SAU Community

Which is the ultimate? Supra VS GT-R

8thSIN

I think FYRARM's information and points are very credible and non biased, unlike the majority of skyline supporters here.. who have probably not driven either of these cars.

Your GTS-t with GTR body kit isnt a real GTR guys.. lets be serious now. :)

And so what if you've taken your friends GTR and/or Supra for a strap, you can't really know much about the feel and intracies of either car unless you are an owner.

Heresay, public opinion and rumours, particularly in the car community is often total BS.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Boostzor! ;)

Yeah, I am just throwing some facts out there for you guys. I know there aren't a large number of Supras in your part of the world.

The Supra is a chunky pig, but there is plenty of power on tap to make up for it. The MKIV suspension and factory brakes are superb, and many, many MKIV owners flog their cars at roadcourses with tons of success.

Neat site: www.onelapsupra.com for a peek at Andi Baritchi's very nimble MKIV. Vipers and Ferraris and Z06 Vettes fear him.

Again, it is personal choice. If I needed a daily monster to drive, or wanted to cut nasty lap times, I would choose a lightly-modded R33 GTR (my fave). I say "lightly" because I don't want broken 5-speeds or AWD components while racing a Corvette on the trip to the office. For all-out drag racing and street supremacy, I chose the Supra. Bulletproof rear IRS, nuclear-proof engine, and big 4-piston brakes. Not to mention you can run a 9-second ET and drive home with the a/c on.

...and chicks dig Supras. :uh-huh:

Either car is a great choice for assaulting domestic V8 owners...

There's a Supra in NOrth America putting 952 wheel horseower (minus drivetrain loss, probably about 1200) with stock internals. Granted that means everything else is not stock, but I haven't seen a Skyline do that yet. The guy drives it about once every two weeks. It retains all of the creatures comforts it came with.

There's less than 100 GT-Rs in north america so a comparison always ends u pas bench racing...anyway, "Ultimate" would be somewhat of an arbitrary definition since both cars tend to do th ings differently.

In Sport COmpact Magazine, a Supra and a Skyline are both in the Ultimate STreet Car Competition. The year before, a Viper won. Last year...I forgot.

It seems that Supras do very well in the US and Skylines (eg GTR) do very well in Japan. The reason why Supras do so well in the US is that Skylines are hard to get hold of over there (my opinion). The Supra came out in the US, and as such is a more popular car and has commanded more respect and attention, bringing huge horsepower to it. That's why the Supra in The Fast and The Furious (or Slow and the Curious) is "the car" instead of the yellow R33 (can't remember if it's a GTR or not?).

In Japan, they have both cars including the RX-7. From what I've read, in terms of drag cars...the Skyline GTRs and RX-7s are the most popular. The Skyline with it's traction and power, and the RX-7s with their power and lighter weight. The Supras are not common in drags because of their heavy weight.

In circuit racing the AWD EVOs and WRXs seem to fare well, also the GTRs. In high speed racing, the Supras seem more popular than the GTRs and are reflected in companies such as JUN with their yellow Supra.

All three cars in my opinion are excellent, but are better suited for different applications. I have always thought that the Supra is better for high speed racing, the Skyline better for drag racing where top speed isn't so important as acceleration, and the RX-7 a good all-rounder. In terms of looks, I would definitely go a black or white series 6 RX-7 with a 1999 Mazdaspeed front end ;) I think the chicks would like the RX-7 better too. Sleek and low, although I don't really like the rotor sound. Supras are also nice being small and bulky, but they weigh it in too. Skylines are a bigger car and I wouldn't think they'd be as nimble as a WRX or EVO. The R33 is quite a large 2-DOOR car.

So it all really depends on what you want to use it for. I'm think of selling my car soon, and as thinking of replacing it with either a GTR, Supra, RX-7 or 180sx. The reason going for the 180 is that it's cheaper, can spend more on it and get into DIRIFTING :) Or possibly an FC RX-7. Oh, and in terms of drifting...the RX-7 is all over the GTR and Supra.

Just my 2c :)

• 1 month later...

I like this topic!! :) lol

I gotta say an Rx7 RZ, Love da look and love da car!!!

How much would you be lookin at tho? Importing is WAY cheaper for those particular cars than buyin from Aus ive seen..

I have and will always love Skylines, infact i might get a R33.. but it will be a GTS-t lol

Unless i found a cheaper Rx7 RZ, then id prob look at that too..

To the topic, Supras and Skylines are both sexy as cars!!! I dunno what i like more... I think a R34 GTR Skyline would take my pick... :)

i think the latest record set by the jun supra would be 412km/h, but i remembered looking at the jun site and if i remember correctly, their 33 had recorded a 430 sumthing...

also...not 5th gear but 3rd gear...it's the weakest link in the GTR 33.

cannot say which one's better...have flogged n been flogged by supras on highway....but standing start...just leave them for dead.

worst loss recorded was to rx7 on the pacific highway...alleged to have at least 800bhp at the wheels...man was i flogged then...will never forget it when someone does burnouts during a roll-on...plus he spat some decent flames when changing gears

n the yellow skyline in the fast n furious was a gtr.

8thSIN - if you are in Melb and you want a good un-biased opinion - go down to ICE and talk to Nige and Gerald.

They have a Supra thats putting out 498rwkw and a R33 thats putting out 526rwkw. They will give you first hand experience on the pro's and cons of both cars for what you want.

Finally a thread which was worth reading through. It's been tough on these forums recently with the amount of mindless babble going on.

Hmmm, Supra Vs Skyline....which one is better?

