchased a $4.95 trial membership on a file trading website... only problem was, once the cc details had billed, i didn't get any email correspondence. I checked the username password on the website and logged in, only to discover I'd been duped into some russian bit torrent site. Fair enough I thought, $5 isnt that much to lose.. I just sent in an email requesting termination of the account (which is enough in any legal system). Again, no reply.

Then 2 weeks later, I get 2x $65 billed to my CC. I was spitting chips. Went to the bank and they tore up my CC and reissued with a new number and then referred it off to Visa. I've gotten the $15 back for the interest I was charged but no word yet on the $130 (it takes several weeks from what I've been told)... hoping it comes thru ok, these dodgy websites really shit me. It was a total conjob (aka you register for www.filesharing.com, log into the website and it directs you to www.platinumxxx.com.ru or something equally as dodgy)

-D

EDIT - Speak of the devil - just got a letter from the bank stating that the cash has been xferred, checked the account and sure enough its sitting in there... If I didn't have such a bad case of pharyngitis I'd be buyin a beer to celebrate haha. Ohwell. Just gonna have to get a full tank of 98RON instead ;0

Edited by Dohmar