bob san

HOWTO: How to respray the boot of your car

Intended Audience: anyone who wants to respray their boot

Technical Level: Low

Duration: About half a day

Effort: Small to Medium

Result: High

!!!Caution/Achtung/Attenzione!!!

Follow this guide at your own risk. You have been warned. We are not responsible for any actions you take. The information contained herein is a guide and should be acted upon with consultation from your local tuner. If you are unsure or are not confident don't do it.

After picking up my car i found the boot area had rust due to previously having water in it. there were lots of little rust spots here and there. i decided to respray the boot myself as i did not wat to pay the panel beater $500-$600 to do something i could do in half a day for less then $25. it may not look as good but it gets the job done.

Tools:

3 cans of spray paint

1 bottle of rust primer and coverter (about $12 from autobahn.)

Masking tape

newspaper

sand paper

1/ Take out all the stuff u don't need in your boot. (jacks, spare tyre etc.)

2/ sand away the rust spots. make sure the surface is nice and smooth when ur done. this may take a few tries.

3/ vaccum/wipe away the rust bits/flakes.

4/ mask off the areas u don't wanna paint/spray with newspaper and masking tape.

4/ apply the rust primer/coverter on the surface of the rust areas. wait for the first coat to dry (30mins) then apply the second coat (takes a few hours to dry completely). your boot will turn a bluish green colour. don't worry this is the chemical reaction between the rust and the primer.

5/ spray the boot with the spray paint. i used about 1 and a half bottles for the first coat. wait a few hours for the first coat to dry then apply the second coat. in total i did three coats.

6/ after the paint is all dry take off the news paper and enjoy ur new rust free boot.

hope this tutorial helps.

post-50952-1239111150_thumb.jpg

post-50952-1239111188_thumb.jpg

post-50952-1239111222_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Haha.. im doing mine now... going to take longer then half a day but...

I went to the paint shop and got a matched colour yesterday arve...

Got a flapper disc and deodorized fish oil from supercheap..

Started by removing all the sound deadener in the tire well, then got to it with the flapper disc... taking it back to bare metal in most places...

Finished sanding back this morning... lucky i got to it early before the rust set in... starting to get a bit bad in a few places...

sprayed with fish oil and done a 2 coats of colour...

But the fish oil had puddled in a bit and i didn't notice, so i have a bit about the size of a $10 note with no paint on it.. lol...

Paint shop wasn't open today so i'll finish it off on Tuesday and give it a coat of clear on Wednesday...

I know i went overboard (removed everything from the boot including the tail lights) but i reckon it'll look tops matching the out side perfectly...

• 3 weeks later...