If you are talking about dead stock cars and want one for everyday driving on the street and a bit of hoonery, there is no doubt in my mind the GTR (assuming that you are talking about an R33) is better. You have 4 seats, 4WD, a boot and overall a nice road setup. The Supra lacks practicality in that it only has 2 seats, the boot space is minimal and in the wet, it can be a handful, even in stock form.

When you get into the minor performance mods (250-270rwkw) such as exhaust, cam gears, front pipes, etc, I would still go for the GTR for the fact that it will still drive like an everyday car with practicality.

Then you come to moderate mods where your car starts pushing around the 280-350rwkw mark and turbos (2530s or similar) are changed along with fuel system considerations. The GTR bottom end will hold it but it is a case of how long. If you punish both cars equally and give it full rev changes when you go out, the GTR can be a bit tempramental. The Supra on the other hand, due to being a 3 litre will handle the power a lot better. It doens't have to rev as hard to make the same power due to displacement. The GTR once pushing 350+rwkw will require some bottom end work aswell as headwork whereas the Supra can still run on the stock bottom end. Twin plate clutch is a minimum on both cars but more importanly on the GTR as it is 4WD and more stress is put on the drivetrain when launching or taking off from traffic lights. Brakes should be a consideration if you intend on doing some circuit work though as I have found that the stock pads in the GTR fade quickly when you have to stop from high speeds frequently. Standard ECUs also need to be changed. In the case of the GTR, a PowerFC should surfice if you don't mind the AFMs. I persoanlly went with an Autronic SMC as it was cheaper than a Motec M800 or M8. PowerFCs for Supras are also very expensive so either an Autronic or Motec would be a better alternative, aswell as using MAP sensors rather than AFMs. You may even want to consider larger intercoolers at this stage.

When you get to the 350+rwkw mark, both cars need some attention if you want a reliable engine which won't blow up, even though the Supra will still handle this power quite reliably without too much work. If you want to keep the car streetable, you will have to begin considering the turbo setup. This will dictate how much power you are going to make in the end and how much lag you are willing to sacrifice for the power. The bigger the turbo(s), the more lag you will have. The money you spend on the turbo setup here should be the final choice you make for overall power as changing the turbo(s) again later will simply increase the cost of your build. You will now have to spend big to make a reliable streetable engine. Bottom ends and heads on both cars need to be modified if you intend on having the engine last. Forged pistons, strengthened rods, bearings, bigger camshafts. The whole lot should be changed over for tougher parts. The drivetrain such as a triple plate cluch maybe required depending on the type of driving you do.

Once you are pushing the 450+rwkw, forget about stock engine parts. Nothing will hold this kind of power reliably. If you didn't change things like pistons, rods, etc in the last power range, it's time to do it now otherwise you'll be driving a hand granade, especially in the GTR. Trust me on this one. I've seen some nasty things happen to shoddy built engines with this power. If everything has been done correctly and shortcuts haven't been taken, this power can be made reliably with correctly sized turbo(s) and lag will be kept to a minimum. My turbo is the same size as a T88 but as it was custom built for my engine, full boost comes in about 1000rpm faster than a T88. The Ice Performance Supra runs on TD-06 20G and considering the size of the turbos and the power it makes, lag is surprisingly minimal. The Supra is still running the stock Getrag gearbox but the GTR is now running an OS Giken Cross Mission gearset with an OS input shaft. I did this for reliabilty sake rather than a necessity but I imagine it would have to be done at some point due to the drag racing we do.

In summary, alhtough the GTR is going to cost more in the long run to build to a high power output, I would still choose it over the Supra due to the 4WD aspect and practicality of it. If these 2 things aren't important to you, go the Supra as it will be cheaper to build and more fun wheel spinning all over the place, wet or dry.

I know I've forgotten some details here but I'm at work and didn't have much time to think about it all before I typed it. It does cover the most of the important points though.

http://iceperformance.com.au/gtr/

http://iceperformance.com.au/supra/

/fastandthefuriousmode = 1

Supra...because it's a 10 second car. :rofl:

/fastandthefuriousmode = 0

/2fast2furiousmode = 1

GT-R...because it's a 10 second car...:confused:

/2fast2furiousmode = 0

There must be a reason why Nagata-san (Top Secret boss) put a RB26DETT in the Supra he got busted in trying to crack 320km/h in England.

8thSIN - if you are in Melb and you want a good un-biased opinion - go down to ICE and talk to Nige and Gerald.

They have a Supra thats putting out 498rwkw and a R33 thats putting out 526rwkw. They will give you first hand experience on the pro's and cons of both cars for what you want.

Or Dave (Leewah) can tell you on here as he owns the R33 I was talking about!

thanks so much guys for all the info and responses. had a good time reading through and the toughest part would be trying to work out exactly what I want the car to do for me. Coming from a 200kw wrx, I think I would still prefer the 4wd system and good streetability. but sometimes, after watching various video clips of high powered Supras, it can be hard to deny one as well at top speed :rofl:

thx again!

be thankful u have the choice :rofl:

I dont think i will have a GTR for awhile! lol

Or a supra of course

Both awsome cars.. both look sweet as...

I cant pick what i like more either... lol

I like sequential turbos, helps with take off etc N its a cool idea

Again... be happy you can choose, im rather limited... but i tell you i also LOVE rx7s!!!!!!

Ohhhh why cant life be fair... hehe

If you could buy a nice GT-T r34 (2.5L neo turbo) or a Twin Turbo Supra.. finding some nice one for say a cheap 30k, what would you choose pplz??

Thats my aim to save for a GT-T R34 now..

Just looking for some thoughts on the matter considering this is a skyline vs supra thread.. hehe

What do you think?