SAU Community

Modest Sound System For R33

I'm looking at replacing my old system(its not original either) , with nothing flash but a slight upgrade.

So.. I want it to sound nice but dont want to spend alot. And it has to take USB mp3s, as I dont use cds anymore.

Thoughts were spending $200-$300 on a nice head set (with usb) thats grunty enough not to need a amp. And using jaycar 6.5 kevlars coaxils front and rear. I was going to put some sound deadner in the doors and not worry about a sub.

Are the original speaker wires ok or is it worth the upgrade? And is a amp really worth the $$$

Those of you that have already done systems in 2 door r33's i appriecate any ideas and comments.

Esp head set and speakers selection.

thanks guys

I don't own a 33, but I did my system in my 32GTR and its a pretty descent setup.

I think most of the headunit can drive about 50w each channel (4 speakers).

Cheapest and quickest option would be to get any name brand headunit with USB MP3...etc and wire it up using the stock wiring. You should be able to just use the factory wiring and the HU can drive the front and rear no problem. Then get dynamat extreme and deaden both doors and the rear passenger area (under the B/C pillar trim). The only complicated part would be to make the speaker adaptor for the doors.

To go a bit better, get a descent HU with at least 2v RCA pre-out for front, rear and sub, for future proofing. If you want to get an external amp (a descent one), which you might as well do everything else and install a sub.

Hunt around eBay and the FS section in this forum, some of the used sound gear come up cheap and you'll save a bit of money going 2nd hand.

Oh and can I buy a single plastic DIN filler from any shop or do I have to go to Nissan?

You mean you have a spare din not in use? Just get a single din pocket and put it in there. Most audio shops like Ryda stocks them. Does not has to be nissan.

Edited by __PhaseShiftDown

• 2 weeks later...

So far Ive bought and installed a Pioneer usb head (thanks to jb's sales) and the jaycar 6.5 kevlar's just in the front.

Got the blank DIN and jap ariel adaptor from autobarn.

I got the 6.5s to fit with the door standard speaker mounts(with a bit of moding), and drilled the door plug to pull the cable thru.

Sound really good, still want to put put the jaycars on the back and maybe put some deadener in the door.

thanks for the advice guys.

Stock speaker wires should be ok, and sound deadener in the doors will definitely improve the bass. Try and seal the door enclosure with some rubber or similar material from Bunnings etc - cheap and works a treat!