SAU Community

O2 Sensor HELP

phorj

I have an O2 Sensor from a RB30, and there are 3 wires... here is the problem :

What are the wires for?

1x Yellow Wire

1x Black Wire

1x Red Wire

Black and red and not power wires are they... this is standard + / - stuff, but I wouldn't think that the sensor would require external power?

Is the Yellow wire the signal wire, and the other 2 heater wires?

What is the Yellow Wire for... any help would be V. handy !

Thanks guys... I await speedy reply's

1) Get a multi meter

2) When you cross 2 of the wires you should get a reading of 10ohm or less... these are the heater wires

3) When you cross the 3rd wire with anything else... it should read 'open circuit'... this 3rd wire is the signal / sensor wire !

just F.Y.I ... Thanks Bozz !

red is power for the internal heater

black is ground (other end of heater)

yellow is interesting. aftermarket? the ones i've seen are white but would be the actual probe which returns 0-1v depending how much exhaust gas is passing past.

note that O2 sensors are matched to different ECUs and the stoich curves may be different (ie an RB30 O2 may have a more narrow curve than the RB25 ECU is programmed for)

I have the ca18det and the plug goes. black white red (left to right) on the other side of the plug the black goes to a blue, white to grey and the red goes to a grey with a white trace.

So what im trying to figure out is which one is the signal. the instructions say that its not polairty dependant for the heater wires. the replacement has 2 black and 1 blue. (universal 3 wire)

If you want to know the difference between the different types of O2 sensors, try this link: (about half way down the page)

http://www.ngkspark.com.au/tech_info_oxyge...nsors_index.htm

Also, the current NGK Spark plug & O2 sensor catalogue has detailed information on these including pics of the different plugs - great for matching up an alternative to that expensive OE Nissan sensor!

Originally posted by phorj

1) Get a multi meter

2) When you cross 2 of the wires you should get a reading of 10ohm or less... these are the heater wires

3) When you cross the 3rd wire with anything else... it should read 'open circuit'... this 3rd wire is the signal / sensor wire !

just F.Y.I ... Thanks Bozz !

Should'a just called me to begin with :rofl:

BTW can I borrow your car for a few hours one of these days, need to swap bits to find a fault...

:(

when were you thinking... can be for about a fortnight as I'm help Katie move this weekend (didn't get all the crap last weekend)... the I work the weekend after!

Maybe Sunday 26th... that's prob the earliest I can do for you ?