SAU Community

G4 Spring Rates

Im looking at getting G4 coilovers, im just not sure what spring rates i should get. the car is used for both drift and on the street so nothing too stiff but still good for drift. anyone know what i should get? id prefer rates that will suit QR track, cheers.

Hi Matt,

If you mean the blue G4's/D2 $1400 or whatever i don't think many ppl here will reccommend them as there not great IMO. I had a set on my 180 and was not impressed - on the street very stiff and bumpy f6.2 and r5.2 were the supposed rates -never went to the track. I tried adjusting the damping but it didnt seem to help much but im no expert and these were my first ever coilovers.

They were so stiff when jacking the car up instead of just the wheel i wanted off the ground i got a couple!.

My reading on SAU points to only the higher end coilovers being worht it ($$$). I will most likely stick to a shock and spring set up in my current daily 33.

Just my 2cents - im sure the supension experts on here will point you in the right direction:)

cheers Rich

Howdy,

I was looking at coilovers for my R33. Its daily driven, but goes to the track lots with my semi slicks. I ended up getting the whiteline/bilstein combo of springs/shocks. I think my springs are around 5kg front and rear. Ride is firm but not stiff, yet awesome ride on the track. No idea how people drive around with spring rates of 10-12 kg, YIKES!!!

I didnt have over 2K to spend on good coilovers, so settled for these and am VERY happy indeed. I have raced it 4 times with this suspension, its perfect, can drive it home, then get the groceries the next day and it rides all bumps perfectly.

There is another link here with lots of Coilovers info:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Re...St-t266632.html

lots of good reading here mate.

I used to have 10 front 8.5 rear and a driving instructor told me the rear was too stiff for Eastern Creek. I now have 8.2 front and 6.4 rear, which was a fellow SAUers Oran Park spec. They're about right for me, but i like stiff suspension. Agree that 10-12 is nuts....

Stay away from G4, D2 and K Sport they are all the same shit and total garbage. You are better off saving your money longer and getting a better brand like TEIN or GReddy or saving your money period and getting lowered springs and sway bars.

Do you have any proof to back that up??

I have a 480Kw GTR with D2's thats gone around wakefield in a 1:04:88 south circuit in a 48:00 and GP in a 1:16:02.

I've done loads of actual back to back testing and the D2's actually perform pretty well. The valving leaves a little to be desired but with a heap of range they can be set-up pretty well.

In the GTR with semi slicks at oran park we'll run a 8.6/6.2 and with slicks a 10.2/8.6

Saying that dont use the supplied springs, buy a good quality set of Eibach springs and you'll be happy.

For the money they work really well and id recommend them.

If you have the coin then you cant go past DMS dampners or the good ohlins gear.

Do you have any proof to back that up??

I have a 480Kw GTR with D2's thats gone around wakefield in a 1:04:88 south circuit in a 48:00 and GP in a 1:16:02.

I've done loads of actual back to back testing and the D2's actually perform pretty well. The valving leaves a little to be desired but with a heap of range they can be set-up pretty well.

Risking - any comment on durability with the D2s, or is the jury still out on that?

PS - i'm loving your old Teins..

All valid points. Ive been reading more and more threads links included, regarding the G4 and ppl saying to stay away from them. My car has coilovers atm, teins in the rear and jic in the front. I believe the front teins were taxed when imported into Australia. Having the coilovers i know how important they are with the little track work that ive done. I need something that will work straight up, little adjustment to get them working right and a good wheel alignment.

I dont mind spending the extra money if its going to help down the track. So im looking more towards tein super drift or greddy type-s coilovers. But i come back to my oringinal question are the standard spring rates with theses brands goin suit the qr track well?

I have no comment about the durability of the D2's as yet. They seem to be okay at the moment and currently are the primary coilover we use in the GTR. The DMS are very good but the D2's are taking the load atm.

However.. What can be so bad about it???

There is a dampner and a few bits hanging off it. We dont use the springs as it was found they are very inconsistant. And if you re-read my post you'll see im not 100% on the valving either.

There is a few people who will attest that the suspension in my GTR is far from regular. With totally re-designed control arm positions and layouts. It works extremely well and to date the D2's have done a good job.

Glad your liking those Tein's Adam. They did work very well.

All valid points. Ive been reading more and more threads links included, regarding the G4 and ppl saying to stay away from them. My car has coilovers atm, teins in the rear and jic in the front. I believe the front teins were taxed when imported into Australia. Having the coilovers i know how important they are with the little track work that ive done. I need something that will work straight up, little adjustment to get them working right and a good wheel alignment.

I dont mind spending the extra money if its going to help down the track. So im looking more towards tein super drift or greddy type-s coilovers. But i come back to my oringinal question are the standard spring rates with theses brands goin suit the qr track well?

bilsteins are great out of the box, and work with a decent range of springs, are awesome on the street, and many people use them on the track... go for a ride in someones car with bilsteins and swaybars

bilsteins are great out of the box, and work with a decent range of springs, are awesome on the street, and many people use them on the track... go for a ride in someones car with bilsteins and swaybars

so ur willing to drive up to qld and take me for a spin?